View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:21 pm 
Penguin

jman293 wrote:
metal rock punk (not mtv like good charlotte 3 days grace simple plan and all those wimps) grunge and classic rock some blues and some jazz

I could not have said it better myself. Those guys are wimps. I mean come on they claim to be punk but they sing about the same stuff those teeny bopper bands sing about. They are nothing but posers. Punk is a life style not some fashion fad. I think those bands should be strapped to a chair in a little room and be forced to listen to the sex pistols or the ramones so they can learn how to play real punk. :twisted:

Anyway my favorite type of music is punk. Its still the purist form of music out there (except for the pop-punk bands)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:27 pm 
born to perform.

Ejay wrote:
Its still the purist form of music out there (except for the pop-punk bands)

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

The purist music? Boy you better shut your mouth 'fore I shut it for you.

I hope I misread that...pure music is more like classical music...

Anyways, I like Ska, Reggae, Rock (Classical and Alternative mainly), and a bit of Punk.
When I am depressed I'll listen to some Static-X or something like that, and when I'm happy I will go pure some NoFX or Long Beach Dub Allstars or Sublime or something like that.

Music is a moody thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:57 pm 
Penguin

pyrodude wrote:
Ejay wrote:
Its still the purist form of music out there (except for the pop-punk bands)

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

The purist music? Boy you better shut your mouth 'fore I shut it for you.

I hope I misread that...pure music is more like classical music...

what i meant was it was the music that was influenced the least by modern trends and stuff like that. No offence was meant by that man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:24 am 
born to perform.

Ahhhh that makes alot more sense.

I thought you meant it was like the most elemental type of music, my bad.

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:16 am 
Penguin

im into smooth jazz and instrumental skratch music......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:51 pm 
Penguin

joshk wrote:
rap....
hip-hop...
I feel so alone.

"rap music" = oxymoron

Music by definition contains melody and rhythm--ideally, harmony is also present. Rap has no melody. Not saying rap is bad or that it is not a viable art form...but it's not music. Just as seeing a really talented standup comedian perform live does not constitute seeing him/her "in concert," despite how the show may be advertised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:58 pm 
Penguin

Location: Forget Normality, Spit on Mortality, What's Morality, Burn Humanity, Nothing could ever set you free
First off, Rap is music. If its not music, what the heck is it?

Annyways i like everything except classical and country. Especialy Electronic and Rap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:34 pm 
Penguin

Rdlcastle wrote:
First off, Rap is music. If its not music, what the heck is it?

It's words rhymed to a beat. It's performance poetry.

Music is capable of being transcribed in standard musical notation. This can be done with any piece of music--"Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," a Bach fugue, a thrash-metal song, an atonal free-form jazz improvisation, a Native American war song--because music contains the ELEMENTS of music (i.e., musical NOTES). A rap "song" is incapable of being transcribed in the language of music.

By analogy, one may speak of the "musical" qualities of a particular poem, but this is not meant literally. Poetry is poetry, and music is music. You won't be able to find sheet music for even the most musical of poems--Coleridge's "Kubla Khan," for example, or Poe's "The Bells." You could always set a poem to music, and you could do the same with any rap "song"--but until you do so, what you have is not music. And that's not saying anything bad about it. A work of art is what it is; there's no need to call it something it's not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:56 pm 
Penguin

Location: Forget Normality, Spit on Mortality, What's Morality, Burn Humanity, Nothing could ever set you free
I guess your right. But <some> is still good. Wow. That gave me a bit to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:05 pm 
born to perform.

classic rock, oldies, some motown, broadway soundtracks. raise your hand if you like the beatles? clap twice if you like the temptations. Snort if you like all oldies. Stick your head in a vat of jello and yell, "Boy am i tired", if you like broadway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:14 pm 
born to perform.

mmdrk wrote:
classic rock, oldies, some motown, broadway soundtracks. raise your hand if you like the beatles? clap twice if you like the temptations. Snort if you like all oldies. Stick your head in a vat of jello and yell, "Boy am i tired", if you like broadway.

sure, ok :roll:

does anybody like Seal? (the jazz dude)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:55 pm 
Penguin

czero wrote:
joshk wrote:
rap....
hip-hop...
I feel so alone.

"rap music" = oxymoron

Music by definition contains melody and rhythm--ideally, harmony is also present. Rap has no melody. Not saying rap is bad or that it is not a viable art form...but it's not music. Just as seeing a really talented standup comedian perform live does not constitute seeing him/her "in concert," despite how the show may be advertised.

I am actually a music major and I am ashamed to say that rap music is indeed music. Music by definition is just "the organization of sound in time." Have you heard pieces like "Einstein on the Beach" or anything like that? They're awful, but you have to respect that they are music. Hate to be Hector the corrector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:47 pm 
Penguin

Well, that's one definition--a paraphrasing of the one put forth by Wynton Marsalis.

Consider this, taken from a fairly scholarly music site:

The Websters definition of music is a typical example: "the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity" (Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, online edition). There are a number of potential objections to such a definition.

While some may find this definition too restrictive, arguing that "unity" and "continuity" are unnecessary, it is likely that more will find it too broad, thinking of music as being made of pitched sounds, and containing melody, harmony and rhythm.

i guess i fall into that latter camp. Without melody, what's the difference between rap and spoken poetry?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:51 pm 

Mostly Alternitive rock, but I listen to everything !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:18 pm 
Penguin

Rock
Some Heavy Metal
Soft Rock
(snort) Gotta love the oldies
I like about anything besides Classical and Jazz