View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Starting to Learn
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:51 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Vice President of the cannot join unless you are Serbian club!
Hi im 12 years old and need a few questions answered.

First off. Whats a good age to start kids shows? I heard that your old enough when you preform good enough but adults might not hire me since im young. Im guessing 14 and up?

Second. The next list is a list of props im going to get to start off with.

Beach Bucket Lota 30.19
Mouth Coil 25 Ft Cresey (rainbow) (RAIN) 8.75
Change Bag Repeat 18.38
Break Away Wand 7.88
18" Silk (Blue) 3.50
18" Silk (Red) 3.50
Chick Pan Uday 17.50

I have an opener, only 1 middle tricks. What else should I add inbetween. And for a closer, im looking for a prop to make something appear for the birthday kid. Im looking into dove pans but I don't want to use fire. Can I do it without fire? Untill i get insurance.

And third. I just need some more gags for my show. Can anyone just help me find some?

No, im not booked for anything and im not going to try and get booked untill im ready.

Thanks for the help.

Gorjan

Last edited by scl95 on Thu May 10, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:53 pm 

Join your local IBM Ring or SAM Assembly. They can answer you much better than those of us who have no idea about how good you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:05 pm 
born to perform.

Paddy is quite right! You can check online at I.B.M. (magician.org) or S.A.M. (magicsam.com) for youth programs in your area. It is truly the best way to get started.

Not only will you learn how to do tricks (and get free tricks each month too!) but you will also learn how to PERFORM, which is a big deal. There is much more to learning on how to become a magician than just simply performing a trick. The other good thing about joining an association is that you will also learn to network with other magicians and this can prove to be invaluable as you learn. Many of the professional magicians are quite happy to mentor the youth and my daughter has great respect and friendships with the gentlemen that encourage and help her on a regular basis. One very strong word of advice, if you are serious and do join a ring or assembly, be mature at the meetings. Show earnest interest so that those running the program realize that you really are serious. If you do, you will find them all the more helpful.

On your list above, I would remove the flash pads. No one your age should be working with them and many insurance companies will not cover you if you do.

As far as an age for performing, that really isn't the issue. My daughter was asked to do her first stage show at the age of 12 when she recommended by her SYM mentor to a neighboring city. The real issue is how ready you are at the time. That is another plus when belonging to a youth group -- you have an advisor to guide you and let you know when you are ready to move on to performing.

I am glad that you are taking this seriously by thinking about insurance and the business side to magic as well.

Good luck and I wish you the best of success!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:09 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for all the help. The nearest IBM is quite a drive away so i might only be able to go once a month (mabye even). I'm thinking of getting the 4 DVD set first to know what to get, and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:24 pm 
born to perform.

Well, our youth program only meets once a month too! For us it means a commute and bridge toll, but it is so worth it for our daughter. Talk to your parents. Let them know it is something you would really like to do and maybe they can work it out for you! :D

What 4 DVD set are you referring to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:42 am 
Penguin

I'd also recommend you perform a few practice shows for family/friends once you feel you got a show going. This way, you'll know whether or not you can actually perform your full show before a live audience (and for a paying customer).

And best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:52 pm 
born to perform.

You mentioned in your original post that you have , or that you plan to use Flash Pads, and that you're 12 years old.

You are too young to be using flash paper . Not to mention that you must be at least 18 years of age to purchase it.

I'm not trying to be mean to you, but you don't need fire. You need to first learn how to entertain, and perform.

You also need to understand that many venues will not allow the use of flash paper in their establishments because of not only the liabilities involved, but also because of the potential dangers as well.

Flash paper can (and is) very dangerous stuff. It is a pyrotechnic, and should be treated with care and respect. I'm sorry , but most 12 year olds don't have the experience or maturity to handle such material. There are reasons why only persons of legal age are permitted to purchase this stuff.

Again. I'm not trying to be mean to you. As a matter of fact, just the opposite. I'd hate to hear that you or someone else got hurt because of misuse of this stuff.

Finally.Kristenl is giving you the best advice when she suggests that you join an official magic club. That really is the best way to learn how to perform and entertain.

Last edited by brisco on Thu May 10, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:10 pm 
born to perform.

Yes, thanks for sharing that Brisco. Thats why i was asking. I'll try and look into the IBM ring and the DVDs (4 discs) are Harlan Kids Show DVD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:20 pm 
Penguin

the Dan Harlan b-day DVD is only one of the four. Personally I wasn’t a fan, some of the routines are good but I didn’t care for the way he handled the kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:24 pm 
born to perform.

Ok then what different would you reccomend? Preferably from here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:59 pm 
Team Penguin

There isn't much out there at all by Dan Harlan that I am a fan of exept for some of his rubber band techniques...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:02 pm 
born to perform.

You can purchase Ken's Scott's Making the Birthday Dough here on Penguin in the Special Order Catalog. I own it and I know a lot of people really admire Ken Scott as a children's performer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:02 pm 
Penguin

It all depends on what your looking for. My favourite DVD from here relating to kid shows is Ken Scott’s Making the Birthday Dough also. It doesn’t talk about the routines. You do get to watch a good show though. After there is a discussion on marketing.

You gain something from each DVD you watch and each book you read. And even each show you do. So there is no way to really state which material is best for someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:08 pm 
Team Penguin

kristenl wrote:
You can purchase Ken's Scott's Making the Birthday Dough here on Penguin in the Special Order Catalog. I own it and I know a lot of people really admire Ken Scott as a children's performer.

I know Ken...he's great! And the video you reccomended is great as well...I got a copy before it was released (he's a member of the Georgia IBM ring...which reminds me that I need to stop in again and see how all the guys are doing)...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:13 pm 
born to perform.

Ok im getting Ken Scotts DVD. Thanks for the help. Im going to start making a routine today. As soon as im done, il post it here (Not the patter just the order and what im doing)