View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: handcuffs
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:28 pm 
Penguin

hey could you geive me a hint do you have to use something to get out of handcuffs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:13 pm 
born to perform.

i think that is asking for exposire which is not allowed. :roll: if you are really into this stuff you can buy the dixie dooley DVD's which include how to escape from handcuffs (amongst other things)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:07 pm 
Penguin

hey dude is not exposire i been in magic for 6 years i now what is exposire. my question is simple does it use some skill or not or does it uses any kind of stuff.

quote="gerchi7"]i think that is asking for exposire which is not allowed. :roll: if you are really into this stuff you can buy the dixie dooley DVD's which include how to escape from handcuffs (amongst other things)[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:17 am 
Penguin

magic boy, dude i been doing magic 19 years, and yes i say this is exposure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:25 am 
Penguin

I've been doing magic for 35 years. Your question is a combination of both. The question does it take skill, is not exposure. Yes it takes skill if you are using regulation cuffs. Even with a key there is skill involved. If the cuffs are gimmicked, the skill level is very minimum.

As for the question of does it use any kind of stuff, that could be considered exposure if I answered that. What "kind of stuff" are you referring to? We all have heard of lock picks. If you are asking how to use them, and I tell you, my response is exposure. If I answer yes but do not explain it, it is no exposure.

If you are interested in using handcuffs in an escape act, there is material out there. Invest in the material. Read and learn it and then practice it. If you need specific help, perhaps an e-mail someone along with some of your credentials, they may be willing to help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:28 pm 
born to perform.

The explanation in the Dooley DVDs on handcuffs is WEAK. I own the series and although the other stuff is good, the handcuff escape is Weak (with a capital W :D ). If you want some good material you could try:

-IAN McCOLL'S & MARK CANNON'S "HANDCUFF MANIPULATION TRAINING KIT" (H.M.T.K.)
-IAN McCOLL'S "ADVANCED HANDCUFF MANIPULATION"
-[edited] NORMAN’S “MODERN HANDCUFF SECRETS FOR MAGICIANS”
And for British handcuffs:
-JOSEPH LAUHER'S "BRITISH HANDCUFFS: A COLLECTOR'S GUIDE TO VINTAGE HANDCUFFS"

There is tons more material out there. This is just to name a few.

Post subject: be carefull
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:42 pm 
Penguin

you might want to becarefull where you do handcuff escapes I talked to a few police officers and looked it up online about florida laws and in fl its illegal to escape from a pair of handcuffs (unless they are toy cuffs or the quick release cuffs) i told him i did magic and was thinking bout learning how to do cuff escapes and they told me you can be fined even if you're performing for shows so check the laws in your state and check with your law enforcement and make sure things are ok because you can get in trouble if you do it in front of the wrong person

Post subject: Re: be carefull
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:21 pm 
Penguin

bigdavid03 wrote:
you might want to becarefull where you do handcuff escapes I talked to a few police officers and looked it up online about florida laws and in fl its illegal to escape from a pair of handcuffs (unless they are toy cuffs or the quick release cuffs) i told him i did magic and was thinking bout learning how to do cuff escapes and they told me you can be fined even if you're performing for shows so check the laws in your state and check with your law enforcement and make sure things are ok because you can get in trouble if you do it in front of the wrong person

Are you sure about that? I live in Florida and I do handcuff escapes all the time. If it's true I have been breaking the law for a while.

If you could post a hyperlink to the site where that is posted.

Nate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:33 pm 
Penguin

In new york you are aloud to do handcuff escapes, and Dixie Dooley doesn't explain the handcuffs well at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:01 pm 
born to perform.

No he doesn't, I was really disapointed about that. My dad (Former Cop, SWAT officer, and MP) showed me though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:00 pm 
Penguin

JCH wrote:
The explanation in the Dooley DVDs on handcuffs is WEAK. I own the series and although the other stuff is good, the handcuff escape is Weak (with a capital W :D ). If you want some good material you could try:

-IAN McCOLL'S & MARK CANNON'S "HANDCUFF MANIPULATION TRAINING KIT" (H.M.T.K.)
-IAN McCOLL'S "ADVANCED HANDCUFF MANIPULATION"
-[edited] NORMAN’S “MODERN HANDCUFF SECRETS FOR MAGICIANS”
And for British handcuffs:
-JOSEPH LAUHER'S "BRITISH HANDCUFFS: A COLLECTOR'S GUIDE TO VINTAGE HANDCUFFS"

There is tons more material out there. This is just to name a few.

Available at www.cannonsgreatescapes.com[url]

Post subject: What's the big deal
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:38 am 
Penguin

Ok, To start with, no Dixie does not cover how to pick handcuffs, for the simple reason " there is no need to"! You can open any handcuff's simply by bypassing the lock. As a locksmith I can say this because I just sat down and did it. For those of you that have purchased the DVD's you need to sit down and listen to what he says in it. When I do escapes, I don't even use gimmicks locks of any kind, because there is no need to. So if you are just starting, sit down with the locks you want to use and take a very close look at them. With a little bit of brains and time you will figure it out too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:54 am 
Penguin

:!:

Last edited by me4928 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:13 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Yorkshire, England. My socks are multi-coloured - I AM THE PARTY !!!! ~Loony Chairman~
Most handcuffs on single lock can be shimed, I do not consider this exposure as if you go on any other escapology forum they talk about things like this, they talk about the best material to use, they talk about how to get out of double locked handcuffs when beind the back. Just search for a Real escapology forum and you will find out how to do things like this.
-Team Buzz

Last edited by Team_Buzz on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:13 pm 
Penguin

Ok, you are right in some means, but I believe that 99 o/o of the cuffs that the police use are the s&w or the peerless. I also wasn't talking about taking on chalenges by the way. Of course I will say that I have opened many high security cuffs and without a key. But if you are really interested in taking on chalenges from the public you should know as many types of handcuffs that are out there and know how they work. We all know that escape artist today have spare keys to many of different kids of handcuffs to use or use gimmicked ones, and yes even some may use picks. So it all falls back to this. If you are going to take on challenges be sure that you know what you are doing before you do it and never put yourself in danger when doing it.
Oh, and by the way, No PUN intended and none taken and thanks for your input.