View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:20 pm 
born to perform.

Would love to hear what you put together. Also, I agree with not posting your patter because that is something personal that you want to keep as part of your "original" show. Why let someone rip you off? :lol: Not, that I'm saying anyone here would do that! :wink:

When you develop your patter (or storyline) remember that you are not developing patter for one trick -- you are developing it throughout your routine. Which means you need to tie in one trick to the other so that your show flows smoothly and doesn't appear choppy and haphazard.

Good luck!

PS... If you do want feedback on your patter I am sure any of the older professionals here (or myself, although I am not a professional) would be glad to give you some constructive criticism if you PMed.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited by kristenl on Thu May 10, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:40 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Vice President of the cannot join unless you are Serbian club!
Ok im going to start developing it now. Im thinking of some ways to tie in things ;) Ok see ya for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:31 pm 
born to perform.

Ok ive been at it for about 50 min and ive come up with two pages of Patter. Its hard when you dont know some tricks. the 2 pages are only for the Beach Bucket and Mouth Coil. Its going good so far.

Sorry for the DP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:26 pm 
born to perform.

when i first wrote it my entire show was about 8 pages. I included things like

(audience should laugh here).

I had to include the word "should" because i just started and was unaware if people would actually laugh to what I thought that they would.

Anyway, Writing down the entire script word for word is definitely the best idea. Memorize it, then after a few shows you can start changing it after you have a good view of what is good and what is bad. To do this even more effectively you need to record the shows so that you can watch yourself performing.

Lastly, even today to make sure that i am still on target I keep a cheat sheet on teh back of my box when i am performing. It does not have my lines, but it does have a list of every trick (in order) that i do for the shows.

Ben Winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:26 am 
Penguin

scl95 wrote:
Ok ive been at it for about 50 min and ive come up with two pages of Patter. Its hard when you dont know some tricks. the 2 pages are only for the Beach Bucket and Mouth Coil. Its going good so far.

Sorry for the DP
If you don't know all the tricks you'll be performing, don't rush the patter yet. Yes, write down some ideas, but before you really script your whole show together, make sure you have everything and are ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:31 am 
born to perform.

I know what you mean sneak, but I was just making patter for the 2 sure things im getting. Ok heres the new list:

Beach Bucket Lota - $30.19

Mouth Coil 25 Ft Cresey (rainbow) (RAIN) - $8.75

Change Bag Repeat - 18.38

Break Away Wand - $7.88

Making the Birthday Dough Ken Scott, DVD - $34.95

18 inch Silks - red and blue

Chick Pan Single Load 27

Sneaky Snakey Wand Mike Bent 15

Can anyone suggest me a few more gags to get? And the silks that I get here are too thin and see through. Are the 21st century ones better? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:12 pm 
Penguin

To actually start doing kid shows, it is sort of like the movie industry. It sort of depends on who you know. For instance, my mom was a teacher, and my first kid show was a show for her students when I was off school. After that, some of the kids referred me to their parents, and it just started to spread. Now I am where I am today.

But take the others' advice to help you get ready for when your time comes.

Best of Luck,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:17 pm 
born to perform.

Just a note on change bags -- all are not equal. Get a quality change bag! To me, some look really cheap. We purchased 3 different ones before we found one that we really liked.

The one my daughter absolutely loves is the original style that requires 2 hands, however, it is the most natural looking movement and the quality of the bag we purchased for her is top notch! It set us back around $50, but it is worth it. We wasted more money all together on the other ones.

Make sure you really research them first so that you are happy with what you get!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:23 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for that. Im going to go look at the different Change Bags there are now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:53 pm 
Penguin

scl95 wrote:
I know what you mean sneak, but I was just making patter for the 2 sure things im getting. Ok heres the new list:

Beach Bucket Lota - $30.19

Mouth Coil 25 Ft Cresey (rainbow) (RAIN) - $8.75

Change Bag Repeat - 18.38

Break Away Wand - $7.88

Making the Birthday Dough Ken Scott, DVD - $34.95

18 inch Silks - red and blue

Chick Pan Single Load 27

Sneaky Snakey Wand Mike Bent 15

Can anyone suggest me a few more gags to get? And the silks that I get here are too thin and see through. Are the 21st century ones better? Thanks.
Endless Rose would be a great gag. Has huge potential for a great 'magical' gag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:16 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Just a note on change bags -- all are not equal. Get a quality change bag! To me, some look really cheap. We purchased 3 different ones before we found one that we really liked.

The one my daughter absolutely loves is the original style that requires 2 hands, however, it is the most natural looking movement and the quality of the bag we purchased for her is top notch! It set us back around $50, but it is worth it. We wasted more money all together on the other ones.

Make sure you really research them first so that you are happy with what you get!

IF that is the one that she uses then great, but i guess its personal preference because I am in love with my one-handed repeat change bag.

Scl95, I guess you will have to feel them to know for sure.

Ben Winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:59 pm 
born to perform.

Ben, perhaps the difference for her is that she has incredibly small hands, even for a girl. Her hands are seriously about the size of a 3rd grader's -- not a joke. The handle size of the one-handed bag make it almost impossible for her to properly use the gimmick without it looking unnatural.

With the other one, you absolutely cannot tell there are any moves. She studied Duane Laflins' technique on how to properly use this style change bag and it very natural looking without looking like she is up to anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:26 am 
born to perform.

Guess I'll find out when I buy one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:24 pm 
born to perform.

Gags just come naturally for me. One thing I like to do is cruise party shops or humor stores (like Spencer Gifts) and just look at all the funny stuff they have there. Then I get ideas for magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:41 pm 
Penguin

kraynik,
Funny, I do the same thing.
I often will just browse party and toy stores just looking at things and get ideas for effects or adding to current routines.

Imagination is sparked in many diffrent ways. Whats yours?

Cheers,
Adam