View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Escape Artist Awards
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:26 pm 
Penguin

As some of you may know, the Cannon's Escape Convention gives out thier annual Silvercuff Award. Now I'm all for recognition, but shouldn't their be a level of honor distinguishing each awardee? How about an awards board which select's from a pool of those most deserving, not just give an award away to whomever, while those most deserving are overlooked? The last Escape Convention was a perfect example!!! How about levels of awards like other organizations have? Silvercuff could be one. How about a Gold Handcuff Award? How about a Legends Award for outstanding achievement? Escape Artist Awards should be for Escape Artist's not for those who just perform one or two escapes in their magic act!!!! Awards should be earned and not given away because some name will be attending this function or that function for promotion purposes. I think an award should be named after someone as well, an award that stands above and beyond all others!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:38 pm 
Emperor Penguin

You basically hinting that Baker deserves one, is that it. Are you that jealous? your ego is just so big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:41 pm 
Penguin

This has been on my mind for years! I cast my vote for an annual Steve Baker, Mr Escape Award to be given to the most outstanding escape artist of the year. This is exactly the kind of thing that is needed and would bring credibility to the award.

KINGDINI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:56 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I think the fact that they are given by Mark Cannon at his Escape Convention, gives them enough credibility.

Mark has done alot in the Escape world, and has helped alot of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm 
Penguin

I'll second KINGDINI

Don Randini

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:13 am 
born to perform.

Between Mark Cannon and Ian McColl, escapology has experienced a Renaissance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:42 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:

I would have to agree on that.

for those who dont under stand what Renaissance is...

- a rebirth or revival, for example, of culture, skills, or learning forgotten or previously ignored .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:05 pm 
Penguin

DavidTheCryptic wrote:

- a rebirth or revival, for example, of culture, skills, or learning forgotten or previously ignored .

I believe the revival if you will, came as a result of Mr Escape coming out of retirement. His presense at the Magic Cafe, Magic Castle, the Criss Angel TV Show and his very own website got the whole world talking about escapes again. :lol:

KINGDINI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:09 pm 
Emperor Penguin

KINGDINI wrote:
DavidTheCryptic wrote:

I believe the revival if you will, came as a result of Mr Escape coming out of retirement. His presense at the Magic Cafe, Magic Castle, the Criss Angel TV Show and his very own website got the whole world talking about escapes again. :lol:

KINGDINI
I have to disagree. When I ask people here about escapes, they name David Blaine and Criss Angel. They are the ones in the public eye who have done escapes on tv. Im not saying they are responsible for a revival, but they are the ones who most people will end up naming. Those two, or Houdini. Because really, people arent heavily exposed to escape artists.

When I first got into escapes, the person I heard the most about was Mark Cannon. So I have to agree with David and Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:01 pm 
born to perform.

I seriously thought that Steve baker was dead until you guys started arguing about him. Tell him to come to my house, I have an "EScape Kings Chair" That I would like to put him into and see if he can get out. It would be fun to see him try!

Post subject: Gold award???
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:58 am 
Penguin

I don't think that making a new award is necessary. It's hard to say who if any of the performers is the more outstanding.
Each has their own style. As a silver handcuff award has already been given, I cannot see why one would want to give a gold award as it is likely to turn up on ebay anyway like the key to city, strait jackets from the astrodome and many other items which were not cherished anyway.

Ian

Post subject: Re: Gold award???
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:34 pm 
Penguin

replicator wrote:
I don't think that making a new award is necessary. It's hard to say who if any of the performers is the more outstanding.
Each has their own style. As a silver handcuff award has already been given, I cannot see why one would want to give a gold award as it is likely to turn up on ebay anyway like the key to city, strait jackets from the astrodome and many other items which were not cherished anyway.

Ian

Now just what are you trying to imply there Ian? :evil:

Post subject: Re: Gold award???
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:56 pm 
Penguin

replicator wrote:

Ian

The Gold Handcuff Award would signify the greatest achievement for the Escape Artist. Like the Oscar, it tells everyone you have reached the very top in this business and have received the most prestigious award that can be bestowed to the Escape Artist. It's a sign of ultimate achievement and I would surely think would be cherished by anyone to whom given!!!

KINGDINI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:02 pm 
Penguin

Sounds like a great idea if it was awarded only to escape artist's.

The problem with the Silver Handcuff Award given out by the Cannon's is they don't limit it to the escape artist like it should be!

They gave them out to Magicians during the last Convention. I could name a dozen escape artist's that should have been awarded the Silver Handcuff before those two Magicians.

Santino Labeef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:45 pm 
Penguin

SantinoLabeef wrote:
Sounds like a great idea if it was awarded only to escape artist's.

The problem with the Silver Handcuff Award given out by the Cannon's is they don't limit it to the escape artist like it should be!

They gave them out to Magicians during the last Convention. I could name a dozen escape artist's that should have been awarded the Silver Handcuff before those two Magicians.

Santino Labeef

Right on Santino!