View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Movies with Terrible Endings?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:08 am 
born to perform.

I'm sure you guys have seen 'em.
What are some movies you saw that were really good, but had terrible endings?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head, is Se7en. It made you think there was going to be something really awesome (in its literal meaning), something crazy was going to happen. Well, that didn't happen, and what did happen was something predictable, and just plain boring.

Post subject: Re: Movies with Terrible Endings?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:29 am 
born to perform.

Just watched one tonight... the hills have eyes 2, terribly, terribly, terrible

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:45 am 
born to perform.

The end of "Law Abiding Citizen" was absolutely, ridiculously, horrible. It was so unrealistic that I can't possibly begin to think that it was a conclusion that made any sense.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:02 am 
born to perform.

FlapJackGeorge wrote:
I'm sure you guys have seen 'em.
What are some movies you saw that were really good, but had terrible endings?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head, is Se7en. It made you think there was going to be something really awesome (in its literal meaning), something crazy was going to happen. Well, that didn't happen, and what did happen was something predictable, and just plain boring.

Depends on when you saw it. It came out in 1995. That was back when it was rare for a "hero" not to save the day. These days endings like that are pretty common, especially in thrillers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:10 am 
Emperor Penguin

Gimpdiggity wrote:
The end of "Law Abiding Citizen" was absolutely, ridiculously, horrible. It was so unrealistic that I can't possibly begin to think that it was a conclusion that made any sense.

Dont tell me that, ive been wanting to see it since I saw the previews a few months back. Was going to rent it next week.

There are plenty of movies I think that have bad endings, but its early so my brain aint functing fully right now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:16 am 
born to perform.

se7en had a bad ending? no way..........

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:17 pm 
born to perform.

Cookmasterflip wrote:

One of the worst I've seen. It was extremely predictable...for me anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:30 pm 
Emperor Penguin

FlapJackGeorge wrote:
Cookmasterflip wrote:

One of the worst I've seen. It was extremely predictable...for me anyway.

95% of movie endings are predictable- Doesnt make them bad endings.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:09 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Dead Silence had a horrible ending. I thought it was a very good movie up until the end. The scene where you see a bunch of tongues coming out of a mouth was just stupid. That killed the movie for me.

That is the only one I can think of right now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:41 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
Dead Silence had a horrible ending. I thought it was a very good movie up until the end. The scene where you see a bunch of tongues coming out of a mouth was just stupid. That killed the movie for me.

That is the only one I can think of right now.

Wait a minute...you got that backwards...Dead Silence was awful, but had an incredible ending!..

As for Se7en...I don't understand how anything was good about the ending. It was so much less than could have been expected or anticipated...it was like they pushed this incredible plot twist, and it just never happened.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:55 pm 
born to perform.

FlapJackGeorge wrote:
As for Se7en...I don't understand how anything was good about the ending. It was so much less than could have been expected or anticipated...it was like they pushed this incredible plot twist, and it just never happened.

Again I'll go back to my original statement. You are evaluating it 15 years from when it was released.

Spoiler alert

What was unpredictable, and thus original, about it was that the good guys lost and the bad guy prevailed. That was a new formula for a major Hollywood release at the time. A lot more movies, especially in the thriller genre, have adopted that formula over the last decade. But before that I challenge you to come up with 5 Hollywood movies willing to do that in the decade leading up to its' release. I'm sure there are 5 but I would have to really hunt around for them. So saying it was predictable and boring is like saying that Star Wars (original) had bad special effects. By 2010 standards the effects in Star Wars look pretty cheesy but at the time it was pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:25 am 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
FlapJackGeorge wrote:

Again I'll go back to my original statement. You are evaluating it 15 years from when it was released.

Spoiler alert

What was unpredictable, and thus original, about it was that the good guys lost and the bad guy prevailed. That was a new formula for a major Hollywood release at the time. A lot more movies, especially in the thriller genre, have adopted that formula over the last decade. But before that I challenge you to come up with 5 Hollywood movies willing to do that in the decade leading up to its' release.
No. I'm not saying the bad guys prevailing as unoriginal. And for you to think that's what I'm talking about is somewhat foolish. I'm talking about what actually happened. I saw the movie when I did, I can't go back and put myself in the mindset of when it was first released, I'm sorry. By my standards it was predictable. I said nothing about originality. But yes, it was boring. Another thing I should mention is that I felt it shouldn't have ended when it did, I think it should have gone on longer. It's just that, thje movie was so great and then the ending was too bland. It didn't keep up with the greatness of the rest of the movie.
I'm sure there are 5 but I would have to really hunt around for them. So saying it was predictable and boring is like saying that Star Wars (original) had bad special effects. By 2010 standards the effects in Star Wars look pretty cheesy but at the time it was pretty amazing.
I guess...but it's not really a fair comparison. Se7en didn't have/need special effects. It needed a good ending.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:09 am 
born to perform.

FlapJackGeorge wrote:
eostresh wrote:
FlapJackGeorge wrote:

Spoiler alert

What was unpredictable, and thus original, about it was that the good guys lost and the bad guy prevailed. That was a new formula for a major Hollywood release at the time. A lot more movies, especially in the thriller genre, have adopted that formula over the last decade. But before that I challenge you to come up with 5 Hollywood movies willing to do that in the decade leading up to its' release.
No. I'm not saying the bad guys prevailing as unoriginal. And for you to think that's what I'm talking about is somewhat foolish. I'm talking about what actually happened. I saw the movie when I did, I can't go back and put myself in the mindset of when it was first released, I'm sorry. By my standards it was predictable. I said nothing about originality. But yes, it was boring. Another thing I should mention is that I felt it shouldn't have ended when it did, I think it should have gone on longer. It's just that, thje movie was so great and then the ending was too bland. It didn't keep up with the greatness of the rest of the movie.
I'm sure there are 5 but I would have to really hunt around for them. So saying it was predictable and boring is like saying that Star Wars (original) had bad special effects. By 2010 standards the effects in Star Wars look pretty cheesy but at the time it was pretty amazing.
I guess...but it's not really a fair comparison. Se7en didn't have/need special effects. It needed a good ending.

Urm...I don't think that last bit came out how I meant it to sound. I'm simply comparing the way we look at the star Wars FX. We give it high marks for the time in which it was made. Same goes with the twist at the end of Se7en. The good guy lost, the bad guy won, that was the twist back in 95. It's Okay to think it boring. I have no qualms with that. That all comes down to personal taste and opinion. In my personal opinion Gone With the Wind is long, boring, predictable, and poorly acted....but I don't think others should feel the same way. Especially to someone who had seen it back in the late 30s. That movie was simply groundbreaking and I can appreciate it for those reasons. The fact that it has gotten duller and less impressive as Hollywood has continually pushed the bounds of screenwriting, acting, special effects, yada yada doesn't make it a bad movie. Just a bit outdated. Se7en will never be a true classic. It didn't set the bar high enough in any one area of film making but it is a good movie. If nothing else it rekindled an interest in film noir that had been sorely lacking throughout most of the 80s.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:02 am 
born to perform.

3:10 to Yuma
Not so much a terrible ending as a nonsensical one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:07 pm 
born to perform.

Cry Wolf