View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: to young
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:24 pm 
Penguin

is ten years old to young for escapes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

No its not.

But there is more to it than just age.
You need to be failry mature, have common sense, great presentation skills, drive, people that are willing to help, equipment, a good study habit, money, and more.

Before you "dive" into escapes, ask yourself why, and think hard about it. Escapes arent for every one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:48 pm 
Penguin

thanks you answered my question in the pickpocketing section to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:33 am 
born to perform.

the person who taught me pick pocketing was greg wilson (indirectly through On the Spot). Misdirection is the Key to pickpocketing (and watch stealing, however i recommend you pickup the mini course in watch stealing just to see how t take of the watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:40 pm 
Penguin

No way i am 10, i have done a mail bag escape at a talent show, escaped a straight jack lots of time and more if i can you can :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:43 pm 
born to perform.

not much of an escapist but why would age matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:08 am 

One word... Believability

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:29 am 
born to perform.

Children can make bad judgements. I heard James Randi talk in an interview once about a young boy who wrote him frequently. He wrote about the major escape stunt that he was planning on doing - an underwater handcuff escape with no real training. Randi wrote back to him telling him the stunt was a bad idea. The boy ignored him and one day when his parents went to the shops he got into his wet suit and cuffed himself to the foot of his bed. There was complications and he was unable to pick the lock. The wetsuit caused him to dehydrate and he died, alone, handcuffed to his bed.
Children can make bad judgements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:38 am 
Penguin

Yes, kids can make bad judgements, but so can adults.
I've seen plenty of kids perform escapes and be succesful.
Devon Owens did a mailbag escape http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qk3Z7zMXGg
And kids are also perfectly capable of doing Metamorphosis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOVp1bizHwc

I see no problems with a 10-year-old doing escapeology as long as they keep safety in mind and have a parent present when they're practicing.

Post subject: Re: to young
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:54 pm 
born to perform.

It's not "Children vs. Adults, who's Dumber" OK. Put simply escapes are dangerous PERIOD. If you or your child are planning on escaping you need to get all the info you can get and start small. No matter who you are.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:05 pm 

That's a gross oversimplification(Yes, I responded to use those words in public.). Escapes in themselves aren't dangerous. I use the Kellar Rope Tie and know guys that use the 100 Ft Rope/Chain escapes as well as numerous other escapes. Escapology is only dangerous if you don't pay attention to the inherent dangers in the bigger escapes. It's unlikely that someone that takes the proper care in preparing will actually be seriously hurt. The problem comes when people with no training, no instructors, and no safeties to watch them and make sure they're safe. In 98% of situations, you shouldn't practice escapes on your own. In most of them, you can't practice on your own. If you use common sense, you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:17 pm 
born to perform.

Escapes can be done by kids to great effect. I'm the mentor for a magic club at the school I teach at. We put on a little show that includes handcuffs, sub trunk, spirit cabinet, and straight jacket. Some of these use escape principles for magic effects and others are presented as an escape. The Straight jacket gets a huge reaction as the audience will really empathize with the underdog. Houdini realized this and always made sure to get the biggest cops he could find to restrain him.

DO: Practice under adult supervision, perform under adult supervision.
DON"T: do water escapes, upside down escapes, or buried alive escapes.
Being a kid you won't need to go to such extremes to get good reactions. Furthermore, you might turn off many audience members as they sit their thinking "What kind of parents would let their child do such a thing!" In fact, weather you are a child or an adult, you don't need to be performing an escape in my don't column as long as you are an amateur. Those are the escapes that should be left to the professionals only.