View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to do right before the start of the show.
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:59 pm 
Penguin

What do you do when you still setting up and the kids are already sitting there and you cant have that entrance the way you want it.

What are good ways to start the show so you can get into the effects?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:10 am 
Team Penguin

You can always request that you be alone as you set up...many kidshow performers I know do that...it doesn't bother me that much, I take advantage of the moment when the kids go ahead and sit down before I am through setting up...I momentarily put setup aside and interact with the kids who are sitting down....then go back to setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:14 am 
born to perform.

As Kyle suggested, my daughter prefers to set-up alone and just makes that known prior to arriving that is her protocol. However, it is important that you indicate that BEFORE you get there so they have something planned for the children in a different area from where you are performing.

I am sure that as my daughter gains experience and more confidence it wouldn't really bother her, but at this stage she still likes a few minutes to take that deep breath, focus, and get rid of her jitters before performing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:54 am 
Penguin

Set up time takes me only a few moments, I have music that plays and gives the kids a chance to dance around a bit if they want.
I also stop during the set up to engage the children and let them know that one, I'm in charge and two that we are going to have alot of fun.
I always try to start every show off with authority so the children know your not going to be pushed around.
Teachers will always tell you you can start off a little strict and hard with the children then soften up with them but you can go the other way.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:59 pm 

When I walk in I set up my keyboard stand, put the table top on it, open my case and I'm ready to go. It takes all of 2 minutes maximum. I then start off on a 30 to 45 minute show.

I worked an Easter party at a country club doing balloons and my wife face painting this year. They had another magician there doing a half hour show. I watched them set up and it took them 40 monutes to set up.

That is the difference between having experience as a busker and just doing stage type shows. We set up and tear down really quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:39 pm 
Penguin

Kids Show takes me total 3 minutes to set up if I don't use a Buka Tube Effect.
Parlor shows take a bit longer because I use my own PA system so I have to run the cables, test mic and sound system levels.
Busking takes me a total of, well how ever long it takes me to get a large enough crowd to start. Maybe....3-5 minutes on a good day-good area.
Thats what the tricks are for at the start. To draw more in.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:16 pm 
Penguin

I always request 30 min. befor hand so i can settup and the rest of the time will be me calming my neves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:00 pm 
born to perform.

Braady, I may be wrong as I don't typically know what protocol is, but 30 minutes seems like an awfully long time especially if you are in someone's home.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I am looking at it from a different perspective. As a mom, I wouldn't really appreciate having a stranger in my home for 30 minutes just "setting up" a show and pretty much being unattended. I would feel like I would constantly have to "check up" on the performer and that would take attention away from my guests. Now if the performer arrived early and set up his shown and then mingled with the kids that would be different.

Please don't take this as criticism, as it is not. It is just a little food for thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:05 am 
Penguin

30 min is a little to long.
I show up to a show always 15 minutes before the start. Thats only because I want to meet the parents/coordinator of the event. Intro my self. Give them buisness cards to hand out if they are asked by any attendent. I then set up and talk to the kids a bit, getting them excited about the magic but also understanding I'm in control just like their teacher at school.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:48 am 
Team Penguin

I ALWAYS request 30 minutes...but it usually only takes me about 15...

the reason I request 30 minutes is because you never know what might go wrong during setup...

for large stage shows and other huge gigs I always request 45 minutes for setup...due to the sound system setup and test on top of the show setup...because everyone who uses one knows that the sound system is going to be where your problems will more than likely end up.

better to be safe than sorry you know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:25 am 
Penguin

30 minutes isn't bad as some tricks I have could take a few minutes (at least) to set up. You really want to double check everything at least once. Plus, as mentioned above, you never know what could go wrong.

kristenl, I think that if you are going to take 30 minutes to set up in somebody's home, if you inform them in advance (before being hired) that you need 30 minutes to set up, they now know and if they still choose to hire you, the expectation is that you will need a pre-show 30 mintue set-up. As long as you inform them and they expect it, it shouldn't be any trouble (IMO).