View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NHL
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:47 pm 
born to perform.

i feel sorry for Steve Moore :( (Avalanche's player) His neck is broken. Bertuzza sucks. he gave him a punch from his back , thats just embarasing.and now he is crying for apology.what do you think about his punishment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:49 pm 
born to perform.

I think thats the least the league could do,hope he is not allowed next year either!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:36 pm 

Just wondering, are you sure his neck is broken? The stories I read said that he was admitted to the hospital with a fractured neck and a concussion. No biggie, just want to be clear on his real injuries. Obviously he is seriously injured.

I don't know if the punishment is fair or not. Maybe it should be more, maybe less; you can argue either way. I feel sorry for both guys. Hockey needs to clean up its act ... unfortunately, it seems that most of the fans and sports commentators and owners like this violence. Until someone gets injured that is, then they make soothing noises for a little while but then the violence escalates again. What can you do? Stop buying tickets to games, I guess, until they make serious changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:43 pm 

His neck is fractured, and no spinal injuries have been noted thus far. They still will not transport him back to Denver until they are sure ther are no other injuries to the spinal cord.

As for the punnishment, I think the NHL went a little soft based on the problems they are having keeping fans, but then again, the NHL officials said they will leave the case open until Moore has had some time to heal and they know the full extent of his injuries.

Here in Denver however, the big uproar is over coach (chicken) Crawford. 2 days before this game, they played in Denver, and he stated after that game there would be a head hunt for Moore. If you are a team leader, and directly tell your players to go out to injure someone, the blame should rest on your shoulders. He should take the brunt of this punnishment. I hope they do something about him!!!!

Last edited by elimin8or23 on Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:47 pm 
born to perform.

I think an appropriate punishment for Bertuzzi would be this:

1. Wait for Moore to get back to playing form, take the number of days this took and multiply it by two.

2. Add one year on top of that.

3. that is how long Bertuzzi sits out.

I used to have a lot of respect for that man as a tough, smart, physical player. Now all I see in him is a thug, plain and simple. No better than a common street criminal who would slit your throat for your wallet.

As far as 'Coach' (i use this term loosely) Crawford goes. He ordered the hit on Moore, he should face league sanctions too. Like fire him, suspend him from coaching for the same time Bertuzzi gets using my formula above.

I understand that Hockey is a physical and emotional game. I expect to see guys drop gloves every now and then and hash out there greivances in a quick fisticuffs, and then sit down for 5. What Bertuzzi did however crosses that line into Felony Assault, or whatever the proper term in Canada is.

Ok, I am gonna stop venting before I turn into a sports columnist.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Bertuzzi's punisment did not go far enough. Nor for Crawford. That was a deliberate attempt to injure another. I don't care what some may think Bertuzzi is a hot head, especially if Vancouver is losing. He gets irritated quickly and then dishes out pretty wicked hits and some cheap shots.
I believe that he should be charged with criminal charges in a civil court for what he did. This type of action has no place in hockey. What would happen to somebody if they did that on the street, or in a club??
And to those that say hockey is a bunch of goons beating each other up, then maybe you should watch a few games on TV during the season, like 60-85 games. I do, and there is not nearly the fighting there once was, say 15-20 years ago. Sure tempers rise and the gloves get dropped once in awhile, but as soon as either a sweater gets pulled over the other guys head or they fall to the ice the linesman and refs are in to break it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:59 pm 
born to perform.

I agree with the Chief (something I never would have done when I was active duty USN :wink: )but, back on topic.

The NHL has cleaned up it's act a lot over the last 15 years or so. The old joke used to go 'I was watching a fight the other night and a Hockey game broke out.' this joke used to not be to far from the truth.

I do watch a lot of Hockey, around 45 - 50 regular season games and of course all the playoffs on top of that. Hockey isn't as violent as it used to be, a lot fewer fights then there used to be and the game has improved dramatically for it.

The assault on Moore draws a lot of negative attention that the game doesn't need right now, not with the looming labor dispute and possible lockout for next season.

For the casualy Hockey fan, let me reassure you, this incident is not indicative of the sport.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:42 pm 
born to perform.

Let me just say this: The whole incident is terrible for the game of hockey. This coming from someone who has enjoyed watching the game since the age of 5. Yes, hockey is a "tough sport" but what Todd (Bertuzzi) did was too much. I don't think he should be playing for a couple of years anyway. Although I know how bad he must feel now (must be terrible for him) he should have thought more beforehand. Hockey is dangerous enough without the out of control players. When he jumped Steve Moore he was obviously trying to injure him (just watch the replay) and this whole problem has brought the unnecessary attention of fans and league officials...instead of worrying about this they could be worrying about having a season next year...but thats another story.

The bottom line (to me anyways) is that one of the superstars of the league seriously injured this player. When one of your best players (in the NHL) does something like this, you have to show the rest of the players it will not be tolerated. And I do not think the NHL will be able to do that unless they suspend Bertuzzi for a long time...I don't think they will be able to suspend him for very long, however, because the league is in so much trouble right now as it is....thats my opinion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:20 pm 
born to perform.

elimin8or23 wrote:
Here in Denver however, the big uproar is over coach (chicken sh**) Crawford. 2 days before this game, they played in Denver, and he stated after that game there would be a head hunt for Moore. If you are a team leader, and directly tell your players to go out to injure someone, the blame should rest on your shoulders. He should take the brunt of this punnishment. I hope they do something about him!!!!

yes in fact he had been saying that which ever team mate got moore got "the loot" :cry: