View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I need help coming up with a new set.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:44 am 
Penguin

I've decided that I'd like to give escapes a try.
I'm looking into getting a straight jacket because a member of my local IBM ring offered to teach me the methods if I was interested.
I have been pointed in the dirrection of Performance Jackets as the people to go through for a good starter jacket.
I sent them an e-mail asking for their advise on what size I would need but they haven't responded to me and it's been a few days.
I have no idea what my measurements are and so don't know what size straight jacket I should get.
I'm around 220-230lbs, 6'3", kinda broad shouldered.
I'm not fat, but I've got a bit of a gut. I hear that escaping from straight jackets is a good workout though.
I was thinking that I might want an XL size, but I don't know if that would be too big... I don't wan't it to be clearly oversized on me. I don't know anything about it though, and I don't want to get a jacket that isn't big enough either.

Besides the jacket, I was hoping for help in coming up with the set itself.

Basicly, here's my idea.
This is most likely going to be "Street Magic" in the sence that I'll be doing it outside, usuaily at local festivals and fairs. I'd be most likely surrounded on all sides and doing it in the middle of a croud.
This is where I do a good portion of my stuff anymore... I go and do traditional effects like Cups and Balls and Linking Rings. I like the old idea of a street performer entertaining the crouds for tips and for the love of the art.
I have a lot of comedy mixed up in my shows, and I love earning a laugh from a group.

Anyway, my new plan is something like this.
An onlooker is asked to help secure me in a straight jacket.
Once I'm in the jacket, I then tell the audience that I will be putting on a show for them, I will entertain them with a little magic, all while being clearly tied up in this jacket.
I will do things that will amaze them, and in the end escape from the straight jacket.

I have no doubt that I can learn to get out of a straight jacket easily enough, the guy I'll be apprenticing under claims that he can teach me to get out of one in under 30 seconds. I don't think I'd need that fast of an escape, I intend to milk it and make each step of the escape part of the show.

What I need help with are magical effects I can do while I"m in the jacket.
I need to be able to do them without use of my hands.

The first thing that springs to mind is mental effects.
But mentalism is not my strong suit... I have trouble memorizing stacks and equations... math was never my best subject.

I then thought of self working tricks. I pulled some of Karl Fulves books off my shelf and dusted them off and started reading through the self working sections.

I have only really found one that I liked that I could do while restrained... but I'd have to stack the deck before hand and hope they dont shuffle it.

I was hoping you wonderfull people might be able to suggest some effects I could do while in a straight jacket.
I don't think I'm the first guy to ever have this idea, perhaps one of you have seen it done before and could tell me a little about the act you saw.
I by no means want to rip off anyones act though... so if you do share, I would love to know the name of the the performer so I can contact or credit them, or at least please don't tell me the order the efects happened in.

I got the idea from two sources.
I was reading a book about the history or street performing past and present, and looking into cities where I can perform without having to buy a street performers licence each time. I came across the subject of straight jacket escapes several times. The book claimed that escapes make more per hour in tips than any other type of street performing. This got me interested in learning to get out of a straight jacket.
The second sourse was a DVD on pickpocket magic. It's a subject I'm interested in, but have no real way of practicing... I believe the DVD was put out by Magic Makers.
At the end of the DVD there was a bonus performance. The performer walked up to a group and asked to be put in the jacket. He goofed around a little, and eventuaily got out of the jacket. The croud seemed impressed enough, but then he proceded to remove the man that put him in the jackets wallet, cell phone, and sunglasses from inside the sleeve of the jacket. The ending where he shows that not only could he get out of the jacket, but remove items from your person while doing so was great.

Ok, this was a bit of a long post... I hope to hear back soon.
Thanks
MOT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:14 pm 
Penguin

Yo,

Yeah about the strait jacket. I am 6'1'', 215 pounds and broad shouldered. An XL strait jacet fits a chest of about a 44''-46'' chest, just in my size range. A 2XL jacket is a 47''-49'' chest. I hope this helps you out some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:53 pm 
born to perform.

you could do a tossed out deck routine. cept you wouldnt be able to toss it. get someone else to do that part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:01 am 
born to perform.

Personally, I think being in the jacket would distract from, rather than add to, the magic, and would add a burlesque element to the show that would cause the escape to be taken less seriously.

But as Crowley would say, "do as thou wilt..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:19 am 
Penguin

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the term tossed out deck.
Could you name a few examples so I can look them up?
Thanks
MOT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:21 am 
Emperor Penguin

gazzos toss out deck. here at penguin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:18 am 
Penguin

Thank you.
Anyone else able to think of anything? this is good.