View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hockey
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:35 pm 
Penguin

Who here likes hockey?I know i do! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:04 pm 
born to perform.

i played for 6 years. I miss it so much... i got a killer back injury so i had to stop... darn checking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:04 pm 
born to perform.

i play everyday lol i love this sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:41 pm 

What do you guys think about hockey visors?

Up here in Canada most of us weren't particularly put out by Janet's superbowl display. If anything, we were laughing at the American reaction.

BUT we just had our own little television scandal. Seems Don Cherry (a favourite hockey analyst up here) made some remarks on live tv about how hockey visors are only being worn by wimpy Europeans and French-speaking Canadian guys. Merciful heavens!

'Reprehensible' Cherry put on a short leash
By WILLIAM HOUSTON
From Saturday's Globe and Mail

UPDATED AT 1:41 AM EST Saturday, Feb. 7, 2004

Citing ''inappropriate and reprehensible personal opinion'' by Don Cherry, CBC Television has imposed a seven-second delay on his Hockey Night In Canada intermission show.

A statement from the network's executive vice-president, Harold Redekopp, says the delay will go into effect immediately.

Mr. Cherry, whose pejorative comments about European players and ''French guys'' wearing visors during National Hockey League games has sparked an inquiry by Canada's official languages commissioner, is scheduled to appear next on Hockey Night on Feb. 14.

Earlier this week in the United States, CBS announced that it would use a five-second time delay for its broadcast of the Grammy Awards show tomorrow night, after the Super Bowl half-time show in which singer Janet Jackson's breast was exposed during a performance.

In the CBC's statement, Mr. Redekopp says the network ''categorically rejects and denounces the personal opinions Mr. Cherry expressed during the [Jan. 24] segment. Comments such has those expressed during the show cannot be repeated and will not be tolerated.''

Mr. Cherry, during the Coach's Corner spot, expressed his objection to the mandatory use of visors because, he said, it turned players ''into sucks.'' He then said most visor wearers in the NHL are Europeans or French Canadians.

His remarks immediately incited reaction from viewers and the media. In Quebec, Mr. Cherry was widely denounced by commentators, including hockey analysts Jacques Demers and Michel Bergeron, who said he had crossed the line.

Mr. Cherry has been involved in several controversial incidents on the CBC. Last March, he was censured by the network after he twice blamed French Canadians for the booing of the American anthem at the Bell Centre in Montreal during the Iraq war. During the CBC's coverage of the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Olympics, he referred to Russian athletes as cheats and drug users.

Regarding the time delay for the Grammies, CBS said the network would ''delete both inappropriate audio and video footage from the broadcast.''

However, the seven-second delay on Coach's Corner raises questions about how it would be applied and what guidelines would be used. Delays in radio broadcasts are intended to provide time to edit profanity, but in Mr. Cherry's case the issue is commentary and opinion. A CBC producer or director in the broadcast truck would need to make a split-second decision on whether a remark was appropriate or politically correct.

Mr. Cherry could not be reached for comment, but Mr. Redekopp's statement said that management at CBC Sports has ''reviewed the January 24th broadcast with Mr. Cherry, and have his assurances that comments of this nature will not be repeated.''

Earlier this week, Nancy Lee, the head of CBC Sports, called Mr. Cherry from Europe and told him to stick to commenting on hockey.

Mr. Cherry will not be involved in the CBC's NHL All-Star coverage this weekend. He customarily skips the event. The CBC stated earlier he would not be suspended.

The Official Languages Act requires federal institutions, such as the CBC, to respect the country's two languages and those who speak them.

Commissioner Dyane Adam, who initiated the inquiry, said she received several complaints about Mr. Cherry. ''This is an issue that is creating some amount of turmoil,'' she said.

The inquiry will review Mr. Cherry's comments and the CBC's policy pertaining to employees' conduct and will send a report with recommendations to the network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:10 pm 
Penguin

i have played hockey for 10 years. I love this sport and no other. Hockey
Rules!!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:40 pm 
Penguin

I have to agree that hockey really is a great sport. I wish where I lived people took it more seriously as opposed to those that live maybe in Minnesota or Boston. To a lot of Floridians, ICE is that stuff you put in your drinks. Ok sure we have the Lightning (2 hours away from me) and the Panthers (4 hours away from me) but I have never really considered them teams. My team is and always will be...the New Jersey Devils. Being originaly from Jersey (West Orange) they were the first team I ever saw live. Even though they lost to the Flames that game, I became an immediate fan and followed that team from that point on. Here in Orlando we did have the IHL for awhile and had a good team, The Orlando Solar Bears, which won the CUP before the league went bye bye but now we have the SEALS....ugh!!! They also won a Championship but I am just not a fan of minor league hockey and all these cookie cutter logos and stuff.

I want old time hockey back!!! Seriously, there are too many teams which deplete the talent. I remember the dynasty of the Oilers, can't imagine that Gretzky, Messier, Fuhr and Kurri all played for the same team. I am happy to see MIRACLE come out and it was a GREAT movie, it will get people talking about hockey-I hope. It is a shame though that we will never have another Miracle on Ice team as long as the pros keep playing. I got more excited watching the women play and win then the men doing what they do. It would be great to put the college boys back in there but it does say we are supposed to send our country's best.

