View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: CTG 2nd edtion
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:56 pm 
born to perform.

Isn't it kinda strange? They never said anything before about releasing a second editon. Just about how hard it would be to get after the thousand was sold out. LOL Same content different cover. Does that really make it a second edtion? Isn't it just a first editon, with a different cover? I can't believe they did all that talking about only selling a 1000 copies now they decided to sell another. Funny how they mislead everyone into thinking it was only going to be a thousand copies. Now they are releasing another thousand? Hmmm......people do anything for sales. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:40 pm 
born to perform.

the second edition is a lil bit differet.. the cover lol, and whoever has the first edition i think has more bonuses and stuff, im not completly sure the difference, i has the first editon.. oo the first edition is signed and the second u get a signed ace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:48 pm 
Penguin

i thought the first was really lame but oh well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:36 pm 
born to perform.

Nem wrote:
i thought the first was really lame but oh well

Hmm, care to explain? Because I absolutely HATE people who bash products (not just CTG) and don't elaborate further.

P.S in most people's opinions it is the best flourish DVD ever created. Jeff McBride, TG Murphy, Daryl, Peter Duffie, all have endorsed this DVD. It's great.

The second edition is probably due to the overwhelming response and demand from people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:55 pm 
Penguin

oh ok fair enough, well, the reason I don't like it isnt because im not a big flourish guy, i like to flourish now and then, its just the one thing that really annoys me about CTG is how he shows one move, then goes "lets see that again" and plays you exactly the same video! not even from a different angle or anything, i dont think hes heard of sumthing called a rewind button. just feels like hes taking up video time to make it seem longer by showing the same footage over and over

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:00 pm 
born to perform.

There we are, fair enough... 8) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:06 pm 
born to perform.

So you're trying to say that they didn't plan for the second edtion the whole time? Are you crazy? Whether it was De'vo's or Brad's idea or both who knows? Even if I was De'vo and Brad presented that kind of idea I would not allow that. He's ripping off the people claiming to be fans. He led them to believe that there was only 1000 copies. When in fact these DVD's had to all be made at the same time. Otherwise it would have cost a fortune to have them all made again. Brad was just holding on to them to raise the stock and push the sales. Shame on both of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:17 am 
born to perform.

That is not true. The decision was made as the stock was running out because of the huge demand for them.

NO one ever said that only 1000 would ever be made! It was only said that 1000 were made and didn't know if any more would be produced. De'vo didn't know how the people would recieve it so only made 1000 to start with, not knowing if any more would be made or not. I have reviewed his website and found nothing that said only 1000 would ever be made. Even the E site said that they weren't sure if any more would be made or not.

His first Superhandz CDs were supposed to be 200 and he quit them after 50. No one including E knew if the same would happen with CTG. Who knows still, mabe the 2nd editions will be stopped?

After the world went nuts over the DVD, he decided to make more but I'm not sure he made another 1000, at least that is not what I heard. I'm happy he changed it so that the first 1000 will be collectors editions, and the rest are just 2nd editions. The 2nd editions were NOT made at the same time, there were several posts about when they shipped and were made. Anyone that knows anything about duplicators knows that you don't get a break when you need another glassmaster and artwork. It's a new project period. If you buy in bulk of the exact same thing, then yes, but not for a new product which requires new copyright stuff and more. I know about this, I worked with Danny Archer on several projects.

I don't feel robbed, in fact I just purchased and recieved the 2nd edition. And who said the 2nd edition was the same?lol you believe everything you read? :lol:

Also about the angles, all one angle? You sure you have the DVD? There are tons of different angles and the best I've ever seen. Also herald by McBride, Daryl, Peter Duffie, TG Murphy, and Jerry Cestkowski. Everyone is raving about the perfect angles and teaching techniques. Even teachers that say this DVD must be studied to get the full effect of video media! Some people just don't like De'vo and will do what ever they can to try and put him down, most have been banned from his forums and trying to get back at him. What ashame.

Last edited by sharkattack on Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:19 am 
born to perform.

Here is what Jerry Cestkowski (author of the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes) says about the ANGLES:

Cradle to Grave is the product of the diabolical mind and
>ultradextrous hands of underground legend De'Vo. While it will be difficult to enumerate
>all of the innovations in this single DVD, I'll give it a try. 1. There is no
>narrative. I don't know about you, but I find the spoken directions on the
>typical instructional video inadaquate and sometimes downright annoying:
>out-of-synch, monotonous, distracting, frustrating. De'Vo's solution? No narrative
>whatsoever. All instructions are strictly visual. 2. All moves are taught
>from the most advantageous angle. So many ordinary instructionals are
>virtually impossible to learn from because they won't won't show you what you need to
>see. I can't believe nobody else has really figured this out. And you won't
>believe the camera angles on CTG. You get to see everything, all the time,
>and the slow-mo shots are as crisp as the stills. The photography looks like
>it was done by someone who really wants you to be able to learn these
>flourishes, and who also happens to have a killer eye. 3. The original music, editing
>effects and overall design of the project make for exciting viewing, aside
>from aiding in the teaching. This teaching style is more like a music video than
>a stodgy lesson. I guarantee others will be copying this style for years.
>The flourishes themselves are all-original, useful and stunning. I always
>get excited when I see 60 effects listed on a DVD case, and then am invariably
>disappointed at the lack of really useful items. No filler on CTG. The
>Flipback Packet Vanish is one of those scarce purely manipulative magical items
>that is ideal for freestyle walkaround. The Heaven Display is an even scarcer
>commodity: a brand new fan display that is beautiful and looks truly impossible
>(people will ask to see the "gimmick." And the centerpiece of the DVD, Cradle
>to Grave itself, is truly a show-stopper.
>While the Cradle to Grave sequence is very difficult, it is very easy
to understand, thanks to all of the innovative techniques deployed by the
masterful De'Vo. This DVD is fun to watch, easy to learn from, and a lesson in
the art of producing the ideal instructional video.

