View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Free Magic Shows
Poll ended at Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:21 pm
Yes 59%  59%  [ 20 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:00 am 
Penguin

Quote:
I will repeat what I said for the benefit of the reading impaired. I.e. "You don't find any other profession, doctor, lawyer, executive, whatever, that does free work to get more work. If we do it, we are being idiots."
Lawyers do pro bono work, they also set up free consultations, I've personally been given three free hours by a tax attorney for no other reason than I'll think of him if I ever (knock on wood) need him again. There are two lawyers in my city who give free seminars on civil rights to anybody who wants them. These seminars inform people of their rights when they get pulled over or if the police knock on their door. They give this free seminar and QnA so those attending will (and here's where I hit you with the shovel) walk away with their business card. That's giving away a free show in order to get more business in the future.

I could go on and explain to you how doctors give free shows, executives give free trips to resorts, lobbyist in Washington DC give away entire vacations; but I'm not sure how many shovel hits you can take before you become reading impaired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:23 pm 
Penguin

Funny how quick a thread can die when a few people disagree with a member of the holy "Penguin Kid's Show" trinity, and those few people actually make sense!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:30 pm 

It didn't die, we are just letting you and "the boz," who seem to know so much more than we do take over. Sluggo, Kyle, and I have only been performing for several years each, so we don't know anything. Experience is no good to learn from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:20 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
It didn't die, we are just letting you and "the boz," who seem to know so much more than we do take over. Sluggo, Kyle, and I have only been performing for several years each, so we don't know anything. Experience is no good to learn from.

Surprise, MORE SARCASM!!!!!

Where do you come up with this stuff? I am still very new to magic. I would not claim to know more about magic than a veteran in the field. Thus, I am here to learn from the veterans. I only question your attitude and hatefulness.

You said "Experience is no good to learn from". Well, I disagree! My experiences on this forum have taught me much. Such as:

1. You are a MEAN, SARCASTIC, HATEFUL, INSULTING, PRIDEFUL, AROGANT person.

2. You have somehow won the hearts of the few people here whose oppinions I value.

3. You think that gives you the right to be a total A$$ to anyone you please.

4. Everytime anyone questions you, you throw out a bunch of insults, and then disappear for a few days to hide like a little WUSS!

I will never understand why some of these wonderful people here continue to defend your "uncalled for" actions. I have seen several people respond to a stupid "easy way out" post with a stern answer, which I understand is needed. But, you are the only one that is constantly a flat out JERK.

I hope to see you in the real world sometime. I have my shovel ready!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:58 am 
Penguin

chosengeneration,
My own opinion but don't let any thing in life get you so mad that you want to extract physical harm to them or it. Especially forum postings on the internet.
Not a healthy way to live.

Now as for the orginal post.
I think that free shows are a great way to get your name out there and to get your performance skills up.
But you have to be wise about how you do it.
I personaly do 2 free shows a year. One is for advertisment. I donate a show to a local charity event and ask only that my name be advertised and a letter of referance. The other free show I do are personal shows for family and friends when changes are made to my show and for video taping purposes to view later for personal education. Ushally around 15-20 kids at the show and I see whats really working and if any of the new material needs to be changed or just cut out.

So, I agree that free shows are a good way to get advertisment and performace skills but be careful. Make sure your show is still well thought out and planned. Then shop your self around, every one loves free stuff
:-)

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:47 am 
Penguin

It should be interesting to note that David Blaine said himself in a current issue of a leading magic magazine that we, professionals or not, should goout and do 'free' charity shows at our local children's hospital. He is currently on a semi-tour to children's hospitals entertaing the kids with magic. So, we have one of the biggest professionals in our magic industry telling us to give some free shows.

That said, Mr. Blaine's not telling us to do free shows everywhere, but some 'charity' type stuff where we can really help make lives brighter where this could only (probably) be accomplished by some donated time on the magicians part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:00 pm 
Penguin

I try every year to donate my time to childrens hospitals but did not include that in my "free" shows and I feel that is something that nearly every magician should do.
Its a wonderful thing to do and should not be done for any type of personal gain.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:00 pm 
Penguin

space_ghost15 wrote:
chosengeneration,
My own opinion but don't let any thing in life get you so mad that you want to extract physical harm to them or it. Especially forum postings on the internet.

Cheers,
Adam

MY own opinion:

Don't be a butt hole to innocent people! And, if you're gonna bring up hitting someone with a shovel, be willing to take some hits yourself.

I'm just an old Texas Redneck, but around here, we don't treat people like that. And we are PHYSICALLY prepared to stand behind our words and actions. Healthy or not, it's OUR WAY TO LIVE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:47 pm 
Team Penguin

chosengeneration wrote:
Funny how quick a thread can die when a few people disagree with a member of the holy "Penguin Kid's Show" trinity, and those few people actually make sense!

Hehehe...the Holy Penguin Kid's SHow Trinity...It has got a ring to it...I LIKE IT!!!

Paddy is great with sarcasm...as a matter of fact, he works with sarcasm like Van Gogh worked with paints and canvas...Paddy could be a GREAT satirist if he wanted to. Sarcasm is meant to prove a point by saying the opposite...if it pisses you off, then it has taken the point to the next level. You became angry and engaged in a personal attack called "Name Calling" which is a common psychological defense mechanism triggered by a slight teeny tiny doubt in your mind about the subject being discussed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:18 pm 
Penguin

KyletheGreat wrote:
chosengeneration wrote:

Hehehe...the Holy Penguin Kid's SHow Trinity...It has got a ring to it...I LIKE IT!!!

