View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: The Last Exorcism
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:32 am 
born to perform.

bucky310 wrote:
FlapJackGeorge wrote:
akirafist wrote:
I just sat through his horrible flick with my girlfriend. People were throwing stuff at the screen because of the stupid ending. Several people yelled, "I WANT MY F%$#& MONEY BACK!"

Ho ho ho, people need to learn to appreciate a good movie when they see one.

I shouldn't stir the pot, but YOU of all people are saying this?

I do appreciate good movies, what movie did I not appreciate? (And if you are going to say The Hangover or The Dark Knight, just don't, I loved both movies. I simply critiqued them based on my own personal opinions, that doesn't mean I didn't like them or appreciate them.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:05 pm 
born to perform.

In reference to The Dark Knight you said:
FlapJackGeorge wrote:
The movie simply looks dull. I wasn't very impressed with The Dark Knight (and just to add, I don't think Heath Ledger was amazing in it. This is not a critique because you do not say why you don't think he was amazing) And Inception looks worse than The Dark Knight. (Obviously I compare them because it's the same director.) If I am not mistaken, you liked inception, but this was before it came out so I'm including it here to show you that first impressions can be wrong
(Please don't reply to this, I don't want to start anything, this is just my opinion, take it or leave it.)

Over at this topic:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=10008&t=158047&start=0&hilit=

In reference to The Hangover you said:
FlapJackGeorge wrote:
Hilarious? No, the movie isn't even a comedy.
Sure there are funny parts, but I didn't laugh much during the movie, just a few chuckles now and then.

Was it good? Yeah, it was alright, the majority of it was boring though, after everyone was telling me how "Great and hilarious" it was, I kind of expected a lot more, so because it didn't deliver that, that's probably why I wasn't impressed.

Would I own it? DEFINITELY NOT! The movie was okay. It was fun and interesting finding out what happened and all, and overall it had a good story, but I definitely wouldn't watch it again.

Some things people might bring up:

"You have to watch it with people, friends, etc."
-No you don't, you don't have to watch it at all, it's really not that great. Not at all a critique
"You just don't get it"
-Yeah I do. I do get it. If they were trying to make a comedy, they failed. If they were trying to make a cute adenture with some comedic elements, they succeeded. I personally wouldn't consider this a critique either.

I will say that the 21 parody was hilarious, and that I cracked up while watching that scene.
I will also say that everything with Mike Tyson was so boring and I don't know why they bothered with that...

Overall, I give it a 5/10. It was below par and really doesn't deserve the credit that it gets.

The bolded and underlined parts I included above either indicate that I didn't quote something or that it was in praise of The Hangover. As I even pointed out in that topic, you disliked it, and it got locked because you were trying to prove me wrong or something.
The full locked topic is over here:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=10008&t=157251&start=0&hilit=

Sounds to me like you didn't love either of the movies, and in fact either hated or disliked them very strongly. I should also point out that the phrases of yours that I italicized above are NOT critiques, they're just expressions of not liking the movie. But you know, I'm never going to change your mind because you're always right about everything. You can enjoy responding to me, go ahead, prove me wrong, I'd enjoy it. But to be honest, you've always sounded like an angry teenager to me, and that'll never change if you keep posting the way you do. Sure I don't sound much better to some, but I know when I've said enough, and now I have, so I'm finished with this topic. Have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:01 pm 
born to perform.

bucky310 wrote:
In reference to The Dark Knight you said:
FlapJackGeorge wrote:
The movie simply looks dull. I wasn't very impressed with The Dark Knight (and just to add, I don't think Heath Ledger was amazing in it. This is not a critique because you do not say why you don't think he was amazing) And Inception looks worse than The Dark Knight. (Obviously I compare them because it's the same director.) If I am not mistaken, you liked inception, but this was before it came out so I'm including it here to show you that first impressions can be wrong
(Please don't reply to this, I don't want to start anything, this is just my opinion, take it or leave it.)

Quote:
In my defense, this was after watching it the third time. Now, a lot of what I said was true the first time: I wasn't impressed with it. But what I mean is, I wasn't impressed with the acting. Sorry, I just wasn't. I'm not saying the acting was bad, I'm saying I wasn't impressed with it. The acting was quite good, in fact. And, what I meant to say about Heath Ledger was that I don't think he was the perfect actor for the roll of the Joker. I do think he did quite well, but I think his character could have been portrayed just as well by other actors. As for Inception, I don't know why you even brought that up. First impressions are often very bad. (Not just with movies but with a lot of things.) That is one of the reasons I didn't watch the trailer for The Last Exorcism, because I knew I wouldn't want to see it if I did.

