View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:38 am 
Penguin

fire_n_drummer wrote:
As a new kid show performer, Kyle is 100% right-they're tough. As with Sluggo, I am also a professional firefighter and paramedic and teaching kids about "get low and go" is much easier than keeping them entertained. Buying effects in no way makes you a magician, to be dedicated to the art and disciplined enough to work for your success is the key. Praise to both Sluggo and Kyle on their honesty, success and continued best wishes. Take care Sluggo when the gong sounds.
Buying effects helps you with your magic, so yes, it does help. You can't perform a magic show w/o them. Just to make the show a complete entertaining show, well, that's where the presentation comes in. If you're a magician, not a clown or whatever, effects and presentation go hand-in-hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:18 pm 
Penguin

STOP! no cards nocoins and no FIRE! Youre dealing with kids (monkey see monkey do) And they don't understand cards very well.

Silks
Small animals
toys
food
balloons

that kind of stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:09 pm 

Well, considering that the original post indicated it was an "older kids" party, cards and coins may be appropriate. It really depends on the age. In fact, for older kids, I tend to stay away from the larger props and go with visual, close-up effects. This usually isn't a problem for groups of 10 or 12 kids. In fact, since many of these kids have seen a Blaine or Angel special on TV, they seem to relate much better to this style of magic.

Just my two cents worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:54 pm 
Penguin

It truly depends on what type of show you are doing and what the client expects from you.
If its a party in which you will be doing walk around effects then of course go with cards and coins.
If its a parlor/stage show then cards and coins are out. Now there are exceptions to the rule. Cards Across is a effect that can play for a parlor or stage effect (also some other "closeup" effects can play on stage).

If the client expects you to do a parlor show and your doing pic a card tricks then you have failed. So find out what they expect from you first.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:10 pm 

The unfortunate reality is that most clients don't know what to expect when they hire a magician. For many, this will be the first time they have ever hired a magican (or any other entertainer) for an event like this. Even if you ask the client if he wants a parlor show, he won't know what you're talking about.

So, the client relies on you to advise him as to the most appropriate form of entertainment for the party. It's up to you to find out how old the kids are; how many kids there will be; will there be parents present; where will the party be held; and all those other neat little issues that may affect the type of show that is needed.

Only then can you provide an afternoon/evening of magical entertainment for the party guests. At the end of the day, that's the only real expectation most clients have - they want their guests to have fun and be entertained through magic.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:21 am 
Penguin

Kent,
I agree with you that a client will not know exactly what they want but I guarentee that they have a idea of what they want.
Its very easy to gauge while booking the show the type of show they are looking for.
If some one hires you to do a 45 minute show for 200 people we are talking a PA system and Parlor show. If you show up with a close up mat and some card tricks you need to seriously rethink claiming your a magician.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:16 am 

Adam,

I agree, but it's up to the performer to advise the client on the best show for his/her needs. For instance, the client may think of having a stage show for 200 people, but what if he doesn't have a stage or a sound system? What if it's really a dinner reception with a buffet serving 200 guests? In that case, you may want to suggest table hopping instead.

As magicians, we are familiar with the different styles of performing and what may be appropriate in certain circumstances. But the clients don't tend to know any of this (above and beyond the basics).

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:33 am 
Penguin

Kent,
Agreed. My point was that the by what the client tells you about the gig, the total expected people etc, and the questions you ask you should be able to gauge what show would be best for the situation.
I have had shows and seen shows where table hopping would have been better then a parlor show but the client was adamant on having a particular show. You make the best and get paid, that’s it.
But again, you should be able to direct them to the best show for their venue.
(as a side note, you should have the sound system not the client but I'm sure that’s a mute point, just saying).

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:13 pm 
born to perform.

I would never rely on their sound system, I always take mine. I first ask them what they are wanting at their party. After hearing their expectations I then give my suggestions. I have done a parlor and walk around at the same party.
I want to get their expectations first so I can get as close to making them happy as I can.
Once you get an idea what they want then you can give them your educated ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:52 pm 

Yup. I also bring a sound system to any event where it may be needed. I also bring 4 wireless headset microphones and fresh batteries. The sound system and the headsets are there just in case the one provided by the host is inadequate. This way, I maintain complete control over my show.

The same goes for lighting. If any of the effects in my show require any specialized lighting, backdrops or other special effects, I bring my own (and backups). This way, I know that I will have the proper lighting, backdrops and effects for the show I've planned. It's my show and I control every element of it.

I even go one step further. If the client wants a stage show, but doesn't have a stage - I can even bring my own stage (at an extra cost of course). This way, I can perform a raised show in a large hall without any difficulties. I've actually performed full evening, grand illusion shows in halls using my portable stage and, in each and every case, the audience was completely blown away.

kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:25 pm 
born to perform.

i think that as magicians we need to steal the boy scout motto.....Be Prepared!

This is a bit off topic but i once saw a DJ who had all of his music on a laptop. In case that laptop stopped wroking for some reason (which in this case it did), he had another. And in case that one broke he had yet another one. 3 laptops for one event.

Ben Winter

Post subject: Re: kids show repertoire
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:00 am 
Penguin

Well i've been doing kids shows for 4 years now and I also worked at Midwest Magic for 2 years and all of my shows have been great. I do 20 tricks in my 45 min show and also I do the show in english or spanish depending what they want. So thanks for the criticism, but to be honest it didn't help back then when what I asked for was advice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:22 pm 
Emperor Penguin

palexb17 wrote:
Well i've been doing kids shows for 4 years now and I also worked at Midwest Magic for 2 years and all of my shows have been great. I do 20 tricks in my 45 min show and also I do the show in english or spanish depending what they want. So thanks for the criticism, but to be honest it didn't help back then when what I asked for was advice.

4 Years? Its just about been 3 since you originally posted this topic back in 2007...
And based on your posts and questions, I highly doubt you were performing real shows before then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:28 pm 

palexb17 wrote:

Hmm, you have been doing shows for 4 years and they are still 45 mins long and have 20 tricks in them. Obviously you don't do any repeat shows. Kids attention span is not going to be 45 mins. it's closer to 20 or 30 and kids don't like watching trick monkeys. Drop your show to 30 mins and use 3 to 4 effects and you'll start getting repeat requests. I too doubt that you're performing any real shows now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:12 pm 
Penguin

I dont really want to go into this too much but I must disagree with Paddy on the length of time to perform. My daycare shows are right in line with what Paddy suggested at 30 minutes. My other shows are usually 40-50 minutes in length. To each their own.

Paddy is right with the amount of effects to perform. A good performer could make 20 tricks last for at least 2 hours. A GREAT performer could easily double that time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next