View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:52 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Hmmm.....nope. Guess that's not where I was......Not unless there's a street in Old Sac that looks like that one.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:31 pm 
born to perform.

My daughter wears a black suit with a sleevless blue glitter mock turtle neck shirt, or a red satin shirt. Her mentor advised her to always look the professional, whether it is a stage show or birthday party.

If doing a stage show and needing to be there early --- she will wear black jeans and a custom t-shirt that reads "edited out".com for advertising while setting up the show and running around, but once on stage and afterwards when meeting with the audience, she will be in that suit.

My daughter's mentor set her rates for her first show and she has stuck with his advice since. She is paid a very decent youth performer rate and the rate she charges is billed according to the amount of time she spends at an event -- this does not include tips.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:22 pm 
born to perform.

Kristen,
You may have posted this already but how old is your daughter? It would be a good idea to post how she got started and what she did to prepare herself to perform. If she is a teen it would show a lot of these teens how you should prepare yourself as some just jumps into it with the belief that their great magic skills will get them by.
It's a topic that is constantly being brought up and hearing it from another teen who did it right would be helpful to them.
Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:59 pm 
born to perform.

Sluggo,

My daughter is 13 and got started where I believe every serious-minded youth magician should IF they have the opportunity -- the SAM or IBM. She has belonged to the SYM for 2 full years and is just beginning her 3rd year. She also attends the SAM meetings. This is not something she "plays" at, but works very hard at. She has set goals for herself. One of her goals is to support her way through college by magic. College has been a focus of hers since she was in 3rd grade, I know I am a proud mom, but she amazes me!

Everything she does, she puts her heart into. Magic included. She volunteers locally for our recreation district as a camp counselor. She works every summer, school breaks, and when able in an afterschool program mentoring younger children. For the recreation district she began giving "free" performances for the summer camps to gain experience, plus they are like family to her and there was no way she could ever bring herself to charge them. But, one good turn always deserves another. When the district was planning a Grand Re-Opening for a local favorite park, she was their first thought for a performer. Now, despite everything and her closeness with them, they would not have hired her for a "city" event if they were not impressed with her presentation at the summer camps.

But, you asked how she got started? As stated, she went to her local SYM meetings faithfully. Her very first meeting she got up and made herself perform. She also started attending the SAM meetings with us. She became friends not only with her own SYM mentor, but other professional magicians from our SAM assembly. People can see earnest interest and many of our assembly members took her under their wing offering her advice, lending her out-of-print books, supporting her by encouraging her and letting her know they believe in her.

Her first job came when a neighboring City called her SYM mentor looking for a youth performer for a city event. He recommended our daughter for the job. You will never know the excitement she felt when she found out her mentor recommended her for the job. She worked so hard preparing for that show because she did not want to let him down and wanted him to know that his faith in her was well placed. Several of our magician friends came out and watched her that day. It meant the world to her.

After that she began giving the "free" performances for our own recreation district to continue gaining experience.

Since then she has been asked back by our neighboring City to do different projects they were affiliated with-- fundraisers, public events, etc. She also performed with the Society of American Magicians at their annual show and will be performing with them again this year.

She was asked time and again to do birthday parties but she always very pleasantly declined. At that point she only had a stage show routine and would not compromise the reputation she was building. She has just now started opening up her booking calendar for bithday parties. It is a 100% original patter routine that we developed together.

If for any reason she cannot practice because her school load is too great, she closes her calendar and explains that her academic commitments are too great to accept bookings at that time. She practices daily, but if she has a booking, she increases her routine practice to 2 hours nightly. She has never had anyone complain or not understand her polite refusal. In fact, they have stated the opposite that they respect her dedication to wanting to put on a quality show.

All of her jobs are either by referral or recommendation.

Outside of performing, she attends every meeting possible. We go to as many shows as our budget allows to see professional magicians perform. She also LOVES attending lectures! More than just watching magicians perform she loves meeting them, chatting with them, and gleeming any advice they will offer. She has had the pleasure of meeting Gregory Wilson who was so awesome with her (and should you ever read this Mr. Wilson -- this is "dimples" we're talking about here), Dana Daniels (who first sparked her interest in magic), Daryl, Bob Sheets, Gerry Griffin of course, Jeff Ezell, Mark Mason, John Carney, Jay Alexander, and I cannot even begin to name all of the wonderful local magicians that inspire her on a regular basis!

Her next endeavor is to begin learning a close-up routine. She has always concentrated on her stage magic and then later her birthday routine. Her dad is in the process of making her a dollhouse, which she is hoping to unavail this year as part of her newest stage performance!

On the business side of things, that is another matter entirely. I am trying to teach her that side of things as well. Again, she is a very mature young lady. We have tried to teach her the proper way to conduct herself when meeting clients, how to do the pre-show correspondence, the after-show correspondence, etc. She has a great website. I would share the domain, but since she is a minor I keep it limited to prospective clients. The downside of performing is that it can sometimes lead to some "unwanted" attention in a negative way for a cute 13 year old girl -- so my best advice on that subject is to be wary of the information you put out there!

