View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:59 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 07 Oct 2008
Posts: 2167
Location: Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White
This is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know how many Muslim families were negatively effected by the 9/11 attack? I mean, I assume there had to be at least one Muslim working in those buildings...

Also, Balducci, thanks for the knowledge!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 3462
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Balducci had a great post, thank you for that reading.

The problem with the preacher burning Qurans is also that there are military leaders who are worried that it will cause a lot of retaliations, resulting in unnecessary U.S. troop deaths.

As I see it, there are two possible reasons for the Islamic center being built. One is to "stick it" to the Americans and non-Muslims. The other being to just build the center because they need the facility.

There is only one possible reason that the preacher is burning Qurans, because he came right out and gave his reason. He's doing it because he hates Muslims.

-JT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:22 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Posts: 6302
Location: Neither here nor there.
FlapJackGeorge wrote:
This is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know how many Muslim families were negatively effected by the 9/11 attack? I mean, I assume there had to be at least one Muslim working in those buildings...

Also, Balducci, thanks for the knowledge!

You're welcome.

Regarding your question, I imagine the proportion of Muslims killed was probably more or less the same as the proportion of Muslims among the general population in the U.S. So it wouldn't be a huge number, less than a hundred or so? (The story I linked to below says about 60.)

By the way, and I bet most people here did not know this, the 2 World Trade Center building contained a Muslim prayer room! (Which really shouldn't be all that surprising ... but unless you are Muslim, you don't think about prayer rooms much.)

See this story: "Muslims and Islam Were Part of Twin Towers’ Life"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/nyreg ... igion.html

While you are at it, I thought this opinion / editorial was quite good:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/opini ... of.html?hp

It concludes as follows:

Hats off to a rabbinical student in Massachusetts, Rachel Barenblat, who raised money to replace prayer rugs that a drunken intruder had urinated on at a mosque. She told me that she quickly raised more than $1,100 from Jews and Christians alike.

Above all, bravo to those Christian, Jewish and Muslim leaders who jointly denounced what they called “the anti-Muslim frenzy.”

“We know what it is like when people have attacked us physically, have attacked us verbally, and others have remained silent,” said Rabbi David Saperstein. “It cannot happen here in America in 2010.”

Cardinal Theodore McCarrick put it this way: “This is not America. America was not built on hate.”

“Shame on you,” the Rev. Richard Cizik, a leading evangelical Christian, said to those castigating Islam. “You bring dishonor to the name of Jesus Christ. You directly disobey his commandment to love your neighbor.”

Amen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:28 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Posts: 6302
Location: Neither here nor there.
miniserb725 wrote:

There is only one possible reason that the preacher is burning Qurans, because he came right out and gave his reason. He's doing it because he hates Muslims.

To his credit, I guess he did not go through with it. Although others did. The Drudge Report site today was quite a dog's breakfast ... there were stories there of Muslims burning Bibles, Christians burning and destroying Korans (even though the one Pastor did not go through with his protest, several other Christian protesters did), one Muslim woman shooting and killing 2 people at work, and 12 American soldiers on trial for "killing Muslims for sport and collecting their fingers as trophies" in Afghanistan.

Madness. You can see why so many are down on religion. Can't we all just get along? Not in my lifetime, I'm sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:15 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 07 Oct 2008
Posts: 2167
Location: Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White
I wonder if any of these Christians actually read any of the Koran, and if any of these Muslims read any of the Bible. I'm also wondering where they got them...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:56 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 Jun 2006
Posts: 1738
Location: The John Hughes movie fan club.
FlapJackGeorge wrote:
This is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know how many Muslim families were negatively effected by the 9/11 attack? I mean, I assume there had to be at least one Muslim working in those buildings...

Also, Balducci, thanks for the knowledge!


A lot of Muslim familys were negatively affected. In fact i would say the vast majority of them. As soon as the attacks happened what group in America was persecuted the most. The Muslims. On the news you see stories of them doing this and doing that and how we should be weary of them. I know a few muslim familys myself who have told me that it is hard for them to go out without some sort of negativity being put their way.

Perhaps they did not get killed but the 9-11 attack certainly did them no favors and set them back in this country a fair deal.

I vote they put that Mosque right on top of ground zero if they are allowed the permits and the land rights are sold to them.


As always,
Dylan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:53 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
The reverend that said he was going to burn the Koran proved exactly what he wanted to. He manipulated the media to giving him publicity and he proved how we Americans will bend over to avoid offending anyone.

The Islamic extremists burn the Christian bible and we say nothing but if one wants to offend them we SCREAM NO!!! The government will not use the words "Islamic Extremists" because they don't want to offend the mainstream Muslims.

I do not in any way favour burning any book, especially a holy book in any religion. I am not saying the Reverend was right to say he was going to burn a book. I am saying that what he did pointed out the stupidity of the press by giving his stupiud human trick so much publicity..

Paddy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:47 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 3462
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
balducci wrote:
miniserb725 wrote:

There is only one possible reason that the preacher is burning Qurans, because he came right out and gave his reason. He's doing it because he hates Muslims.

To his credit, I guess he did not go through with it. Although others did. The Drudge Report site today was quite a dog's breakfast ... there were stories there of Muslims burning Bibles, Christians burning and destroying Korans (even though the one Pastor did not go through with his protest, several other Christian protesters did), one Muslim woman shooting and killing 2 people at work, and 12 American soldiers on trial for "killing Muslims for sport and collecting their fingers as trophies" in Afghanistan.

Madness. You can see why so many are down on religion. Can't we all just get along? Not in my lifetime, I'm sure.


And everyone's heard about the ears in Vietnam. As I always say...the country, religion, etc. is not the problem. Stupid/ignorant people are the problem.

Thank you for all the incredibly illuminating links Balducci.

-JT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 922
Location: cincinnati
miniserb725 wrote:
Balducci had a great post, thank you for that reading.

The problem with the preacher burning Qurans is also that there are military leaders who are worried that it will cause a lot of retaliations, resulting in unnecessary U.S. troop deaths.

As I see it, there are two possible reasons for the Islamic center being built. One is to "stick it" to the Americans and non-Muslims. The other being to just build the center because they need the facility.

There is only one possible reason that the preacher is burning Qurans, because he came right out and gave his reason. He's doing it because he hates Muslims.

-JT


As one of the troops in harms way, I have to say I could really care less if that pastor wanted to burn them or not. People over there want to kill us regardless, it really doesn't make much difference. I'm with Paddy on this one. I don't condone burning holy books by any means, but people have their rights, just as muslims have a right to build a mosque.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:25 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 3462
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
I understand people have rights. But the extent to which they should be used is a matter of opinion. Having the ability to do something is different from whether you should or not.

I offer you thanks and respect for being one of the troops in harms way.

-JT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 922
Location: cincinnati
I totally understand where you're coming from on people's descisions to exercise certain rights...too bad more people don't see it your way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: You probably thought...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:16 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
cspace11, Semper Fi brother! I spent 3 years in combat in 'Nam back in the early 60's so I know what you're going thru.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.