Over at this topic:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=10008&t=158047&start=0&hilit=

In reference to The Hangover you said:
FlapJackGeorge wrote:
Hilarious? No, the movie isn't even a comedy.
Sure there are funny parts, but I didn't laugh much during the movie, just a few chuckles now and then.

Was it good? Yeah, it was alright, the majority of it was boring though, after everyone was telling me how "Great and hilarious" it was, I kind of expected a lot more, so because it didn't deliver that, that's probably why I wasn't impressed.

Would I own it? DEFINITELY NOT! The movie was okay. It was fun and interesting finding out what happened and all, and overall it had a good story, but I definitely wouldn't watch it again.

Some things people might bring up:

"You have to watch it with people, friends, etc."
-No you don't, you don't have to watch it at all, it's really not that great. Not at all a critique
"You just don't get it"
-Yeah I do. I do get it. If they were trying to make a comedy, they failed. If they were trying to make a cute adenture with some comedic elements, they succeeded. I personally wouldn't consider this a critique either.

I will say that the 21 parody was hilarious, and that I cracked up while watching that scene.
I will also say that everything with Mike Tyson was so boring and I don't know why they bothered with that...

Overall, I give it a 5/10. It was below par and really doesn't deserve the credit that it gets.

Quote:
Well, I must say, looking back I think I might have judged this movie a bit unfairly. And honestly, I could care less if you "think it's a critique" or not. It's a critique, get over it. I don't have any reason to meet your standards for the perfect critique.

The bolded and underlined parts I included above either indicate that I didn't quote something or that it was in praise of The Hangover. As I even pointed out in that topic, you disliked it, and it got locked because you were trying to prove me wrong or something.
Quote:
No, see what happened was, you were being a jerk, and telling me I disliked it when that clearly wasn't the case, and still isn't, and for some reason you can't get that through your thick skull. I liked the movie. Why can't you understand that? I still don't think it was much of a comedy, so what? Just because a movie isn't funny doesn't mean it isn't good. I think I said that before, in that topic.

The full locked topic is over here:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=10008&t=157251&start=0&hilit=

Sounds to me like you didn't love either of the movies, and in fact either hated or disliked them very strongly.
Quote:
Either you can't read or you're ignorant. I loved them both. I don't have to think a movie is amazing to love it. I loved Are You Scared. and that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I should also point out that the phrases of yours that I italicized above are NOT critiques, they're just expressions of not liking the movie.
Quote:
Except for the fact that they're not expressions of me not liking the movie (I made it pretty clear that I did not dislike either movie. I may have said I disliked parts of the movies, but that does not hold for the entire movie.), and the fact that they are critiques.

But you know, I'm never going to change your mind because you're always right about everything.
Quote:
Well, it sounds to me like you have to be right about everything, since you think you have the definitive answer to what a perfect critique has to look like or it isn't a critique. You told me I didn't like movies I did like, and now you're telling me I'm right about everything (sarcastically, but still...) My opinion isn't right or wrong. You're the only one who thinks you're right in this situation.

You can enjoy responding to me, go ahead, prove me wrong, I'd enjoy it.
Quote:
Because there is nothing to prove here, you obviously are missing the entire point of this.

But to be honest, you've always sounded like an angry teenager to me, and that'll never change if you keep posting the way you do. Sure I don't sound much better to some, but I know when I've said enough, and now I have, so I'm finished with this topic. Have fun.

Okay, first of all, opinions change. (Believe It or Not) And, though my opinion of the Dark Knight hasn't changed much. My opinion of the Hangover has changed a bit since watching it, and since gaining a bit more respect for Zack Galifanakis.

Second, here's the definition of critique for you:
"a criticism or critical comment on some problem, subject, etc."
-Dictionary.com
And here's the definition of "criticism"
"the act of passing judgment as to the merits of anything."

So, yeah, believe it or not, those actually were critiques. :D Nowhere does it say I have to say why I thought what I did. And frankly, you quoted me. You could have just picked out anything I said and then said "oh, this isn't a critique."

Look, I understand you want to argue with me, but I don't want to argue with you. I have my opinions. I appreciate a good movie when I see one. I'm not trying to meet your standards or anyone else's.

Also, can we please get back on topic.