View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:43 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 1335
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
Is it just me or is this guy awesome? So many people get offended by his stuff. I think that makes me like him more. I don't really understand being offended at comedians. I don't think I've ever had that happen. The fact is, Ricky is a genius. He was HILARIOUS at the golden globes. Why should he pull punches for a bunch of stuck up over-paid clowns that don't really contribute to society?

I especially love his readings of the bible. He doesn't even need jokes. He's just reading the bible as what it is, a book of fairy tales no different from th iliad or the odyssey.

Highlights from the golden globes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDh0z_ZeZ60

Creation story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A_RttHEFKM

Noah's Ark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XavEirpI4M


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:43 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 349
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
Is it just me or is this guy awesome?

Yes.

Yeah, I love Ricky Gervais.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:15 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 908
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
He's just reading the bible as what it is, a book of fairy tales no different from th iliad or the odyssey.


Here you go again sprouting off about something you cannot possibly hope to prove right or wrong because no-one in history can prove the Bible wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:53 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 349
KrisDeagle wrote:
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
He's just reading the bible as what it is, a book of fairy tales no different from th iliad or the odyssey.


Here you go again sprouting off about something you cannot possibly hope to prove right or wrong because no-one in history can prove the Bible wrong.

I don't really want this to become a religious debate, but what do you mean no one in history can prove the Bible wrong? No, not the Bible as a whole, but a lot of it sure can.

Anyway, back on topic...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:27 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 908
Flappy2 wrote:
KrisDeagle wrote:
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
He's just reading the bible as what it is, a book of fairy tales no different from th iliad or the odyssey.


Here you go again sprouting off about something you cannot possibly hope to prove right or wrong because no-one in history can prove the Bible wrong.

I don't really want this to become a religious debate, but what do you mean no one in history can prove the Bible wrong? No, not the Bible as a whole, but a lot of it sure can.

Anyway, back on topic...


No, a lot of it can't. Science cannot prove disprove any theories from the Bible. It can be used for modern day things but anything over two centuries old cannot be proven right or wrong, no matter what you say but I am not getting into that. Purely an unwise thing to say.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:53 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 349
KrisDeagle wrote:
No, a lot of it can't. Science cannot prove disprove any theories from the Bible. It can be used for modern day things but anything over two centuries old cannot be proven right or wrong, no matter what you say but I am not getting into that. Purely an unwise thing to say.


Actually, a lot of it can. Arrogantly saying "Science can't prove [or] disprove any theories from the Bible" does not make it true. Furthermore, I didn't say "the theories in the Bible can be disproved by science" did I? No, I said that parts of the Bible can and have been disproved.
Then you say "...anything over two centuries old cannot be proven right or wrong..."
This isn't a matter of what is right or wrong, right and wrong are opinion and therefore cannot be proven. But once again, we aren't talking about right or wrong or things that are opinionated.
Then you continue "...no matter what you say but I am not getting into that." By saying that, you're getting into it. I didn't bring this point up, you did.
Then you said "Purely an unwise thing to say".
I hope you're talking about yourself. I am not the one arrogantly stating my opinion as fact. Once again, I would like to get back on topic. If you want to discuss this rubbish further, send me a PM, but don't get this topic locked. I like Ricky Gervais, and some of us would like to see more stuff about him in this topic. Please don't ruin this for us.

Public Toilets


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:27 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 May 2006
Posts: 1595
Location: San Diego
Anyways- getting away from the religious argument....


I love Ricky Gervais- his humor is always on edge and I love his type of awkward wrong comedy. He was on the Daily Show (which I also love) and he was an absolute riot!

I think he was FANTASTIC at the Golden Globes, I couldn't stop laughing while he lampooned celebrities, something that they don't like because it reminds them they are normal people with faults too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:31 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 1335
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
I haven't laughed that hard since... well since the golden globes. I wish I had known about that before. It's like a Lennon McCartney of comedy. For those that haven't seen it yet: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-d ... ky-gervais


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Posts: 224
Location: Sydney, Australia
Ricky has become one of my favourite stand ups.
His readings of the Bible were hilarious !!! I think it is good that comedy using religion as a topic has become more acceptable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:29 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 349
Incognito wrote:
Ricky has become one of my favourite stand ups.
His readings of the Bible were hilarious !!! I think it is good that comedy using religion as a topic has become more acceptable.

I completely agree. The Noah's Ark one had me cracking up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:27 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Posts: 540
Incognito wrote:
Ricky has become one of my favourite stand ups.
His readings of the Bible were hilarious !!! I think it is good that comedy using religion as a topic has become more acceptable.


[sarcasm]
I agree.

There's nothing like a good 'ol Christian bashing to get everyone laughing.

I'm hoping it will soon become fashionable to make fun of Muslims publicly.
[/sarcasm]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:37 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 908
ElConquistador wrote:
[sarcasm]
I agree.

There's nothing like a good 'ol Christian bashing to get everyone laughing.

I'm hoping it will soon become fashionable to make fun of Muslims publicly.
[/sarcasm]


You know something? You're posts are getting better as you go.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:24 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Posts: 224
Location: Sydney, Australia
lol, religion as comedy is kind of a cheat because if somebody thinks the Noah's Ark story is actually a history lesson, it almost doesn't even need a punchline.

I do think that sometimes Ricky goes slightly into the 'cringe-worthy' area but overall, classic entertainment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:04 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 1335
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
ElConquistador wrote:
Incognito wrote:
Ricky has become one of my favourite stand ups.
His readings of the Bible were hilarious !!! I think it is good that comedy using religion as a topic has become more acceptable.


[sarcasm]
I agree.

There's nothing like a good 'ol Christian bashing to get everyone laughing.

I'm hoping it will soon become fashionable to make fun of Muslims publicly.
[/sarcasm]

The idea isn't to bash Christians. It's to point out that stories like Noah's giant floating family reunion at the zoo and a talking snake are nothing beyond fairy tales. I hope bashing Islam becomes more acceptable too. They need to be desensitized first.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:44 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Posts: 3441
If there is some kind of social criticism to be made, I think comedy is a wonderful medium through which to make it. I don't believe religion should be exempt from criticism be it through the use of comedy or some other medium. However, most comedians who delve into religious jokes wind up doing nothing beyond making fun of other people's beliefs. Making fun of other people's beliefs is not funny and laughing at such jokes makes me feel like I'm back in middle school laughing at the geeky kid whose being made fun of by the more popular ones; for the record, that's not a good feeling. Sadly, many adults don't mature beyond middle school mentality and continue to find such things funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.