View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Last Exorcism
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:29 am 
born to perform.

I saw The Last Exorcism last night. And it was excellent, superb story, great idea, and the whole thing was just one reveal after the next (sort of), until the ridiculous ending came about (Ridiculous=Amazing). It reminded me of [REC] as far as the filming goes, and Marble Hornets as far as idea and story goes (in some sense, not all). It was just overall one of the better exorcism movies I've seen (I am a big fan of Exorcism movies, and this was no exception). I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes a good, original horror movie. And I find it kind of amazing that they managed to pull of a PG-13 rating (it was bloody...though I have a feeling they might release an R-version, or an Unrated-version when it releases on DVD...can't know for sure, though...)

As my sister said (she saw it too), " If you like horror movies that don't completely suck, The Last Exorcism is a movie you should perhaps consider checking out! It's funny, snarky, and pretty well-thought out, while still being creepy."

Anyone else see it?

Post subject: Re: The Last Exorcism
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:18 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for the info, I REALLY want to see this.

-JT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:49 am 
Team Penguin

I have not seen it, but just seeing each brief trailer on TV and in the movies is pretty frightening. It's pretty rare for a trailer to actually be scary so I'm sure this has a lot going for itself. On a side note, has anybody seen those promo videos of the people on Chatroulette with the girl for this movie?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:18 pm 
born to perform.

girspiggy wrote:
I have not seen it, but just seeing each brief trailer on TV and in the movies is pretty frightening. It's pretty rare for a trailer to actually be scary so I'm sure this has a lot going for itself. On a side note, has anybody seen those promo videos of the people on Chatroulette with the girl for this movie?

I actually hadn't seen any of the trailers before I saw the movie, I just knew that it was an exorcism movie, and I like exorcism movies, so I wanted to see it. I did watch the trailer afterwards, and honestly, I thought it made the movie look kind of bad. And yes, I watched some Chatroulette reactions a couple hours ago...they're pretty funny, but I can imagine if I was in their situation, it'd be pretty darn creepy!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:05 am 
born to perform.

I liked it but the end was just sort of stupid to me. Some of it was really good though. Overall for all horror movies ever I'd give it a 5/10 but for movies this year its a good 8/10.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:51 am 
born to perform.

harrybob10 wrote:
I liked it but the end was just sort of stupid to me. Some of it was really good though. Overall for all horror movies ever I'd give it a 5/10 but for movies this year its a good 8/10.

That's what I've been hearing, that the ending was bad, or that people didn't like it. Why is that exactly? I thought it was excellent.

When he preached the banana bread recipe...that was hilarious...:D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:19 am 
born to perform.

FlapJackGeorge wrote:
harrybob10 wrote:

That's what I've been hearing, that the ending was bad, or that people didn't like it. Why is that exactly? I thought it was excellent.

I think a lot of people didn't pay enough attention to fully understand and appreciate the ending.

SPOILERS AHEAD

A lot of people didn't understand the brother character at all. They don't realize that he says its all good between him and the exorcist (after seeing he's a phony) because the brother was a part of the cult and did not want the sister exorcised for real.

They also don't understand the the genious of the whole, this girl could possibly be crazy and not posessed aspect of the plot. At times I found myself second guessing weather or not she truly was posessed.

Another thing I realized after finishing the movie is that the reverend at the end restored his faith in god. He went in with that cross voluntarily realizing that since this happened that god was real and would (hopefully) give him the stregnth to kill whatever the edited was in that fire. And I have to admit the dude with the axe chopping up the camera lady was pretty awesome.

The ultimate reason I would say people don't like the ending though is not because it was bad, it is because it has been completely overused recently. I mean with cloverfield, the blair witch, (haven't seen quarintene but was told it ended the same way), people are just sick of movies where you "make your own ending." It is almost just becoming to cliche for a movie to end abrubtly with no closure.

One last reason I didn't completely like the whole film was because a lot of the good parts including the ending and the spoiler of killing the cat where in the trailer. I knew 1.There would be a second exorcism 2. She would kill the cat 3. That there would be some sort of large fire. I was waiting for the fire the whole time only to find out it was the last scene in the whole movie.

Just my 2c

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:22 am 
Penguin

harrybob10 wrote:
FlapJackGeorge wrote:
harrybob10 wrote:

I think a lot of people didn't pay enough attention to fully understand and appreciate the ending.

SPOILERS AHEAD

A lot of people didn't understand the brother character at all. They don't realize that he says its all good between him and the exorcist (after seeing he's a phony) because the brother was a part of the cult and did not want the sister exorcised for real.

