View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Size and Escapes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:00 pm 
Penguin

Ok... I want to try to learn an escape, but i have a question. Will i be able to do it or would i be waisting my money? I am fat, so i dont know if i will be able to move around enough to do it. I am thinking about a Straitjacket, or a Tom Horn Belt. I have never done an escape before, but i have 5 months to work on it. I want to know if i may be able to do it. If these arent good for now, what should i try. i ha ve about 2050to spend on a n escape. Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:17 am 
born to perform.

There have been some good, overweight escapologists in the biz, but you have to be careful. Keep the escapes simple (not physically demanding). Tom Horn Belt is good; just make sure you get one sized to fit. Straitjacket is also good; use a gaffed jacket to start until you are physically fit to tackle a regulation jacket (if you decide to do so).
Simple rope and chain effects are also good, including the 75' challenge tie.

I do recommend a campaign to lose the excess pounds if you want more flexibility in what you can do (isometrics; free weights; yoga; aerobics).
I can sympathize, as my weight has gone up and down over the years, and I am currently working to shed a few pounds (harder now since I am a few weeks from turning 50)

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:08 pm 
Penguin

Thanks, do you know where i can get a gaffed strait jacket and are they examinable? I am going to be performing this for my Family Reunion in about 5 months along with a magic show. I want the trick to look hard and take a couple of minutes. Overall, do you reccomend the Tom Horn belt or a gimmicked strait jacket. I have another question about straitjackets. I heard to escape from one (i dont know if this is exposure) you have to actully dislocate your shoulder. Is this true? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:42 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Cannons Great Escapes has them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:11 am 
born to perform.

Quote:
Thanks, do you know where i can get a gaffed strait jacket and are they examinable? I want the trick to look hard and take a couple of minutes. Overall, do you reccomend the Tom Horn belt or a gimmicked strait jacket. I have another question about straitjackets. I heard to escape from one (i dont know if this is exposure) you have to actully dislocate your shoulder. Is this true?

David is right; Cannon's is the best source.
Most gaffed jackets are fairly examinable, but I have never had a jacket 'examined.' A straitjacket is so straightforward-looking that an 'examination' rarely, if ever, becomes an issue.
You definitely want it to look hard, but don't go beyond about a minute-and-a-half to escape (I usually take about a minute, and that's plenty).
Given a choice, get the straitjacket; it's a familiar device and the idea of being encased from neck-to-hips in a restraint has a strong impact on an audience.
The 'shoulder dislocation' myth was a Houdini horror story intended to discourage imitators. You don't need to dislocate anything to do a straitjacket escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:31 pm 
Penguin

I think i am going to get a straitjacket and one of the dixie dooley DVDs, what size should i get? I weigh 260 and i have a 38-40 inch waist. I am about 6 foot and growing. I dont want to waist my money cause i dont have much. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:36 pm 
Emperor Penguin

TRISWYATT wrote:
I think i am going to get a straitjacket and one of the dixie dooley DVDs, what size should i get? I weigh 260 and i have a 38-40 inch waist. I am about 6 foot and growing. I dont want to waist my money cause i dont have much. thanks

Just a warning, dont get Dixies dvd for the straitjacket or handcuff picking. Neither are covered very well.

And size wise; most say to go a size larger, giving you moving room.

The best way I found to escape from a Strait jacket is to put it on, and experiment.

I do a slightly different method every time, as I allow people to chain me up with 20ft of chain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:59 am 
born to perform.

You might invest in John Novak's 'Art of Escape' volume, "Escapes from a Strait Jacket." Cannon offers a discount on this book if you buy it along with a straitjacket.

Cannon's site gives guidelines on straitjacket sizing for each model (on the purchasing details page for each one).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:02 pm 
Penguin

I think i am going to get his jacket http://www.performancejackets.com/Snap% ... Jacket.htm . I think i will buy it gimmicked since there is no real differance in the prices. Should i get it normal colored or would it be ok to get a black, red or some other cool color one. would this make it look fake? Should i still get a book/dvd if i get it gimmicked? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:44 pm 
born to perform.

Any particular reason for settling on a snap-hook jacket? Price, maybe?

For a good regulation jacket, with actual straps, at a good price:

http://handcuffwarehouse.com/hurestja.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:52 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I own both kinds, and prefer straps. I finally cut off the sleeves of the hook one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:33 pm 
born to perform.

you want a little smaller than your size so its harder for you to get out but still easly to get out. I get a bright color so it stands out like red, which is the color i have.

I have a clip but have another that is strapes

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:30 pm 
born to perform.

Okay, call me old-fashioned, I think a straitjacket looks more 'legit' when it's made from white canvas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:39 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Okay, call me old-fashioned, I think a straitjacket looks more 'legit' when it's made from white canvas.

Agreed. And it relates in their mind to the hospital or prison/insane asylum. It gives more to the "act".

I would go against what genious says. As you are slightly larger, no offense, I would either get your size or even go a size larger. It will give you more freedom and make it slightly easier. Going smaller will make it harder, and might not even fit right- and if you get some one who knows what they are doing you might not get out- especially if your new.

But since your getting a gimmicked one, I recommend getting your size- not smaller, not bigger.

And again since its gimmicked, get white, to draw less attention to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:26 pm 
Penguin

Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Any particular reason for settling on a snap-hook jacket? Price, maybe?

For a good regulation jacket, with actual straps, at a good price:

http://handcuffwarehouse.com/hurestja.html

What is the differance between a snap hook jacket and a strap jacket? Price is why i want that one, and plus its gimmicked.