View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Penguins of 2010!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:42 pm 
born to perform.

A good number of people have joined this year and I was wondering what kind of experience you've had thus far. What kind of experience do new users have when joining the forums?

Post subject: Re: New Penguins of 2010!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:15 pm 
Penguin

tiggerkim wrote:
A good number of people have joined this year and I was wondering what kind of experience you've had thus far. What kind of experience do new users have when joining the forums?

I live in the deepest darkest part of Denmark, where there are no professional magicians to find for miles and miles, so to me, this is finally a place I can share my great interest with someone. Penguin Magic are sincere, and are so confident in what they have to offer, that they let the users write reviews. That to me makes me feel like I am in the right place!

That being said I feel many users of this forum lack one essential thing: Respect!

I have stumbled upon posts where new magicians looking for good advice have been given the most unuseful of replies. Sometimes even rude ones too.

In "The Hall of Fame" I see people comparing magicians to eachother, and even say bad things about other magicians! As far as I am concerned, "The Hall of Fame" should be for honouring the one posted about... Nothing else!

I have seen older, experienced magicians talking about younger magicians as if the should just be quiet and learn from the older ones. I feel many young magicians today have so much to contribute with. As long as you have thought things through, rehearsed it well, perform it to your best and show respect to the art, other magicians/creators of magic and the spectators, your fine!

I see such a mess in the forums. People post the wrong places, or the posts don't contribute to anything other than their own egos. If that's what you want. Fine... but make a blog or something instead of wasting forum space. Who am I to judge? I don't know, but someone asked my opinion, and I'm giving it to try and help.

I see a lot of threads that have older threads with the same subject. I know in some forums it is concidered impolite to "bump" an old thread, but in magic everything evolves the whole time, so why not keep it all together? This way when you search for something, you get so much more advice, than having to find three different threads, where half the pieces of advice are the same, and each thread have few advice that are great and unique to that thread. Also if anyone asks for a thread that is already there, lead them to it, and ask them to remove the post, as it was already there.

This also means that users should search the forums before asking anything. The more you ask about something already discussed, the more of a mess you help make!

I also feel sometimes people aren't respectful to Penguin Magic. Although Penguin Magic are great to allow us to discuss other magic providers' products, I feel it is illoyal to try and promote it here in their forum! Instead one should write to a Penguin Employee and ask if they wouldn't be interested in carrying the product, because you as a customer is interested in it, and would rather purchase it from Penguin Magic.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but I also feel people use Mr. and Mrs. too litle, and just use the first names of not only the people in these forums, but also the legends of magic.

Every post I make, is to try and help other magicians, the staff at Penguin Magic, or myself understand what would make our magic and this great forum better! If I don't, I hope you challenge me on it!

Thank you

-Widding