View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:22 am 
Penguin

I don't want to come off sounding harsh. I have a tip for you, use spell check and proof read your material. If you are coming on here and your writing and grammar are this poor then I can only assume that any material you send out will be this poor as well. Get in the habit of doing it now so when you get to the point that you send out emails to clients or even print material it will be second nature.

On the forum people will be more willing to help you if the time is taken.

all the best and have a happy easter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:12 pm 
born to perform.

Get hippity hop rabbits, mouth coils, magic coloring book, and haunted hands kids love when I perform these!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:38 pm 
born to perform.

right, your doing kids shows in your school.

Either, you are way to young to do shows are are in junior school, or these kids are not kids, ie, 11+.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:28 pm 
born to perform.

If you want free practice, volunteer to do kid shows at your local daycares. There's probably a dozen daycares in a few mile radius, and they'll jump on the chance at a free show since most events cost them money.

Also volunteer at your local hospital for the children's wing.

Also go here:

http://www.volunteermatch.org

Tons of things in there, use your imagination.

Goto your local church - they have after-service kids groups. Do a show for them. There's probably dozens of churches in a few mile radius.

So from the above suggestions, you can probably do 50+ shows in the next month easy for practice. And I wouldn't do a "coin routine" for a stage kid's show if you paid me. Sorry, just my opinion.

Lastly, FILM YOURSELF and post it here. You've got hundreds of years of magic experience on this board, and others. We'll tell you exactly what sucks, what doesn't and what you need to improve on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:27 pm 

braady wrote:
benlewis2004 wrote:
what books/dvds have you read/watched on yhis subject?

Did you know that kids shows need alot more than tricks.

Yes I know that ill need to more than gest tricks ( i think you mean patter, right).and I dident know ther was anything on kids shows.

Brady, Don't even THINK of doing shows until you have done some research on kid's shows. Use Google, better yet use your library, look for David Ginn, Sammy Patrick Smith, Marcela (Mama Clown) Murad and people like that. Go to your local Ring or Assembly meetings and talk to the magicians there. (Ring = International Brotherhood of Magicians; Assembly = Society of American Magicians. Google to find out where the local group meets. {you have to do some of the work that's why I am not giving the sites.})

There is a HUGE amount of material for you to study but you have to interested enough to look for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:44 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
braady wrote:
benlewis2004 wrote:
what books/dvds have you read/watched on yhis subject?

Did you know that kids shows need alot more than tricks.

Yes I know that ill need to more than gest tricks ( i think you mean patter, right).and I dident know ther was anything on kids shows.

Brady, Don't even THINK of doing shows until you have done some research on kid's shows. Use Google, better yet use your library, look for David Ginn, Sammy Patrick Smith, Marcela (Mama Clown) Murad and people like that. Go to your local Ring or Assembly meetings and talk to the magicians there. (Ring = International Brotherhood of Magicians; Assembly = Society of American Magicians. Google to find out where the local group meets. {you have to do some of the work that's why I am not giving the sites.})

There is a HUGE amount of material for you to study but you have to interested enough to look for it.

ok thanks for the tips, and I dont think that theres any magic groups in my town. I think I'll go to the library and look at some stuff. And out of the my routine what tricks are good do and what tricks arnt good to do, and what tricks do you recomend.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:06 am 
born to perform.

Forget about what effects you need in a show. You first have to know how to entertain..five year olds 6-7-8- year olds. That's going to be up to you to take the time and study it. You are months away from actually putting a show together. You have to read and watch how and why to do a show. You cannot get the answers you need by coming on here and asking. It will help you ten fold if you read it yourself, it will also help you determine what you need in a show.
The kids can give a crap about what you use it's HOW you use it.

Post subject: Re: '
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:43 am 
Penguin

sluggo wrote:
Forget about what effects you need in a show. You first have to know how to entertain..five year olds 6-7-8- year olds. That's going to be up to you to take the time and study it. You are months away from actually putting a show together. You have to read and watch how and why to do a show. You cannot get the answers you need by coming on here and asking. It will help you ten fold if you read it yourself, it will also help you determine what you need in a show.
The kids can give a crap about what you use it's HOW you use it.

ok, i'll go to the library this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:07 pm 
born to perform.

A book I prefer is called 'The Birthday Party business.' Read it cover to cover it will give you a good start.
Ken Scott has a good DVD on doing a Bd party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:34 pm 
born to perform.

your unlikely to find these in a library, they are going to cost you $40-$50 each. Then the new props you WILL buy. Your going to be spending at least $200-300 before you do a kids show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

Exactly,
You can have a nickel & dime show or a good one. You get out what you put into it. Instead of buying 'tricks' spend the cash wisely on learning material first.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:11 pm 
Penguin

sluggo wrote:
Exactly,
You can have a nickel & dime show or a good one. You get out what you put into it. Instead of buying 'tricks' spend the cash wisely on learning material first.

im buying some jids show stuff this week im gona hove $90 to spend (on e-bay).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:30 pm 

braady wrote:
sluggo wrote:
Exactly,

im buying some jids show stuff this week im gona hove $90 to spend (on e-bay).

Braady, did you read and COMPREHEND (That's a big word for "understand") what Sluggo wrote. He said DON'T BUY TRICKS. You then say "I'm buying some tricks on E-Bay. Spend the $90 on education first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:31 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I think he meant he was buying some learning material when he said "kids show stuff". He'd have to be really stupid to not take your guys' advice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:59 pm 
born to perform.

Braady,
It seems like you want to do this the proper way and that's great, you will be a better kid show performer. Many younger guys starting out thinks that doing shows for kids is a breeze.. quite the contrary.
It can be a disasterous experience but, if you really study up on it and then get the effects that you feel will work then you start putting the show together. The patter with each skit and the performance will get you a lot further than just doing tricks. Kids these days are use to seeing cool things via TV- PC's- DVD's they are in for the fun not some tricks, that isn't what will keep their interest.
It's how fun and interactive it is. Do some homework then come back on here and deluge us with questions and you will find ample help at your side.
Good luck,
Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next