If anyone has any specific questions I can answer, I would be happy to help. Again, I believe in supporting today's youth-- they are tomorrow's future -- so let's help them grow in a positive way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:32 am 
Penguin

kristenl,
Sounds wonderful. Also sounds like your the classic case of stage mom.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:01 am 
born to perform.

SpaceGhost,

I am not sure if that is a good thing or not? LOL

Long ago I cut back my work hours (self-employed) so that as far as my daughter is concerned I am a stay at home mom. I am available to my daughter 24/7 and nothing is more important to me than family

What I can tell you is that I am the type of mom that supports my daughter 100% in ANYTHING she WANTS to do. However, her choices are always hers. If she said tomorrow she never wanted to look at magic again, I'd be fine with it as long as she fulfilled any commitments she had already made. My daughter, hubby, and me are really close and amazingly enough -- my teenage daughter actually LIKES me. How did I get so lucky?

I am very involved with kids and volunteering. I think in today's world so many kids get lost. And those that know me, know that I think every child deserves the best, happiest, and supportive childhood we have to offer. Why not let a kid be a kid and pursue their dreams? If my hubby and I can help our daughter succeed in magic, because its what she wants, then I will be a stage mom and do whatever I can for her. If she wanted to run around and play soccer, I'd be a soccer mom.

In the summer and on school breaks you will find me at volunteering in the community and helping our local kids make the best of their summers and school breaks. I will spend hours building stage sets for their skits, playing on the jungle gym with a child who is still too shy to interact with the other kids so I act as an intermediary, making crafts with them, sing silly songs, or making specials plans for the kids with the other counselors.

Basically, its just about being a mom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:14 am 
Penguin

kristenl,
Hey sounds wonderful.
Most parents I have met whom has a child that performs magic is over bearing ala the mom's a beauty contests.

It's wonderful to see parents and their kids have close relationship but I'm always very nervous when parents are THAT involved in their child’s life. Almost the suffocation facture and the kids freak out and revolt against it when they hit college years. Seen that one all to often.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:02 am 
born to perform.

I completely understand what you are saying. Are you a parent as well? We are getting “off topicâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:18 pm 
Penguin

Not a parent but from a magic stand point I have seen alot of children, even in our local SYM, pushed to far by the parents.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:46 pm 
born to perform.

I'm really glad to hear you are involved in the SYM. It is a great program and I think its wonderful that you participate. Kids need the guidance. I think it is so important to keep kids involved in SOMETHING. It helps them to stay focused and out of trouble.

My daughter tried every school sport in her younger years and hated it. She eventually started dance classes and had/has fun with it. Magic was the first thing that really struck a cord in her as something she really wanted to pursue.

Her first love is literature and writing. She is an excellent writer and wants to become a novelist. She has had that in her mind since 3rd grade. As I said before, she is a very determined young lady. She is also realistic enough to know that it won't pay the bills unless she is very lucky, and even then it is a struggle, so she wants to also pursue graphic arts.

She has talked about college and her dreams with some of our adult magician friends who know how much she loves magic too, and they encourage her to keep pursuing her magic, especially since there are such few females. Their advice? Why work a hard, minimum wage, part-time job when you can do something you love, set your own hours, make decent money, and still have plenty of time to dedicate to college? Hey, as a parent, I'll support that whole-heartedly! Again, the best part is the fact that she will be doing something she enjoys and earning a part-time living at it.

I am curious though about the comments you made about your local SYM. Our meetings are pretty laid back and I've never seen any of the parents get pushy with their kids. Now I have seen kids who are extremely dedicated, and their parents support them but never in a negative way. What have you experienced?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:40 pm 
born to perform.

i agree with whoever said where a colored tux.
I have a custom tailored red tux tail jacket and i wear it with black tux pants and a bliack vest. its awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:41 pm 
born to perform.

y do you have to post soooo much, if i want to read ill get a HP book!!!

JK
kristnl,
I am turning 12 in june, and am trying hard to start doing kids/stage/parlor shows. I hope to be very much like your daughter, she seems to have a lot of experience. I hope i can become as successful as she.

~Zach

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:48 pm 
born to perform.

If you are going to wear a tux for a kids show a black one isn't the best choice. If you've ever seen Kyle's site you will see him in a blue/yellow/red suit.
Colorful is more fun for them. A black suit is something they may see at a wedding or funeral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:24 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I have to agree with Zach here, Kristen. You write as if you cared about your art......... :P

Anyway, I enjoy reading your novels, they are full of great advice and I have gone, DUH, a few times after reading them. It is nice to see someone here who actually takes the time to spell check and write in complete, legible, sentences.

As for what I wear to kids shows, I wear my birthday suit. :?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:59 pm 
born to perform.

magikrn wrote:
I have to agree with Zach here, Kristen. You write as if you cared about your art......... :P

Anyway, I enjoy reading your novels, they are full of great advice and I have gone, DUH, a few times after reading them. It is nice to see someone here who actually takes the time to spell check and write in complete, legible, sentences.

As for what I wear to kids shows, I wear my birthday suit. :?

OOOHH!! I never thought of that :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next