View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My advice.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:05 pm 
born to perform.

This is a list of things you must be able to do or should do before actually performing a paid kid show.

Most of you guys won't read this because well, you hate to read. But what are doing right now? :lol:

Also, the following list can be adjusted to fit in with any type of performance. Whether it be close up, to big stage illusions.

1) Research- Research, Research, Research. I can't say this enough. This is one thing that is a must, that is why I put it at the top of the list. Even though this list is not in any particular order. Research things so you know the history of what you are actually performing. Research things such as phsycology so you know how to actually know what people are thinking when you are performing.

2) Think like a lay - If you think like a lay person while coming up with your show and routine your show WILL BE BETTER! Think about it... You see a trick that you want to buy because, well, you don't know how it works and you want to learn it. You watch the demo or the previews and you get fooled. Once you get this trick in and you learn the secret. Do not get disappointed. Think back to when you saw the demo and watched it over and over again and you were still fooled. Well same with the people you will be performing for. Unless you don't master it. When coming up with where you will stand during an act or what to say...think like a Lay. "what would they like to see?" "Am I blocking the view of the trick?" and so on.

3) Scripting and Patter- This is very hard for some people yet as easy as opening a can of soda for other people. Scripting is very cruscial. I know a guy who masters his tricks and can show them to you and fool you with them everytime! Yet he goes off the top of his head with patter and presentation. I was once told by someone, "Yes you can have ad libs, but write you script out". Everyone should get a pen and paper, turn on music or what ever helps you think and come up with some patter and write it down or type it. Also, When I am scripting I think from the end. I think "What do I want to happen?" and "How will I get there?" and "will I be able to do this with what I have?". Once I have thought of patter and I like what I see. Then go out and buy your prop.

4) Buying Props - Before buying props, like I kind of suggested above. Please think to yourself, "When will I use this" and "Where will this go in my routine?".

5) Practicing - A couple of days ago I went to a Michael Ammar lecture and he had a good point. Master one trick at a time before moving on. He gave an example that was hilarious because he acted it out for us. If you are working on cups and balls and you drop a ball off the table and you go to pick it up but when you bend over to pick it up you see a hot rod and you start playing with that. That is not a good rehersal techniqu to pick up. When practicing use a mirror or a video camera. Practice patter so it seems like you are adlibing the WHOLE show! But really you know what you are saying and doing to the WHOLE time! And it is all natural. Practice so much that you could do the show even if a little chihuahua at a birthday party was hooked to your leg and wouildn't let go!

Reviewing - Attend a show of a perfmer in your area. Review it for him and take notes. I have done this countless number of times and trust me. THIS WORKS! You can then compare what you have scripted earlier to his/her show. A lot of times you will think your show still needs work and can be better BUT that is ALWAYS the case. A show can be improved anytime. People always say "No one is perfect" ...This can also be tied in with a show. You also might to start doubting yourself and your show after this has happened. Do not doubt your show. Just think to yourself, "What can I fix?" and "Good thing I have not yet performed this yet"

I may be adding more later but I hope you can learn from what is posted so far!

Thanks
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:24 pm 
born to perform.

great post john! I say this should be stickied because a lot of the 11 and 12 year olds that come on here thinking they can do a show could take this advice. Sticky this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:18 pm 
born to perform.

hey nice script
i just read the whole thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:30 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks guys,

I will be adding more later.

I hope more people stop by and actually read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:33 am 

John, GREAT ADVICE!!!! You know my thing about Enlish usage, so; One thing, proofread the post and make corrections in spelling and terminology.

i.e. "2) Think like a lay..." layperson. And "Attend a show of a perfmer ..." performer

Other than the typos it is fantastic.
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:32 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks,

Yea I noticed a little grammer errors. But atleast the message is up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:47 pm 
born to perform.

I agree with everything that you ahve said. I do have one thing to add.

I will give a personal example - I got a change bag. I go to a show and watch the performer like you suggested. The problem is that if i see them do a change bag routine, then the routine get stuck in my head. I tend to memorize it without trying and then when i get to write down my script I realize that my routine is the same as the performer who i origianlly watched.

my tip is to do the research first. Then right a script and then watch a professionaly performer. Then revise the script. I made the mistake of watching a show before I even had any ideas on what i was going to do.

Ben Winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:54 pm 
Emperor Penguin

This is great advice, John! I agree with you 100%!

Keep up the great work, and best of luck to you with your future shows!
-Vinnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:39 pm 
born to perform.

Some mod please stick this because this really will help new people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:19 pm 
Team Penguin

Howdy Johnny!

Very few things do I read in the kidshow field and fully agree with...but this I do. I have been away from the boards for a while, but now I am back. And I was made quite happy upon reading your post :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:46 pm 
born to perform.

Glad to hear from you and I am glad you liked it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:35 pm 
born to perform.

darn KyletheGreat. haven't heard from you in forever. glad to see you back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:14 pm 
Penguin

Yeah this is great advise for those people who want to start out.

The only thing I have to say to these kids is do not come onto this forum and ask if your are ready. If you are asking if you are ready then your are not ready. This goes the same for age if you are not old enough to drive to your own show then you are too young to perform for kids shows.
And if you are younger but you do think you are ready don't bother posting anything about it because you know what we are going to say.

-Adam Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:18 am 
born to perform.

cakkid wrote:
Yeah this is great advise for those people who want to start out.

The only thing I have to say to these kids is do not come onto this forum and ask if your are ready. If you are asking if you are ready then your are not ready. This goes the same for age if you are not old enough to drive to your own show then you are too young to perform for kids shows.
And if you are younger but you do think you are ready don't bother posting anything about it because you know what we are going to say.

-Adam Michael

Yes, I totally agree.

But thats not one of the steps to doing shows. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:29 am 
Emperor Penguin

Great job, John. This got stuck!