View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hackers??
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:43 pm 
Penguin

man i was on cbs.com and then this side menu popped up and it said a computer is hacked into every 79 seconds and the source goes on a shopping spree. Does anybody have any good software that can prevent this besides a firewall or anything else? im like not freak out im just curious thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:48 pm 
born to perform.

there is a freeware called "popup stopper" I think it is by Adware, I use it, and it is veryhelpful.

Post subject: Re: Hackers??
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:56 pm 
born to perform.

pb_05 wrote:
man i was on cbs.com and then this side menu popped up and it said a computer is hacked into every 79 seconds and the source goes on a shopping spree. Does anybody have any good software that can prevent this besides a firewall or anything else? im like not freak out im just curious thanks

The best is a hardware firewall, but there are good free software solutions. Pop up blockers are nice, but they really do nothing about identity theft. Another improtant safeguard is to use good passwords: deGT%=34y is a good one because it combines upper and lower case letters, numbers, and other symbols. I use this all the time to access my multimillion dollar Swiss Bank Accounts, at account number 23445366-6786g678. J/K :D

The trouble with this type of password is that it is hard to remember. So I find that it is best to keep it on your monitor using a sticky--j/k :D

Seriously what I do is this. I pick something like the St. Louis Cardinals last won a world series in 1982, four games to three. So I will use 43StL82 or something (I do not use this or anything like this--it is an example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:14 pm 
born to perform.

i just use Norton Anti Virus...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:24 pm 
born to perform.

cocoluto wrote:
i just use Norton Anti Virus...

That helps, but won't stop a hacker. You can get the whole norton suite, which contains numerous programs including firewalls. I am not a fan of Norton. I use the nice (free) AVG anti virus.

Another point is that although I like Microsoft and I use XP with no trouble, you might look at Mozilla Suite (Browser and Email) or Thunderbird (e-mail--from Mozilla) and Firebird (browser--also from Mozilla) because they are less likely to be hacked or used for virus spreading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:28 pm 
born to perform.

I have been using Norton Personal Firewall and Norton Anti-Virus 2004 and have had great luck with them.

To keep a nice computer environment you need as a minimum: a firewall, an antivirus program, a pop-up blocker, and a spyware remover.

Post subject: router
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:31 pm 
Penguin

Get a router, drops off any unwanted packets before it can touch your comp. Or run your own server off of linux gen2, for extra security.

Post subject: Re: router
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:41 am 
born to perform.

LusciousChunks wrote:
Get a router, drops off any unwanted packets before it can touch your comp. Or run your own server off of linux gen2, for extra security.

A router is an excellent idea, just stay away from wireless routers, hackers can get within range and with a wireless card on laptop, use your I.P address, and even get on your computer that way. Although that problem isn't as prevelent in America as it is in the U.K. they call it Warchalking over there. You ought to look it up, its actually pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:07 am 
born to perform.

allbritton wrote:
LusciousChunks wrote:

A router is an excellent idea, just stay away from wireless routers, hackers can get within range and with a wireless card on laptop, use your I.P address, and even get on your computer that way. Although that problem isn't as prevelent in America as it is in the U.K. they call it Warchalking over there. You ought to look it up, its actually pretty interesting.

I don't have any problems with my wireless router, it can only happen if the person knows the password to your ISP account.... well, they can always find a way around it, but still.... it's pretty secure unless ur running something top secret for like NASA...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:12 am 
born to perform.

Scorpio wrote:
allbritton wrote:
LusciousChunks wrote:

I don't have any problems with my wireless router, it can only happen if the person knows the password to your ISP account.... well, they can always find a way around it, but still.... it's pretty secure unless ur running something top secret for like NASA...

I'm just a pretty paranoid person when it comes to the computer privacy issue, I have many friends with wireless routers, and they love them. I was just pointing out it is a possibility. As far as warchalking, hackers write the I.P. address on either the sidewalk or the side of the building, for other hackers to come by and use. As far as the average person, they see an I.P. address and don't know what it means.

But, sorry if I sounded like I was slamming wireless routers, I'm just paranoid... :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:53 am 
born to perform.

allbritton wrote:
Scorpio wrote:
allbritton wrote:
LusciousChunks wrote:

I'm just a pretty paranoid person when it comes to the computer privacy issue, I have many friends with wireless routers, and they love them. I was just pointing out it is a possibility. As far as warchalking, hackers write the I.P. address on either the sidewalk or the side of the building, for other hackers to come by and use. As far as the average person, they see an I.P. address and don't know what it means.

But, sorry if I sounded like I was slamming wireless routers, I'm just paranoid... :?

I understand, I don't check my main email from anywhere but my own computer because I'm paranoid that some admin can be like watching me... but wutever, anyways, wireless is sometimes really not secure when you don't have PPPoe client...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:45 am 
born to perform.

You guys are funny. A GOOD hacker can hack anything. Plain and simple. Firewall, no firewall, router, no router. Doesn't matter. On some other sites I'm on (non magic) there is this guy who can get into anything. Any site, any part of a site, anything. I asked him, what's a good firewall. He said it doesn't matter what protection you think you have, good hackers can get around anything. He said just use the one on your computer because I mcafee one isn't any better.

Now let's look at what causes a hacker to hack. The reason why a real hacker hack's anyone is for gain. Therefore if they can't gain anything from you they won't hack you. Now some dumb [edited] kids just playing online might try but they aren't going to get anywhere anyway. Real hackers that do it for a hobby take pride in what they take from you. So if you don't have anything to take, then they won't try and take anything. Get it? Take it for what it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:56 am 
born to perform.

also turn your webcameras at the wal when not in use my friend can hack into them and see what they see

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:33 pm 
born to perform.

Lunatic wrote:
You guys are funny. A GOOD hacker can hack anything. Plain and simple. Firewall, no firewall, router, no router. Doesn't matter. On some other sites I'm on (non magic) there is this guy who can get into anything. Any site, any part of a site, anything. I asked him, what's a good firewall. He said it doesn't matter what protection you think you have, good hackers can get around anything. He said just use the one on your computer because I mcafee one isn't any better.

Now let's look at what causes a hacker to hack. The reason why a real hacker hack's anyone is for gain. Therefore if they can't gain anything from you they won't hack you. Now some dumb [edited] kids just playing online might try but they aren't going to get anywhere anyway. Real hackers that do it for a hobby take pride in what they take from you. So if you don't have anything to take, then they won't try and take anything. Get it? Take it for what it's worth.

Just like insecure magicians that like to do tricks just to trick people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:34 pm 
born to perform.

i think all of you are making something small into something big. just like the media. Nowadays, you can't hack into another computer without your ISP seeing that you are and cutting off your connection. Of course, you can get a SHELL account from some of those small ISPs that ppl use for hacking, but still, the victim's ISP can still see you hacking...