View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: McColl STR-8
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:05 pm 
Penguin

Does anyone have this rather odd simple looking device? It appears it locks via a padlock.

Randini

Post subject: Re: McColl STR-8
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:14 pm 
Penguin

DonRandini wrote:
Does anyone have this rather odd simple looking device? It appears it locks via a padlock.

Randini

I have seen this at the Cannon Convention and it's just a bent piece of metal with a hole to apply the lock to secure. You can get it at Cannon's for $220.00 if you can believe that. They even have one that is gimmicked for $240.00. If you know how to bend flatstock and drill holes you can make one for $10.00!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:19 pm 
Emperor Penguin

DonRandini wrote:

Randini

Looks can be decieving. Under-estimate your foe and you'll get bit.

Dont judge to harshy till you have tried it out.

It does use a padlock, all you had to do was read the description on Cannons- not that complicated.
The 'cuff' parts are also fitted to ones self, so ones hands cany just slip out.

Odd; most hand cuffs do look "odd."

To me, it sounds like your just stirring it up.

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

mochin wrote:
DonRandini wrote:

Randini

I have seen this at the Cannon Convention and it's just a bent piece of metal with a hole to apply the lock to secure. You can get it at Cannon's for $220.00 if you can believe that. They even have one that is gimmicked for $240.00. If you know how to bend flatstock and drill holes you can make one for $10.00!!!!

and yet you got onto me, when I mentioned that I can make a pair of french shackels... :? Odd isnt it. :roll:

The STR-8 cuffs are hand made by Ian himself, top of the line. Not just bent by some random person. They are top of the line, extremely well made. Cannons nor Ian, would settle for less.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:37 pm 
Penguin

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
mochin wrote:
DonRandini wrote:

Randini

and yet you got onto me, when I mentioned that I can make a pair of french shackels... :? Odd isnt it. :roll:

The STR-8 cuffs are hand made by Ian himself, top of the line. Not just bent by some random person. They are top of the line, extremely well made. Cannons nor Ian, would settle for less.

Have you ever tried them on or even own a set David? As a side note, not everything sold at Cannon's is top of the line :!:

KINGDINI

Post subject: STR8-cuff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:30 pm 
Penguin

The STR8-cuff was made for a bit of fun and I took it to the 2005 escape artist convention held by Cannon's great escapes.

On the Friday night of the convention several people gathered in the lobby of the hotel among them was Elliot Cutler, John Bushey, Mark Cannon, Stan Willis and several other notable people ( about 10 in all) Myself and Mr Steve Baker included. I though it a great opportunity to show of my new invention and when back to my room to get it. I brought it back and let it be passed around. Mr Baker's eyes light up when he saw how simple the design was and I can only imagine that he thought he could slip his hands from the wrist shackles as this cuff was no adjustable and my have appeared to him that he had room to do so. I asked him if he would like to try it on and he put out his arms. I closed the cuff but as I had no padlock I could not lock it. While we all watched, Mr Baker tried to pull his wrists from the shackles but was thwarted by his upper arms being locked in as well. The expression on his face changed, I think he realised that the cuff was more difficult than he imagined.

Then in he lent forward and made the unlocked cuff swing open and in a sudden flourish of his arms, made a grand gesture as if he had beaten the cuffs in front of a real audience.

Later a few of the guests mentioned the strange behaviour of Mr Baker in that he seemed to be performing and that he had beaten a locked cuff and was making a big deal about it when there was no need to in such an informal setting.

Some said that if the cuff was actually locked there was no way he would have escaped.

On the Sunday morning, I brought the cuff back down to ask Mr Baker if I could get a photo of him in the cuff so I could get a photo.
He reluctantly agreed. The impression I got was that he didn't like the idea of being locked in a cuff that he could escape from. As I put him in the cuff, escape artist Thomas Solomon said to padlock it to make it look good. I said I had no padlock and he lent over to the Cannon's dealers table and grabbed a padlock, which he locked on.

Mr Baker's face whole body language changed, he knew he was trapped in a cuff that there was no apparent escape from and he knew it.

The padlock that was used didn't have keys and I had to pick the padlock in order to let Mr Baker. At this point he wasn't happy, as i picked, many people took photos.

It must have cause some embarassment to him as he starting to tell as many as he could that he had respect for me and didn't want to show me up by escaping.

Ian McColl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:50 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I personally think they look quite interesting. And I can understand the price as well. They are expensive, but then again, escapology is an expensive art.

Once I get some extra money, I might have to pick up a pair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:36 pm 
Penguin

Ian McColl is right about one thing. Steve Baker didn't want to show him up by escaping from the STR8.

KINGDINI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:48 pm 
Penguin

KINGDINI wrote:
Ian McColl is right about one thing. Steve Baker didn't want to show him up by escaping from the STR8.

KINGDINI

That's the way several on lookers in the lobby had seen it. Steve Baker was actually just posing with it for promotion purposes and that photo taken of him with it on has been completely twisted of the facts. It's a shame really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:29 pm 
Penguin

Hi moderators, I see my last post to this thread has been deleted and now the real story is not being told. Does mochin work for the Pentagon and is allowed to put his own spin on it to deceive the masses.

The truth should be allowed not the spin like with the Pentagon spin on Iraq 'heroes' exposed.

Ian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:23 pm 
Penguin

mochin wrote:
DonRandini wrote:

Randini

Appreciate the information Mochin, THANKS!

Don Randini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:57 pm 
Penguin

DonRandini wrote:
mochin wrote:
DonRandini wrote:

Randini

Appreciate the information Mochin, THANKS!

Don Randini

You are very welcome :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:35 pm 

replicator wrote:
Hi moderators, I see my last post to this thread has been deleted and now the real story is not being told. Does mochin work for the Pentagon and is allowed to put his own spin on it to deceive the masses.

The truth should be allowed not the spin like with the Pentagon spin on Iraq 'heroes' exposed.

Ian

The thread drifted back into the "fake name" realm rather than staying on topic.

Enough of the story remains to continue the thread about STR-8, as long as it doesn't revert back to name calling and speculating on people's true identities or motives for posting here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:24 am 
Penguin

H Dave V, thanks for your reply, if it's okay with you here is a modified psoting which shouldn't be off subject. It still contains the essence of what I wanted to say.

..Hey Mochin and Randini and Kingdini, I guess you weren't at the 2005 escape convention.
Baker couldn't get out and I had to let him out. If he wanted to show us his ability, he would have tried.
His style has always been to slip handcuffs, all made to a size in which he could do that or using variations of the in/out oval link and chains. All slippable. The STR8-cuff is made to a fixed size and had it not been for his upper arms being locked in, the he might have slip the cuff part. Which is what he tried to do in the lobby when he first tried them but he didn't quiet understand that with his upper arms trapped, slipping the cuffs was not an option.

He was in the spotlight for a minute after being out of it for almost ten years. This was his big opportunity but no.

After it he could have easily been locked into it again and posed for photos but didn't, the only photos I know of are those of me picking to the lock.

Thanks for talking down my product, the negetive promotion allude to the cuff having trapped even an escape artist and therefore a good restrictive cuff. As to the price, your call. If I don'thave to make any more then I would have more free time.

Back to making some STR8-cuffs.

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:53 pm 
Penguin

This story as told by Ian has more holes than a golf course!!!! There seems to be only one way to resolve this fairytail of Ian's, but to respect Dave V as the moderator the issue cannot be resolved here at this forum. If Ian McColl has real faith in his story and prop then I will leave it up to him to figure out the most honorable solution which won't require much thought on his part. Hint... all eyes on this coming October!!!!