They also don't understand the the genious of the whole, this girl could possibly be crazy and not posessed aspect of the plot. At times I found myself second guessing weather or not she truly was posessed.

Another thing I realized after finishing the movie is that the reverend at the end restored his faith in god. He went in with that cross voluntarily realizing that since this happened that god was real and would (hopefully) give him the stregnth to kill whatever the edited was in that fire. And I have to admit the dude with the axe chopping up the camera lady was pretty awesome.

The ultimate reason I would say people don't like the ending though is not because it was bad, it is because it has been completely overused recently. I mean with cloverfield, the blair witch, (haven't seen quarintene but was told it ended the same way), people are just sick of movies where you "make your own ending." It is almost just becoming to cliche for a movie to end abrubtly with no closure.

One last reason I didn't completely like the whole film was because a lot of the good parts including the ending and the spoiler of killing the cat where in the trailer. I knew 1.There would be a second exorcism 2. She would kill the cat 3. That there would be some sort of large fire. I was waiting for the fire the whole time only to find out it was the last scene in the whole movie.

Just my 2c

I avoided trailers like the plague because I'm so sick of things being spoiled by them (heck Quarantine spoiled the ending of the movie in their trailer).

SPOILER:
Harrybob, I could not agree more about the overused ending and it's exactly what I've been telling people. Blair Witch, Quarantine, Paranormal Activity, and now The Last Exorcism all have the same camera falls to the ground ending. It's officially stale!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:04 pm 
born to perform.

harrybob10 wrote:

SPOILERS AHEAD

Quote:
Yeah, I agree, it seems a lot of people (and even some of the people I went with) totally forgot about him by the end of the movie.

Quote:
Yeah, my sister and I agreed that nothing in the movie really pointed to her being posessed, but being a psychology student, I think schizophrenia and DID made sense to me that other people wouldn't understand.

Quote:
I think he lost a little bit of mental stability, but I think it was the result of the trauma of what had happened, that made him believe he truly did have the power of God on his side.

Quote:
I disagree, I don't think it was a "make your own ending" in this case. I think it ended just where it should have and that thinking further than where it did end is pointless. I found the ending to be, just that, an ending. There are unanswered questions, yes, but I don't think it's really necessary to answer them. (I guess it kind of also helps that I haven't seen any of the movies that supposedly also have this ending.)

Quote:
This makes me glad I didn't watch the trailer beforehand. And then when I watched it afterward, I was like 1."This doesn't actually look very good" and 2. "What the heck, they spoiled so much!"

Just my 2c

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:34 am 

FlapJackGeorge wrote:
I saw The Last Exorcism last night. And it was excellent, superb story, great idea, and the whole thing was just one reveal after the next (sort of), until the ridiculous ending came about (Ridiculous=Amazing). It reminded me of [REC] as far as the filming goes

Original Spanish [REC] or remade American [REC]?

You should watch the original if you have not seen it, as it has more of the religion angle to it.

And the Spanish sequel [REC] 2 really takes the religious angle to a new level. I'm excited and curious to see where they go with this. [REC] Genesis and [REC] Apocalypse should rock!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:07 am 
born to perform.

balducci wrote:
FlapJackGeorge wrote:
I saw The Last Exorcism last night. And it was excellent, superb story, great idea, and the whole thing was just one reveal after the next (sort of), until the ridiculous ending came about (Ridiculous=Amazing). It reminded me of [REC] as far as the filming goes

You should watch the original if you have not seen it, as it has more of the religion angle to it.

And the Spanish sequel [REC] 2 really takes the religious angle to a new level. I'm excited and curious to see where they go with this. [REC] Genesis and [REC] Apocalypse should rock!

The American version is quarentine right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:27 pm 
born to perform.

harrybob10 wrote:
The American version is quarentine right?

That would be correct.

balducci wrote:
FlapJackGeorge wrote:

Quote:
[REC], not Quarentine.

Quote:
I didn't finish it...I don't remember why, I really liked it...

I heard that [REC]2 was practically an exorcism movie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:09 pm 
born to perform.

I just sat through his horrible flick with my girlfriend. People were throwing stuff at the screen because of the stupid ending. Several people yelled, "I WANT MY F%$#& MONEY BACK!"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:15 am 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
I just sat through his horrible flick with my girlfriend. People were throwing stuff at the screen because of the stupid ending. Several people yelled, "I WANT MY F%$#& MONEY BACK!"

Ho ho ho, people need to learn to appreciate a good movie when they see one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:36 am 
born to perform.

FlapJackGeorge wrote:
akirafist wrote:

Ho ho ho, people need to learn to appreciate a good movie when they see one.

I shouldn't stir the pot, but YOU of all people are saying this?