View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beware hacker and viruses
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:35 pm 
Penguin

Today I checked my e-mail and I had 30 new messages usual I'm lucky if i get one i knew something was up all of the new messages had attachments of 48K (very big) All were from different e-mail addresses the subjects were very deceiving such as ... well I'll just list them all: NOTIFICATION, You use illegal File Sharing..., Unknown, Read this message, YOUR CREDIT CARD, For your information, Forget, YOUR ACCOUNT IS ABOUT TO be expired, Your order is being processed, Expired account, Your account has expired, Your request is being processed, hi, it's me, Read now!, News, Something for you, Your IP was logged.
All had very short messages like the subject repeated, but the most frightening one was "I have your password" The reason i am posting this is because one of the e-mails was from streetmagic55@aol.com i did a search for this person on google.com and it turns out they are a real person with a magic site and videos. if fear that a magic site has been hacked and passwords stolen and used to send viruses. If you get one of these don't open them.
I shall now post all the e-mail addresses so you will know if you have been hacked:cpb_3@yahoo.com, zfw@aol.com, ujgqp@yahoo.com, khris-clymer@clymer.net, dpeters@esimail.eastonsports.co, yvf@aol.com, spidey08@singnet.com.sg, chris@ccny.com, doglesby@namb.net, skirace895@aol.com, ningl@yahoo.com, sheelz@sheelz.co.uk, sbowles@usatoday.com, svj@msn.com,sssrider@comcast.net, btgc@msn.com, tym2buy@rogers.com, sueq327@juno.com, and streetmagic55@aol.com :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:46 pm 
born to perform.

I too have been getting this e-mail crap :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:55 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I get all kinds of crap like that too....mine are mostly about penis enlargement (get lots of those!), discount drugs and prescriptions, mortgage offers...all kinds of junk like that. I've got as many as 18 at one time. Does anybody know how to stop these from being sent to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:56 pm 
born to perform.

This thread is in Genreal Magic discussion, why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:58 pm 
Penguin

I don't know how to stop them other than blocking. but the style that they were done leaves me to think it was done by one person. I usualy never get junk mail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:16 pm 
Penguin

Frijid_Pink wrote:
I get all kinds of crap like that too....mine are mostly about penis enlargement (get lots of those!), discount drugs and prescriptions, mortgage offers...all kinds of junk like that. I've got as many as 18 at one time. Does anybody know how to stop these from being sent to you?

To stop getting them have two different e-mail accounts. One should be a trusting one like yahoo that you only tell people you actually know about it. The other should be a cruddy one like hotmail that automatically gives you penis enlargement messages. Use that one for all internet sites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:17 pm 
born to perform.

i get the same stuff that you get frijid i just delete them though :lol:

Post subject: Re: Beware hacker and viruses
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:34 pm 
born to perform.

Location: a good magician never reveals his location. Keeps the groupies away. ;)
monkeyinacan wrote:
All had very short messages like the subject repeated, but the most frightening one was "I have your password" The reason i am posting this is because one of the e-mails was from streetmagic55@aol.com i did a search for this person on google.com and it turns out they are a real person with a magic site and videos. if fear that a magic site has been hacked and passwords stolen and used to send viruses. If you get one of these don't open them.

i got one 2. i deleted it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:36 pm 
Penguin

I got the same email from somebody I didnt know, somebody not even mentioned here, with the I have your password message. When I opened it I caught the MY DOOM virus thats going around. So Be Careful. The Virus erased almost all of my photos and saved documents.It goes in your email and uses thoses address to disguise itself to send to other people. It really is a terrible virus. I downloaded the Stinger application to stop and distroy the virus then cleaned my computer. I hope this doesnt happen to you guys it really sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:28 pm 
born to perform.

I want to create a virus to send to the people who send viruses.See how they like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:46 am 
Site Admin

How to get rid of them? If you have AOL 9.0 you can click the button Report Spam, within a short time (a week or so) you will see a definite decline in the # of junk mail. At least it has worked for me. Most Email hosts have some sort of filter you can access, this allows you to tailor your incoming mail to only allow those addresses you know to get thru to your mail box, or certain domains ie hotmail, aol etc. Problem with that is what if you need an email from someone not on your list? Then you have to add them or take off the filters. I know there are more knowledgeable people out there that may have some other ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:56 am 
Penguin

It seems to me that you are mixing spam and virus. Spam is all the trash e-mails you get. They are harmless but annoying. Viruses are harmful and I have received a lot of these lately. It is a 49K file. DO NOT OPEN IT !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:04 pm 
born to perform.

how comes my posts have just disappeared?

also on other topics why? is someone deleting them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:31 pm 
born to perform.

just got one, yahoo picks up the viruses fine.

Scan result: Virus "W32.Mydoom.F@mm" found.
You can not download this attachment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:36 pm 
born to perform.

you can open the email, jsut dont download it. BTW, the ones i got are 48kb. So watch out, yahoo seems to pick them up fine!