View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: router
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:42 pm 

allbritton wrote:
A router is an excellent idea, just stay away from wireless routers, hackers can get within range and with a wireless card on laptop, use your I.P address, and even get on your computer that way. Although that problem isn't as prevelent in America as it is in the U.K. they call it Warchalking over there. You ought to look it up, its actually pretty interesting.

Actually a wireless router properly set up is one of the best defenses. I work for Comcast broadband and troubleshoot internet connection all day. (like right now) In a wireless router it has a smaller computer brain that holds configuration software and communicates constantly with any pc that you hook up to it. When you get it it is set up to just work, but none of the securities are turned on. Every wireless router has securities of some kind to stop unwanted PCs from getting into your network. For example, my SMC router has a MAC filter which uses a hardware address (pc fingerprint, no two are alike) to determine which computers you want on your network. They are very good. Routers, and wireless routers are the best type of firewall I know of and the first option for a firewall offered if you were to call in as a cutomer that we give.

Just so you all know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:48 pm 
born to perform.

Scorpio wrote:
i think all of you are making something small into something big. just like the media. Nowadays, you can't hack into another computer without your ISP seeing that you are and cutting off your connection. Of course, you can get a SHELL account from some of those small ISPs that ppl use for hacking, but still, the victim's ISP can still see you hacking...

You are 100% wrong. The isp wiould have no idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:52 pm 

Scorpio wrote:
i think all of you are making something small into something big. just like the media. Nowadays, you can't hack into another computer without your ISP seeing that you are and cutting off your connection. Of course, you can get a SHELL account from some of those small ISPs that ppl use for hacking, but still, the victim's ISP can still see you hacking...

That is not neccissarily true. There is a way to clone your PC to look like anothers, and most of the time those cases go undetected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:05 pm 
born to perform.

Anyone ever heard of sub7? Easy to use and (can be) pretty deadly too......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:46 am 
Penguin

You guys are thinking of crackers hackers dont steal your crap they do it to just be able to get into big software companies and such to see if they can beat people such as bill gates etc. Thats why nasa was hit they did it as a wake up call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:39 pm 
born to perform.

nappa wrote:
You guys are thinking of crackers hackers dont steal your crap they do it to just be able to get into big software companies and such to see if they can beat people such as bill gates etc. Thats why nasa was hit they did it as a wake up call.

lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:47 pm 
Penguin

Im being 100% serious. Anyway even if real hackers wanted to get into your computer as someone else said theres no wya to protect yourself way too many flaws in isps and they could probably get in without even touching a computer using a little bit of social engineering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:11 pm 
born to perform.

What up nappa I didn't even notice it was you. Your the same nappa right?

Hackers not crackers will hack into anything for personal gain. Again, trust me here I know a few really good ones. They won't just go after anyone though, they either have to be personally mad at them, or have something to gain. These guys can hack any site in any format. Social engineering? LOL You have to watch out for that, it goes on more then someone would think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:07 am 
Penguin

Yep same nappa anyway as you said personal gain but taking down a website gives them nothing except a big red x on there back by the fbi.
You will also notice that most hackers will not steal people credit card numbers and such for one its breaking the hacking manifesto and second youll get caught eventually.

-Nappa

Post subject: Re: router
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:08 am 
Penguin

allbritton wrote:
LusciousChunks wrote:
Get a router, drops off any unwanted packets before it can touch your comp. Or run your own server off of linux gen2, for extra security.

A router is an excellent idea, just stay away from wireless routers, hackers can get within range and with a wireless card on laptop, use your I.P address, and even get on your computer that way. Although that problem isn't as prevelent in America as it is in the U.K. they call it Warchalking over there. You ought to look it up, its actually pretty interesting.
not if you're behind a firewall...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:39 am 
born to perform.

nappa wrote:
Yep same nappa anyway as you said personal gain but taking down a website gives them nothing except a big red x on there back by the fbi.
You will also notice that most hackers will not steal people credit card numbers and such for one its breaking the hacking manifesto and second youll get caught eventually.

-Nappa

Nappa, let me tell you like this. Lots of times my friends go online and take down site's. Usually it's because the person running it was doing something unethical, like stealing the members money. Sometimes they just go online and steal their warez off their sites. I have literally seen them go to a site that was membersihp by approval only and put thier name on the list of members, take what they wanted off the site, then take themselves back off the member list. These sites that they hack are sometimes run by other hackers which would only make it harder for them to accomplish what they are trying to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:08 am 
Penguin

ah different story thats also part of the hacker manifesto, bring down [edited].

-Nappa

Post subject: nope
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:10 pm 
Penguin

Wireless is not nearly as secure. All someone needs is a wireless card and netstumbler to break in. On a normal router, you can run linux gen2 and if you are a good programmer be able to stop almost any attack, but be able to check your computer from anywhere.