View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: saying goodbye
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:56 pm 
born to perform.

B_Magic wrote:
96burg10 wrote:
i regret to say that im saying good bye to magic. it seems as if i just dont have the time to do it anymore, and lets be real, unless you are a pro magic doesnt pay the bills.

Paying the bills doesn't usually happen with most hobbies. You should do magic because you enjoy it, not because it pays the bills. Trust me, there is plenty of other things you can (and sounds like you will) do that will pay the bills. But paying the bills isn't life, and in the end its going to be the experiences you enjoyed in your life that will matter.

Just wanted to let you know that. I understand your leaving, but just make sure its for the right reasons...not because it isn't "lucrative" as far as paying the bills, etc. Advancement in life is one thing, enjoying it is another. Too many people these days are giving up or never even have hobbies simply because our society is becoming a "if it doesn't pay, it's not worth it" type of place. I believe hobbies, however "worthless" they may seem to paying bills, getting us jobs, etc...they really do bring color to your life. I just don't want to see you give up on something that keeps the flavor in your life, simply because its not whats paying the bills or making "good use" of your time.

That's what I use to argue against my parents when they say that magic is a waste of money!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:26 pm 

Scorpio wrote:
B_Magic wrote:
96burg10 wrote:
i regret to say that im saying good bye to magic. it seems as if i just dont have the time to do it anymore, and lets be real, unless you are a pro magic doesnt pay the bills.

Paying the bills doesn't usually happen with most hobbies. You should do magic because you enjoy it, not because it pays the bills. Trust me, there is plenty of other things you can (and sounds like you will) do that will pay the bills. But paying the bills isn't life, and in the end its going to be the experiences you enjoyed in your life that will matter.

Just wanted to let you know that. I understand your leaving, but just make sure its for the right reasons...not because it isn't "lucrative" as far as paying the bills, etc. Advancement in life is one thing, enjoying it is another. Too many people these days are giving up or never even have hobbies simply because our society is becoming a "if it doesn't pay, it's not worth it" type of place. I believe hobbies, however "worthless" they may seem to paying bills, getting us jobs, etc...they really do bring color to your life. I just don't want to see you give up on something that keeps the flavor in your life, simply because its not whats paying the bills or making "good use" of your time.

That's what I use to argue against my parents when they say that magic is a waste of money!

Your argument suffers from one flaw, in that you can enjoy magic without spending a lot of money on it.

Buy one or two good books each year, and work on the material therein. Or just amuse yourself with your own creations. Somewhere (on a Dvd), I remember hearing Dai Vernon talk about how he amused himself as a kid for a few months inventing and cataloguing 100 different tricks with elastic bands.

But you don't have to tell your parents this story :-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:28 pm 
born to perform.

balducci wrote:
Scorpio wrote:
B_Magic wrote:
96burg10 wrote:

Your argument suffers from one flaw, in that you can enjoy magic without spending a lot of money on it.

Buy one or two good books each year, and work on the material therein. Or just amuse yourself with your own creations. Somewhere (on a Dvd), I remember hearing Dai Vernon talk about how he amused himself as a kid for a few months inventing and cataloguing 100 different tricks with elastic bands.

But you don't have to tell your parents this story :-)

I just ordered one book which I heard was pretty hard to master, so that'll keep me occupied for a while, and for my own creations, they just come usually never,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:37 am 
born to perform.

B_Magic wrote:
96burg10 wrote:

Good luck to you my friend. Remember, advancement in life is one thing, enjoying it is another.

im just saying that practiceing magic takes time and i found myself doign that when i shoudl be doing work. i dont get a weekly check. i get a check when house plans get done so the mroe time i spend on magic the less time i spend buildign houses on the computer and in turn i have no money. i would like to do magic if i had the time to put in it but i simply dont. i guess i may have worded that wrongto cause soem confusion, but i completely see where your coming from