View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: The Passion ~ review....(POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:04 pm 
born to perform.

I just saw the Passion and i can basically sum up the movie in 2 words:

good! wow!

that is all i have to say

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:20 pm 

to bloody and graphic for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:31 pm 
born to perform.

jakbauer wrote:
to bloody and graphic for me

Well, the story of Jesus Christ dying for all of our sins is a bloody and graphic story. It's not fake and it's not something that should be easy to watch or listen to without feeling some kind of emotion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:43 pm 
born to perform.

Seeing as that wasn't much of a review. :P ... I posted this in the other one, but this has review in the title, so I'll re-post it here.

I actually just got back from watching the actual movie... Wow, despite its "controversy" it was a really good movie. Mel did a great job directing it. Holy cow though... that has got to be the most graphic film I have ever seen. It was also done entirely in Hebrew and Latin, with English subtitles. Great movie, if you don't mind watching things about religion, and don't have a weak stomach, I recommend it.

Not much of a review either, but a bit more in-depth. :wink: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:45 pm 
born to perform.

TWO THUMB TIPS WAY UP!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from the theater and I loved this movie. This film is so awsome and powerful. I highly recommend it! But I would agree with some of the critics that it is definately not suitable for children under 12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:51 pm 
born to perform.

I wanna see it....but I am going to have trouble getting in.

I'll probably buy a ticket to another movie and then go into see the passion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:10 pm 
born to perform.

I can't wait to see it. I will probably go see it on friday.

My youth minister is going to see it tonight at 10:00. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

I will go on Friday. I know it will be graphic, if you have ever studied the historicity of Christ, the customs of the times, the Roman empire, Josephus the historian and others you know that a scourging was not just a leather whip but many with shards of metal and pottery knotted in the ends. From my understanding it is not entertainment but an experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:07 am 
born to perform.

fcchief wrote:
scourging was not just a leather whip but many with shards of metal and pottery knotted in the ends.

Oh yes, they don't fail to leave that part out :shock: . It looks pretty darn bad. That was one hard scene to watch in my opinion.

fcchief wrote:
From my understanding it is not entertainment but an experience.

As far as I'm concerned it was. It's a really, "deep" movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:09 am 
born to perform.

Those of you who have seen it: When Judas hangs himself, does it show how he fell & his body bursted open with his intestines spilling out? (Acts 1:18)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:25 am 
born to perform.

They show him hanging himself, and a rotting buffalo (or something) corpse. Then he hung himself, but there were no spilling out of intestins... as far as I could tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:33 am 

I just got home from seeing it, and although it is very powerful and emotional (exxxxxxxxxxtrrrrreeeeeeeemmmmmellly graphic)...I really didn't like the movie. It's hard to say that, as its a movie about Jesus, but overall I felt the movie was...shallow.

The reason why I say that is because there was no depth to the movie, it just really details the one thing everyone knows about Jesus...his crucifiction. Granted, I feel that it is good to see just how horrific and terrible the crucifiction was, however that IS NOT the point of Jesus' life. Not at all. It's about the man behind the crucifiction, his life, what he did and stood for...those things is what really makes the crucifiction meaningful. The horrific images themselves have nothing to do with Christ, and I'm sure if he wanted to show people his message, it wouldn't be solely about his crucifiction and the details of it. I don't even think he would talk about that too much.

I walked out of the movie feeling nothing but the queesiness of seeing someone brutally tortured and killed. I didn't feel moved in a spiritual sense at all, because the crucifiction wasn't built up to mean anything. The point of the movie, from my perspective, was solely to show the gruesome details of his death. In the end, people are left to their own imaginations and upbringing as to who Jesus was and why he did what he did. That could be a good and a bad thing, in my mind. For the most part, I don't think the movie will really move many people except for those who already know and understand the story of Christ...since the movie really doesn't explain or go into more than the horrific images of his death....from start to finish.

I do like some of the things that were included in the movie that are generally left out of most Christ movies, such as the curtain of the Most High being torn in two, the blood and the water from the stab wound, etc. However, many of these inclusions arent going to be in anyway meaningful to those who don't know the fine details and meanings behind some of these things. In the end, much of the movie was made for those who have a deep knowledge of the life of Christ...not for those who don't.

Overall, I feel the movie, though powerful in many ways, wasn't that great. The movie showed everything about the crucifiction, but little of the man. So is the "Passion of Christ" simply because he died in such a terrible way? The answer is most definately no. But the movie barely touched on why he died at all. What moves people about Christ isn't just because he was tortured and killed in such a horrific way, but because of who he is and what he did. The ending of his life is sooooooooo much more meaningful and moving when you are able to experience the man behind it (a man who saved lives, raised the dead, forgave, taught great lessons, overcame great adversity, etc). Even from a non-religious point of view, how many great movies show the hero gettting tortured and killed without first showing who the hero is? Would a movie even be good at all without showing us the inner being of the hero before he is taken from us? Even if Mel Gibson wanted to focus on the crucifiction, much more could have been added so that we could experience the death of Christ fully...not just witness an actor getting ripped apart.

Because there was little to no character developement (of Jesus and also of the other characters...who are all in the move basically to cry and thats it), it is very difficult for me to walk out of the movie feeling that I was moved. Instead of feeling bittersweet, inspired, or moved in anyway, I was upset and squeamish simply from watching a man get beat, tortured, and killed. I would have had the same experience if I watched a movie about anyone getting treated in that fashion. Where's the power in that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:34 am 

hreamph wrote:
Those of you who have seen it: When Judas hangs himself, does it show how he fell & his body bursted open with his intestines spilling out? (Acts 1:18)

No spilling of the intestines, my friend. But it really did do an interesting way of showing the end of Judas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:44 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the review B. I haven't seen it yet, but many who go, already know why Jesus died and who He was. Even the majority of those who are not Christians know why we believe, I see it as a media outreach for evangelism. I understand wholly your feelings on they did not build the character of Jesus more, give more of who He was. But the cross is where it is at, that is where it starts and ends. The Cross, in my opinion is the ultimate sign or symbol of love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:06 am 

Yes, as it is to me. But what's evangelic about that? Sure, it means something to us...but that isn't anything to do with the movie. That has to do with our own feelings, our own upbringing and experiences. That has nothing to do with the movie, or evangelism.

In the end, the only thing evangelistic about the movie is that it has the name of Jesus in it. As far as anything else, its a movie that moves you only in the same way as watching a documentary that details the horrific beating and murder of any other joe schmo. Where's Christ in this movie? That is my question...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next