View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: The Passion ~ review....(POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:53 pm 
Emperor Penguin

redpup wrote:
I just saw the Passion and i can basically sum up the movie in 2 words:

good! wow!

that is all i have to say

Spoiler? I though everyone knew the guy ends up nailed to a couple boards at the end.

8)

Post subject: Crosby
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:11 pm 
Penguin

Forgive the number of posts I have. I have been humming around these boards for a very long time; even though most of you don't know me very well, I know you well just by reading your many posts.

The reason I don't ever posts is simple. All of you have answered by questions for me. But I can't resist sharing my views on this movie.

Firstly, I got a lot out of the movie.

Now, with that said.

I believe that His Death is tied as the single most important event during Jesus's time as a man. What does it tie with? The Resurrection. He said Himself "I come so that they may have life, and that they may have it to the full." John 10:10. God's purpose in becoming a man was so that we, aspiring magicians (and the rest of the world), could know him and experience his fellowship. His teachings on earth were very important, and still are in order to live a healthy christian life, but his Death and Resurrection are the number one events in all of human history. It all hinges on that. You are not saved by Jesus's teachings, you are saved by his blood. That is what the movie, in my opinion, wanted to show. All that blood that was spilt HAD to be spilt. There is a great story in those 12 hourse. The GREATEST story.

But one more thing. I like to watch the movie and think about this: If you were the only human being alive on earth, he would have still gone through all that.

Sorry, I'm done preaching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:29 pm 
born to perform.

It is true we are not saved by his teachings but through his blood. But blood is a metaphor. Maybe Jesus had to die in a cruel manner, but maybe not. MG seems to revel in his blood to make a point about his Blood.

As a Methodist, I am a follower of John Wesley who taught that through the love of Christ we are sanctified. That means we become more perfect here on this earth. But this love from Christ manifests itself in our love for others. Wesley was called too Papish in his day, but I feel that his emphasis on showing love for those who are loveless as a reflection of Christ's love for us is what makes my Christianity bearable. I was an atheist for a long time and I was always a little suspisious of evangelists and that really hasn't changed. So I am a little leary of those who find something deaply profound in this movie (I think that after the initial glow of this movie wears off, we will begin to understand its true impact on Christrans). The move was good, to an extent, and maybe something all Christians should see, but I feel that MG focused too much on Mel Gibson's obsessions with torture and pain and too little on Christ's obsession which was his love and compassion. Christ was ultimately giving us a radically different perscription for how we should live our lives now and not just telling us to contemplate the next.

Last edited by chrisrkline on Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:17 am 

12Gauge wrote:
Ok, I'm going to try not to be rude here, but have you people no idea about your faith?

Yoda says:Do...or do not...there is no try.

And yes, I have a very good idea about my faith. My faith, nor yours...has anything to do with your impression of a movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:30 am 
Penguin

chrisrkline wrote:
Christ was altimately giving us a radically different perscription for how we should live our lives now and not just telling us to contemplate the next.

That is a good line, my friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:48 pm 
Penguin

Uh, B, man? First of all, nice Yoda comment on the Do or Do not, I liked that :D.
The point I was getting across was for Christians. I wasn't giving my interpretation of the movie, but explaining something. I'm not saying, "Gee, I think Mel meant this..." that's pointless. I'm saying that the movie is called The Passion and it's about, hmm....what was it.... :idea: oh yea! The Passion. It's not meant to teach us about Jesus' life, but to be about his death. It wasn't meant (as far as I believe) to attract all these people to the theaters as much as it was explanitory.
And by the way, I took your comment to be derrogatory, I'm hoping it wasn't, but...that's how I see it. If it isn't, I'm sorry and please inform me otherwise. If it is, well then it is.

I will now refrain from posting in this topic because this is a pointless discussion anymore. Why don't we discuss His life, death, and resurrection instead of this movie? This WILL eventually turn into (yet another) flame war.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4