Paddy is great with sarcasm...as a matter of fact, he works with sarcasm like Van Gogh worked with paints and canvas...Paddy could be a GREAT satirist if he wanted to. Sarcasm is meant to prove a point by saying the opposite...if it pisses you off, then it has taken the point to the next level. You became angry and engaged in a personal attack called "Name Calling" which is a common psychological defense mechanism triggered by a slight teeny tiny doubt in your mind about the subject being discussed.

Kyle,
I'm glad you like the "holy trinity" thing. I thought it was pretty funny myself.

As far as the rest of your post, I disagree with the main idea of what you are saying. BUT, I appreciate the courteous, professional manner in which you replied. If everyone here used the same courtesy, my complaint would be void.

I just don't understand why some people have to be so mean and insulting ALL THE TIME.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:20 am 
Penguin

chosengeneration wrote:
space_ghost15 wrote:
chosengeneration,

Cheers,
Adam

MY own opinion:

Don't be a butt hole to innocent people! And, if you're gonna bring up hitting someone with a shovel, be willing to take some hits yourself.

I'm just an old Texas Redneck, but around here, we don't treat people like that. And we are PHYSICALLY prepared to stand behind our words and actions. Healthy or not, it's OUR WAY TO LIVE!

I have never said a bad word to you Choosengeneration. I was just giving some advice you can take it or leave it but like you said your self you don't have to be rude or insulting.
The much longer part of my post was on topic and very close to agreeing with you.
In short a free show is a great way to get to perform and work out your act, get letters of reference as long as its don’t correctly.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:09 pm 
Penguin

space_ghost15 wrote:
chosengeneration wrote:
space_ghost15 wrote:
chosengeneration,

Cheers,
Adam

MY own opinion:

I have never said a bad word to you Choosengeneration. I was just giving some advice you can take it or leave it but like you said your self you don't have to be rude or insulting.
The much longer part of my post was on topic and very close to agreeing with you.
In short a free show is a great way to get to perform and work out your act, get letters of reference as long as its don’t correctly.

Cheers,
Adam

Adam,

I know you have never said anything bad to me. And I am sorry that my wording made that last post sound as if I was referring to you with the "butt hole" thing. I wasn't. I was talking about someone else.

You seem to be a great person. I am just angered by another poster here who is always hateful to everyone. I don't understand why anyone would want to be that way. BUT, I most certainly was not talking about you.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:23 pm 

Mike, I am NOT hateful to everybody. I do come down HARD on those that think they know what they are talking about but don't. I also tell the truth to kids who buy 2 gimmicks and think they can be birthday party magicians.

Sorry if the real world offends you, but somebody has to tell you what it is really like out and away from your mommy and daddy. Someday when you have kids of your own you will find out about the words tough love. That's what I do. I can not stand the idea of somebody who goes out and buys a magic set, calls himself a magician, and then screws up some kids birthday party. If you don't think that happens go to your ring meeting and talk to some of us that have been in the business for years. We will tell you what parents have told us about the "magicians" they hired. I even know of one guy who did Matt King's card to fly in a party of 7 yr old girls.

Yes I am harsh but I am fair and never hateful. Now let's drop this crap and get on with the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:38 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
Mike, I am NOT hateful to everybody. I do come down HARD on those that think they know what they are talking about but don't. I also tell the truth to kids who buy 2 gimmicks and think they can be birthday party magicians.

Sorry if the real world offends you, but somebody has to tell you what it is really like out and away from your mommy and daddy. Someday when you have kids of your own you will find out about the words tough love. That's what I do. I can not stand the idea of somebody who goes out and buys a magic set, calls himself a magician, and then screws up some kids birthday party. If you don't think that happens go to your ring meeting and talk to some of us that have been in the business for years. We will tell you what parents have told us about the "magicians" they hired. I even know of one guy who did Matt King's card to fly in a party of 7 yr old girls.

Yes I am harsh but I am fair and never hateful. Now let's drop this crap and get on with the subject.

Paddy,

See. What you have done is develope a very false image of who I am, and prejudged me.

I already have children. I am an active member of my local ring. I actually have to travel 1 hour and 15 minutes to each meeting due to the rural area.

You guys keep defending your attitude by talking about young kids who buy a trick or two and want someone to give them a routine or want to start doing parties immediately. I understand being firm in that situation. BUT, this thread is not that situation.

That is my whole reason for bringing this up here. The original poster was asking for a pole about doing free shows. No kids "pretending to be magicians"(your words) or asking for a free routine. Yet you immediately started insulting and throwing around words like "idiot" and so on.

I have already, in a previous post, listed several of your hateful comments on this thread that has nothing to do with what you are trying to use as an excuse for rude behavior.

Even now, you are saying stuff like "let's drop the crap".

What? Is a discussion "crap" unless YOU are running the topic, or you brought it up? This is very important to me. I can't see the reason for always being so rude.

How about this :

I'll "drop the crap" whan you drop the crappy attitude!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:38 pm 
Penguin

oops, double post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next