View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:59 pm 
born to perform.

This is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know how many Muslim families were negatively effected by the 9/11 attack? I mean, I assume there had to be at least one Muslim working in those buildings...

Also, Balducci, thanks for the knowledge!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:39 pm 
born to perform.

Balducci had a great post, thank you for that reading.

The problem with the preacher burning Qurans is also that there are military leaders who are worried that it will cause a lot of retaliations, resulting in unnecessary U.S. troop deaths.

As I see it, there are two possible reasons for the Islamic center being built. One is to "stick it" to the Americans and non-Muslims. The other being to just build the center because they need the facility.

There is only one possible reason that the preacher is burning Qurans, because he came right out and gave his reason. He's doing it because he hates Muslims.

-JT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:22 am 

FlapJackGeorge wrote:
This is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know how many Muslim families were negatively effected by the 9/11 attack? I mean, I assume there had to be at least one Muslim working in those buildings...

You're welcome.

Regarding your question, I imagine the proportion of Muslims killed was probably more or less the same as the proportion of Muslims among the general population in the U.S. So it wouldn't be a huge number, less than a hundred or so? (The story I linked to below says about 60.)

By the way, and I bet most people here did not know this, the 2 World Trade Center building contained a Muslim prayer room! (Which really shouldn't be all that surprising ... but unless you are Muslim, you don't think about prayer rooms much.)

See this story: "Muslims and Islam Were Part of Twin Towers’ Life"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/nyreg ... igion.html

While you are at it, I thought this opinion / editorial was quite good:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/opini ... of.html?hp

It concludes as follows:

Hats off to a rabbinical student in Massachusetts, Rachel Barenblat, who raised money to replace prayer rugs that a drunken intruder had urinated on at a mosque. She told me that she quickly raised more than $1,100 from Jews and Christians alike.

Above all, bravo to those Christian, Jewish and Muslim leaders who jointly denounced what they called “the anti-Muslim frenzy.”

“We know what it is like when people have attacked us physically, have attacked us verbally, and others have remained silent,” said Rabbi David Saperstein. “It cannot happen here in America in 2010.”

Cardinal Theodore McCarrick put it this way: “This is not America. America was not built on hate.”

“Shame on you,” the Rev. Richard Cizik, a leading evangelical Christian, said to those castigating Islam. “You bring dishonor to the name of Jesus Christ. You directly disobey his commandment to love your neighbor.”

Amen.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:28 am 

miniserb725 wrote:

There is only one possible reason that the preacher is burning Qurans, because he came right out and gave his reason. He's doing it because he hates Muslims.

To his credit, I guess he did not go through with it. Although others did. The Drudge Report site today was quite a dog's breakfast ... there were stories there of Muslims burning Bibles, Christians burning and destroying Korans (even though the one Pastor did not go through with his protest, several other Christian protesters did), one Muslim woman shooting and killing 2 people at work, and 12 American soldiers on trial for "killing Muslims for sport and collecting their fingers as trophies" in Afghanistan.

Madness. You can see why so many are down on religion. Can't we all just get along? Not in my lifetime, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:15 am 
born to perform.

I wonder if any of these Christians actually read any of the Koran, and if any of these Muslims read any of the Bible. I'm also wondering where they got them...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:56 pm 
born to perform.

FlapJackGeorge wrote:

A lot of Muslim familys were negatively affected. In fact i would say the vast majority of them. As soon as the attacks happened what group in America was persecuted the most. The Muslims. On the news you see stories of them doing this and doing that and how we should be weary of them. I know a few muslim familys myself who have told me that it is hard for them to go out without some sort of negativity being put their way.

Perhaps they did not get killed but the 9-11 attack certainly did them no favors and set them back in this country a fair deal.

I vote they put that Mosque right on top of ground zero if they are allowed the permits and the land rights are sold to them.

As always,
Dylan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:53 am 

The reverend that said he was going to burn the Koran proved exactly what he wanted to. He manipulated the media to giving him publicity and he proved how we Americans will bend over to avoid offending anyone.

The Islamic extremists burn the Christian bible and we say nothing but if one wants to offend them we SCREAM NO!!! The government will not use the words "Islamic Extremists" because they don't want to offend the mainstream Muslims.

I do not in any way favour burning any book, especially a holy book in any religion. I am not saying the Reverend was right to say he was going to burn a book. I am saying that what he did pointed out the stupidity of the press by giving his stupiud human trick so much publicity..

Paddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:47 pm 
born to perform.

balducci wrote:
miniserb725 wrote:

To his credit, I guess he did not go through with it. Although others did. The Drudge Report site today was quite a dog's breakfast ... there were stories there of Muslims burning Bibles, Christians burning and destroying Korans (even though the one Pastor did not go through with his protest, several other Christian protesters did), one Muslim woman shooting and killing 2 people at work, and 12 American soldiers on trial for "killing Muslims for sport and collecting their fingers as trophies" in Afghanistan.

Madness. You can see why so many are down on religion. Can't we all just get along? Not in my lifetime, I'm sure.

And everyone's heard about the ears in Vietnam. As I always say...the country, religion, etc. is not the problem. Stupid/ignorant people are the problem.

Thank you for all the incredibly illuminating links Balducci.

-JT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 pm 
born to perform.

miniserb725 wrote:
Balducci had a great post, thank you for that reading.

The problem with the preacher burning Qurans is also that there are military leaders who are worried that it will cause a lot of retaliations, resulting in unnecessary U.S. troop deaths.

As I see it, there are two possible reasons for the Islamic center being built. One is to "stick it" to the Americans and non-Muslims. The other being to just build the center because they need the facility.

-JT

As one of the troops in harms way, I have to say I could really care less if that pastor wanted to burn them or not. People over there want to kill us regardless, it really doesn't make much difference. I'm with Paddy on this one. I don't condone burning holy books by any means, but people have their rights, just as muslims have a right to build a mosque.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:25 pm 
born to perform.

I understand people have rights. But the extent to which they should be used is a matter of opinion. Having the ability to do something is different from whether you should or not.

I offer you thanks and respect for being one of the troops in harms way.

-JT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:45 pm 
born to perform.

I totally understand where you're coming from on people's descisions to exercise certain rights...too bad more people don't see it your way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:16 am 

cspace11, Semper Fi brother! I spent 3 years in combat in 'Nam back in the early 60's so I know what you're going thru.