Jerry "The Flourishman"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:21 am 
born to perform.

As far as the repeating goes, here is what DARLY says about it:

Cradle to Grave is simply incredible! De'vo performs the entire routine
flawlessly and his teaching DVD is excellent. Every detail has been
included, the production quality is top notch, and I particularly appreciate
his method of getting the students to practice individual steps over and
over again. If you're willing to take the time and effort to practice and
learn this routine, you'll have something very special in your repertoire.

Daryl -The Magician's Magician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:23 am 
born to perform.

Here is what Peter Duffie says about the teaching technique:

The Cradle to Grave DVD played perfectly on my TV and looks terrific
throughout. The production values and CGI contained in the Intro, alone, are
stunning and eerie, and you would be forgiven for thinking that you were
about to watch a quality horror movie straight out of Hollywood rather than
an instructional card flourish video. Even more remarkable is that De'vo did
this all by himself.

De'vo suggests viewers turn off the sound and play their own music, but the
music supplied is excellent. As for the material presented and taught - all
superb. People unskilled in advanced flourish work, as I am, may expect
impossible items on this. While some can be rather demanding, items such as
the Birdy Fan and Heaven Display worked for me first time! If people fail to
learn from this DVD, it certainly will not be due to poor presentation on
De'vo's part. Far from it. The construction and presentation of the tutorial
sections are first class and the items demonstrated and taught are both
original and 'visually poetic' to watch.

This is a must-have for lovers of the pasteboards, and I look forward to the
forthcoming Cobra DVD and also the Ring (that's right - a ring, not cards) -
both previewed on this DVD. Oh, I almost forgot to mention "The Ulmen
Trials." But perhaps that's best left to the discerning viewer, as even a
mere mention of it may deeply disturb those of a nervous disposition...

===========================

Best Wishes

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:29 am 
born to perform.

Here is a teacher that was on another forum:

I have CTG and I am by no means a flourisher. I have however spent over 25 years of my life learning magic from books and videos. I am a confirmed bookman and believe that the vast majority of DVD/videos offer nothing that a WELL WRITTEN book couldn't.

I will say, however, that though skeptical of the "no words" concept, that CTG is one of the best visual teaching tools I have ever seen. (I might add that I have a master's degree in education and have spent a bit of time studying learning techniques and teaching strategies). I think De'vo had an amazing grasp of what material needed to be conveyed and how best to convey it. Plus, we are not forced to sit through segments on the DVD where DVD technology is not required (such as interview sections where the written word would be so much more practical). In short, CTG was an amazingly produced product and hopefully others in our field will study it and perhaps video education will start taking advantage of its media. -Truthteller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:49 am 
born to perform.

Shark you have no idea if all these were made at the same time. All you know is what de'vo tells you. Actually devo didn't even say it, he just didn't say it which is good enough for you. I'm not going to get into another flame war with you over devo because neither one of you are worth any more of my time. Just wanted the members to see one side of it. Funny how it was "there's only 1000 to buy so hurry now". Now all of a sudden AS SOON as the "sell out" there is a "second edtion". Hmm....guess it could be just one of those strange things. I'm sure de'vo didn't know how good it would sell. I'm 100% sure brad did, or he wouldn't have marketed it in the first place. I'm also 100% sure brad is behind all the making of the dvd's as this is his speciality. De'vo just submitted the content of the original and brad took care of the making. If you believe for one second that this "second edtion" wasn't made at the same exact time as the first, or at least wasn't planned, your dumber then I thought you were. That to me is De'vo ripping off his fans, yet all his true fans bought the first edition so i guess he's just ripping off the public. All the hype behind selling it was about how hard it would be to get. Now with a second edition it won't be so hard to get. The non flourishers will have a chance now. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:43 am 
born to perform.

ALRIGHT SHARK!!!!! I was wondering when you were gonna show up again!!! :lol: :wink: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:47 am 
born to perform.

De'vo made the DVDs, NOT Brad. There is a step by step thread on CTG and if you read it, you will see all the stuff that happened. I also emailed all of them for more info. I looked on both sites and do no longer see any advertising about the limiting of material. That was only when no one knew what De'vo would do.

De'vo was seriously considering not making more than 1000. He only sold 100 of his D&N books, 50 of his Cobra books, 30 of his display books, Less of his other manuscripts and less than 50 of his Superhandz CDs. Many thought he may yank the plug on the CTG DVDs just like his CDs, that's why people were saying not to screw around if you wanted it. No one knew it would be extended, not even De'vo until he saw how many people loved the DVD. From what I'm told, after the 700th one sold De'vo made the decision to sell more and told Brad about it, in fact I think De'vo posted it in two places. De'vo wanted the first 1000 to be special so they redid all the artwork to keep the first 1000 special for collectors. Who knows how long the 2nd edition will sell for?? a week, 20 years? It's all up to De'vo. All the speculation about how many he would put out was based on his previous material and how he never released more than a few. Not just from E but from De'vo fans all over the net, even here on penguin. De'vo's decision was a surprise to everyone! Especially me who thought that they would of been stopped forever ago. But I am very happy he at least stopped making the first editions so they are now collectable. Even if the 2nd editions sell forever, the first 1000 with the original artwork will never be made again.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next