View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:53 am 
Penguin

And thanks for your very nice posts, kristenl.

You say you want to spend the next 4 years with your daughter. Well, why don't you gals work on a show together. Many families do that.

And what you said about giving your daughter advice on if something goes wrong is true. Keep on smiling and perform. If you don't act like anything went wrong, it's possible neither will your audience. That is very true.

Or you could make a joke of it (if your reaction is quick) and people may think it was all just a gag. So, nothing really went wrong.

Well, kristenl, consider performing with your daughter. It may help you overcome any obstacle you have on performing solo as you'll have somebody else up there. And perhaps after she leaves (yeah, I know, sob :cry: , LOL), you will be ready to perform solo. Just a thought to leave you with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:50 am 
born to perform.

Actually, sneak -- I probably will be joining her act in the future as her box jumper. I had the same thought as you. This will stll put the focus on her and allow me to overcome some of my own anxiety issues in front of a crowd.

As stated in another post, my hubby is in the process of building her Dennis Loomis' version of the dollhouse. It is turning into quite a masterpiece (my wallet will attest to that!) as he is hand shingling the roof one tile at a time. He is also putting nice wood trim to mock a tudor style house. LOL -- I keep telling him it is going to be abused with hauling it about, but he can't resist. He is quite the perfectionist and he is enjoying himself so much building this for his "baby" that I gave up long ago. It is quite beautiful tho. Now, we just need to get it finished in time for her to actually perform it this summer!

Thank you for the great suggestions Sneak. I love when people can share their thoughts, ideas, and knowledge with one another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:20 am 
Penguin

kristenl wrote:
Actually, sneak -- I probably will be joining her act in the future as her box jumper. I had the same thought as you. This will stll put the focus on her and allow me to overcome some of my own anxiety issues in front of a crowd.

As stated in another post, my hubby is in the process of building her Dennis Loomis' version of the dollhouse. It is turning into quite a masterpiece (my wallet will attest to that!) as he is hand shingling the roof one tile at a time. He is also putting nice wood trim to mock a tudor style house. LOL -- I keep telling him it is going to be abused with hauling it about, but he can't resist. He is quite the perfectionist and he is enjoying himself so much building this for his "baby" that I gave up long ago. It is quite beautiful tho. Now, we just need to get it finished in time for her to actually perform it this summer!

Thank you for the great suggestions Sneak. I love when people can share their thoughts, ideas, and knowledge with one another.
Wow! You were already one step ahead of me (in reference to performing with your daughter). In that case, good luck! Hope you enjoy it and let me know how it goes, plus let me know on your husbands dollhouse.... errrr, your daughter's dollhouse he's building. LOL.

And yes, it's wonderful to share ideas, etc.... with people. Especially when they're great people like you. I've noticed you're very positive and very helpful, full of info, so the Penguin forums is a better place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:36 pm 
born to perform.

Aw Sneak, you're going to make an old gal blush :oops: with comments like that! LOL

If you are interested in the dollhouse, I can take some pictures and post a link so that you can see it. Structurally it is all finished now. I just have to start on the paint job. :shock: Let's hope my creativity sets in and I don't "ruin" the masterpiece!!

Have a wonderful day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 am 
Penguin

Sure, kristenl. When you have a chance, you can take some photos and post the link. I'm sure you'll do fine on the paint job.

I'm not certain of the routine. Is it a vanishing/appearing type of apparatus? I have seen a house or two in some local shows where the magicians assistant vanishes/appears in it, or even the magician themselves.

And does your daughter perform non-kid shows too? Or plan on it one day? I perform for kids, but also teens and adults. I really enjoy the mentalism side of magic which is aimed primarly for older teens and especially adults.

You have a great day also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:11 pm 
born to perform.

Actually Sneak, performing children's parties is new to her. She has always done a choreographed stage show and that is what she started with. So this has been a transition for her.

She is actually more comfortable on stage in front of hundreds of people than she is in a small intimate venue. It has been an adjustment, but she handles herself well. It is only us as her parents than can see the little tell-tale signs of nerves, eveyone else typically comments on how 'poised' and 'charming' she is.

So besides starting the birthday business, she is also putting together a new stage show for late this summer. She has 2 big stage shows coming up in Aug/Sept, and possibly, another in October.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:15 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
kristenl wrote:
Actually Sneak, performing children's parties is new to her. She has always done a choreographed stage show and that is what she started with. So this has been a transition for her.

She is actually more comfortable on stage in front of hundreds of people than she is in a small intimate venue. It has been an adjustment, but she handles herself well. It is only us as her parents than can see the little tell-tale signs of nerves, eveyone else typically comments on how 'poised' and 'charming' she is.

So besides starting the birthday business, she is also putting together a new stage show for late this summer. She has 2 big stage shows coming up in Aug/Sept, and possibly, another in October.

After reading several of your posts kristenl, I have come to several conclusions that I wish to share with you.

1) You are quite possibly the coolest mom ever.
2) Your daughter is quite possibly the most interesting kid I've heard of.
3) You give fantastic advice without the slightest hint of cynicism. (wish I knew how to do that)

Welcome back to Penguintown and keep up the great posts.

I'll take care of the sarcasm and cynicism :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:17 pm 
born to perform.

LOL, James—I am sure my daughter would debate my “coolnessâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:11 pm 
Penguin

Since the start of this topic I have booked five shows and one in a theater.Im on a magic spree. :P :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:35 am 
Penguin

kristenl wrote:

Well, it seems like she's really devoted to magic as are you. In a like manner, I'm finishing up a few new shows that I hope to start with in the summer.

It's great that she also perofrms outside of just strictly kids, too. The experience is very rewarding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:36 am 
Penguin

braady wrote:
Since the start of this topic I have booked five shows and one in a theater.Im on a magic spree. :P :P :lol:
Congrats. Hope they go well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:41 am 
born to perform.

Wow, that is great Braady! What type of 'shows' are they? Also, what kind of stage show will you be performing? How long are your typical shows? Do you finally decide on your pricing? Would love to hear more of the details. It might help others on the forum as well to hear what you offer.