Anyway, I envy you guys that live in Canada where I am sure you were skating as soon as you can stand. I love watching anything and everything on hockey and will always follow this sport and hopefully someday get to see a Stanley Cup game-hopefully with my DEVILS raising the cup. My next wish would be to touch the STANLEY CUP someday and get a nice close up shot of it. For those of you out there that have been to the Hall of Fame in Toronto...are you able to touch the cup? Also, how is it at the Hall of Fame-awesome I bet?

Well, that was a long way to go just to say that I also love this game. As far as Visors...hmm, I don't think you are a wimp for wearing one. I mean, as the game evolves, players will get bigger and shots will be harder so protection will be key. Hard to imagine that people like Jaques Plante never wore a mask...then again you didn't have the velocity of shots like they do now. Great game, just wish there wasn't so many teams out there though..GO DEVILS!!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:45 pm 
born to perform.

I am not a HUGE hockey fan.....but I like to go to a lightning game every now and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

i get free tickets to any rangers or islanders or devils game lol, i have some serious connections i cant say... the devils r my fav team, i love hockey so much its not even funny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:23 pm 
born to perform.

ireland0907 wrote:
I have to agree that hockey really is a great sport. I wish where I lived people took it more seriously as opposed to those that live maybe in Minnesota or Boston. To a lot of Floridians, ICE is that stuff you put in your drinks. Ok sure we have the Lightning (2 hours away from me) and the Panthers (4 hours away from me) but I have never really considered them teams. My team is and always will be...the New Jersey Devils. Being originaly from Jersey (West Orange) they were the first team I ever saw live. Even though they lost to the Flames that game, I became an immediate fan and followed that team from that point on. Here in Orlando we did have the IHL for awhile and had a good team, The Orlando Solar Bears, which won the CUP before the league went bye bye but now we have the SEALS....ugh!!! They also won a Championship but I am just not a fan of minor league hockey and all these cookie cutter logos and stuff.

I want old time hockey back!!! Seriously, there are too many teams which deplete the talent. I remember the dynasty of the Oilers, can't imagine that Gretzky, Messier, Fuhr and Kurri all played for the same team. I am happy to see MIRACLE come out and it was a GREAT movie, it will get people talking about hockey-I hope. It is a shame though that we will never have another Miracle on Ice team as long as the pros keep playing. I got more excited watching the women play and win then the men doing what they do. It would be great to put the college boys back in there but it does say we are supposed to send our country's best.

Anyway, I envy you guys that live in Canada where I am sure you were skating as soon as you can stand. I love watching anything and everything on hockey and will always follow this sport and hopefully someday get to see a Stanley Cup game-hopefully with my DEVILS raising the cup. My next wish would be to touch the STANLEY CUP someday and get a nice close up shot of it. For those of you out there that have been to the Hall of Fame in Toronto...are you able to touch the cup? Also, how is it at the Hall of Fame-awesome I bet?

Well, that was a long way to go just to say that I also love this game. As far as Visors...hmm, I don't think you are a wimp for wearing one. I mean, as the game evolves, players will get bigger and shots will be harder so protection will be key. Hard to imagine that people like Jaques Plante never wore a mask...then again you didn't have the velocity of shots like they do now. Great game, just wish there wasn't so many teams out there though..GO DEVILS!!! :twisted:

heh, your gonna be jealous...I have close up pics of the cup with me in them. also, I might be going to a devils home game soon.!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Yep Hockey a real man's sport. Played on thin blades, on a sheet of hard ice, with a frozen piece of rubber flying around anywhere from 25-100 mph, with wood boards you can crunch people into, football, basketball, nor baseball hold a stick to it.
As far as the visor comment from Don C. I heard about that but thought maybe someone misquoted him. Boy that would raise a ruckus up there. Course Cherry don't care what nobody says, colorful character he is.
I played back in the 60's both organized hockey thru Bantam, lots of pickup games outside on frozen ponds and in the summer, why hockey in an old parking lot. (We didn't have roller blades so it was in tennies and a tennis ball for a puck).
Favorite team: Red Wings, been following them since 1965 or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:07 am 
Penguin

You're right Rlk7...I HATE YOU..lol j/k I usually get to see the DEVS when they come to Tampa, I do make the 2 hour trip down there and 9/10 I usually drive back with a win. When I visit Jersey every Christmas, I try and catch a game, and of course I have Direct TV so I do catch the games. So, I am jealous you have close up pics of the cup but someday, I will get some of my own. I heard the Devils will be moving to Newark I think in 2007. Not sure how thats gonna work but hopefully their new home is better because I don't like the Continental Airlines Arena aka Brendan Byrne Arena. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:31 pm 
Penguin

I also have pics of me and the cup. It came to colorado when the avs one and we got to go see it. By the way fcchief you stink man. The avalanche is THE team :D anyway they are going to take the cup this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:11 pm 
Penguin

Man what do you guys think about the cheap shot on steve moore by todd bertuzzi. I thought that was horrible. Hockey shouldnt be like that. Dont get me wrong i love a good hard check or a nice fight just as much as the next guy, but this was to much. :(