View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New to escape.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:53 pm 
born to perform.

For starters, this isnt a thread asking about what i should buy or whats the cheapest or whatever.

I recently came back from Home Depot with a chain about 3 feet long and a nice lock. I asked my family to chain together my wrists HOWEVER THEY LIKE, with no restrictions or anything. Then, they close the lock. I'm able to free myself every time, and each time my family chained me up a different way. I dont use any gimmicks, i can just wiggle and twist free, and i think an advantage is that i have skinny wrists. The cool thing is that the spectator thinks that they have the upper hand when they chain me up, but they don't know how easy they're actually making it for me!

Is this good progress for a beginner at escapology?

Hopefully i'll be able to buy the Dixie Dooley DVD's someday, but not anytime soon because i have nowhere near a hundred bucks. Escaping is lot's of fun and i'm glad i bought that chain and lock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:56 pm 
born to perform.

Not really. You're experimenting blindly.

Try looping just ONE SHORT STRAND of the chain TIGHTLY around ONE WRIST and locking it TIGHTLY.

If you can squeeze your hand out, try the same thing with a tight-fitting adjustable handcuff.

If you can squeeze out of that, you've got a unique wrist-and-hand physiology nobody in history (that I know of) has ever had.

The next step: Lock a chain snugly aound your neck and try squeezing your head out. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:06 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Vice President of the cannot join unless you are Serbian club!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
The next step: Lock a chain snugly aound your neck and try squeezing your head out. :wink:

Trying to get rid of the competition eh? He said he had skinny wrists

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:45 pm 
born to perform.

Dr_Stephen_Midnight, you just said in the previous post that a beginner escape artist shouldnt start with handcuffs, yet you just told me that i should try and start with handcuffs. I'm confused :shock:

And also, i think i am good for a beginner, and so will the average layman.

I compared it to the siberian chain escape, which uses a lock, a chain, and the spectator chains you tightly. It is also un-gimmicked. It also got great reviews in the thread here about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:19 pm 
Emperor Penguin

kraynik wrote:
Dr_Stephen_Midnight, you just said in the previous post that a beginner escape artist shouldnt start with handcuffs, yet you just told me that I should try and start with handcuffs. I'm confused :shock:

And also, I think I am good for a beginner, and so will the average layman.

I compared it to the siberian chain escape, which uses a lock, a chain, and the spectator chains you tightly. It is also un-gimmicked. It also got great reviews in the thread here about it.

You dont understand what he was getting at. Dr. Stephen has been in escapes for a long time, so he knows what hes talking about. So i will let him explain it. He will do better than me.
----

Do you do this under cover, or out in the open? How fast can you get out?

With the siberian chain escape, it is an instant release, no squeezing and doenst have to be under cover.

What your doing does not make you good for a beginner.

edited give it to me and you'll need the key. And trust me you'll run into some one that will lock it around just right so you cant get out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:23 pm 
born to perform.

okay, thanks for clearing thinks up, DavidTheCryptic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:56 am 
born to perform.

Yes, all I am saying is that experimenting blindly and getting a false sense of 'mastery' will get you in trouble in the long run.
Take the time to learn escape techniques, and always remember that what you are doing is an ACT intended to ENTERTAIN.
There is no such thing as a person who can get out of absolutely anything. An escape artist creates the psychological illusion that he MIGHT be able to get out of almost anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:08 pm 
Penguin

It also depends on the size of the links on the chains. For me, larger links are harder to get out of.
I think that practicing with your family is fine. Mainly because if you can't get out, they "shouldn't" be so hard on you as a real audiance might.

Also work on some rope ties.

Also invest in the escapology literature.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:41 pm 
Penguin

Try looking around these forums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:07 am 
born to perform.

I started out like this I went blindly at my school tallent show. I took ten feet of chain and a master lock had people chain me up any way they wanted you know to a chair, whole body everything.I escaped institly every time. It was amazing but after a while I relized that every time they tried to restrict me moer the easyer it got. One person hog tied me behind my back of course my legs cant reach my hands so it gave me TONS of slack. It may seem cool at first but soon you will want a real chalenge. I look forward to that day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:23 pm 
born to perform.

They obviously had no clue as to how to effectively bind a human being (most laymen don't). :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:14 pm 
Penguin

Study some hojojutsu (japanese rope tying art) and you'll see how to bind a person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:06 pm 
born to perform.

Some of the hojojitsu is impractical to use on an entertainer, however, as the effectiveness of some of these ties depend on their being 'strangle ties.' A good, performing escapologist always stipulates that no bonds be arranged so as to cause danger of strangulation (an old Houdini stipulation).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:59 pm 
Penguin

The 100 ft. rope escape is an easy and cheap escape thats in lots of books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:13 am 
Penguin

Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Some of the hojojitsu is impractical to use on an entertainer, however, as the effectiveness of some of these ties depend on their being 'strangle ties.' A good, performing escapologist always stipulates that no bonds be arranged so as to cause danger of strangulation (an old Houdini stipulation).
Actually, Stephen, I was only saying that for a joke as the one poster was saying how he always gets out no matter how he's tied.