View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Opinions on Our Show!
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:51 pm 
Penguin

Hello all "penguiners"

My name is Tyler, I am 13 and am starting, well actually partially into kids shows! Anyway, I'm not just going to put up a list, but actually my routine in kind of point form...heck if you like use my ideas. Now some of these tricks may not be used for kids...but please consider in mind the storyline.

EDIT: I have gone solo due to my partner's lack of practice, plus I have most of the tricks. I think I can do MUCH better on my own...I have even written up my own routine (which took many hours mind you) that I won't post here. This is because it reveals tricks and moves with such lines as "ditch *insert gimmick/prop here* in prop box" or "steal off TT". But if an experienced magician (paddy, sluggo, kylethegreat..etc.) would like to view it I'd be happy to send it to them through PM or IM. I absoluuuuteeelllly looooove constructive criticism, so shoot at me with all ya got (seriously no sarcasm). Anyway in the meantime feel free to comment on my friend and I's old routine. Compared to mine now IMO I think ours is completely trash.

Rules:

-Please don't interrupt us (me and my friend) while in the middle of a trick
-Any questions will be answered before the show
-"Magic" line made from tape not to pass unless asked.
That's basically it.

Routine: (this basically goes in the line of a story) Just so you know me and my friend are acting as one person...we classify this at the beginning to eliminate confusion.

M = Me
F = Friend

F - Man, I wanted to go out...but I needed some change...I always wondered what a quarter tasted like...YUCK! (Coin Bite...you wouldn't believe it but kids love this!)

M - So, I was on my way to the zoo, and this magician shows up and he wants to show me some neat tricks. The first one was called the 2 card monte. (2 Card Monte...kids freak out on this one for us...they're like " :o HUH?! But...but it was just an ace! MAGIC!)

F - The next trick he showed me was also called the two card monte, but this was different. (Other 2 Card Monte...kids like this one too)

M - Man, I finally got to the zoo! But it was a zoo of sponge animals! You know, like these (pulls out rabbits)...while no one was looking...I snatched some rabbits and searched for someone to perform this on. (Multiplying 3D Rabbits)

F - Wow, that went great, then I saw balloons! I love balloons! So I bought one....but the salesman was very mean...before he sold the balloon to me he cut it...good thing I'm a magician! (Cut+Restored Balloon)

M - After a long day I went home...then my mean ol' brother comes and pulls a prank on me! (Magic Pea Can...haha kids get a good laugh outta this one)

M - After that I was bored, so I felt like playing with my colouring book! You guys like colouring books, don't you? (Usually yes) (Colouring Book + Crayons)

M - My mom comes along and wants me to show her a trick! I showed her a lil' trick I call the sponge balls! (Sponge Balls)

This usually stretches out to 45 minutes - hour MAX...

Extra additions to future shows (note I have these just working out a sensible plot for them)

Appearing Cane and Vanishing Cane
Vanishing Handkerchief
Change Bag (Zipper)
PB & J Illusion
Haunted Hands
Professor's Nightmare Rope Trick
Various silk magic
Sneek-A-Peek (believe me this will kill them)

Last edited by phoenixblue669 on Sun May 20, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:09 am 
Penguin

Hello Tyler,
You've put some thought into what you're doing, so well done. here are some tips and pointers for you;

Quote:
Rules:
-Please don't interrupt us (me and my friend) while in the middle of a trick

A lot of good children's entertainment is based on interaction with the audience. Your goal is to do things that inspire evryone to 'interupt' in a good way for certain situations and control unwanted interuptions.

Quote:
-Any questions will be answered before the show

They won't have any questions before the show. Tell them you'll answer them after the show by the end of the show they will have forgotten about them anyway but it will keep them happy if they try and ask one duriing.

Quote:
Routine: (this basically goes in the line of a story) Just so you know me and my friend are acting as one person...we classify this at the beginning to eliminate confusion.

This is a very odd idea. Even if you classify it at the start it will still be copnfusing and pretending you're the same person adds no value (as far as I can see) to your show.
The beauty of working with a friend is you have a "double act". Being in a double act can work brilliantly because you assign yourselves different characters and react to each other and create tensions on stage. The classic double act scenario is to have a straightman and a funny man. The straightman could be a serious magician trying to show the audience tricks while the funny man keeps interupting, wrecking the tricks, and generally being amusing. The audience tends to be on the funny man's side and will go aaah when the magician tells him off.

It's good you've tried to theme your act. But saying here's a trick I was shown on the way to the zoo is a little weak and is shoehorning the effect into the story. Try to make up a story about gpoing to the zoo that would be interesting without the magic then add the magic.

Kids may be impressed by the coin bite but it's far to easy for them to try and emulate. So unless you want to leave the party with half the kids held up by their ankle being shaken for quarters I wouldn't do it. There is a version of coin bite you can get with cookies.

Mean old brother: this is where having a double act would be great, the funny guy get's bored and trys to show the magician a trick. he get's it wrong (not the pea), magician acts snooty, funny man pours pee on hand.

You probably won't read any of that since your 13 and know everything and I'm an old full-timer who ain't with it but if you do it should help you a fair bit.

Best of luck,
George

Last edited by majikgeorge on Mon May 21, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:57 am 
Penguin

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to definately try them out next time...that double act sounds great...haha don't worry I'm not like most 13 yr olds and think I know it all...I'll gladly take ideas from other people. Off to the drawing board!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:57 am 
Penguin

Anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:03 pm 
born to perform.

and im not like most 18 year olds, because i really do know it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:46 pm 
born to perform.

If I may ask, what age group are you performing for? Most of your magic seems like closeup magic and kids often need big visual magic to hold their attention in a party atmosphere.

In actual performance, this show really stretches to 45 minutes? How much audience interaction is there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:25 am 

Kristen is right. This is for kids shows and in 45 minutes you WILL lose their attention. Once you've lost one kid and he gets bored, you have one PROBLEM, size HUGE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:21 pm 
Penguin

kristenl wrote:
If I may ask, what age group are you performing for? Most of your magic seems like closeup magic and kids often need big visual magic to hold their attention in a party atmosphere.

In actual performance, this show really stretches to 45 minutes? How much audience interaction is there?

Well me and my friend WERE performing for around 7 year old. Yes, after reading the Kids Shows forum many times I realized that I can't really entertain them...in our past shows attention was iffy at times. Yes, our show does stretch to 45 minutes...and only God knows how. And there was a fair amount of audience participation. Like I said, off to the drawing board :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:23 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
Kristen is right. This is for kids shows and in 45 minutes you WILL lose their attention. Once you've lost one kid and he gets bored, you have one PROBLEM, size HUGE.

Yea, thanks for the big help guys...our past shows have lost their attention but we made some miraculous recoveries, those are "no-nos" now. I have shaped up MY routine now and looks okay from my point of view at the moment. Now all I need to do is practice til' my fingers bleed, then some more! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:34 pm 
born to perform.

Don't get discouraged! It is all a learning process and trust me, my daughter and I have scrubbed many a routine that we found just didn't work properly. You don't need an audience to know if you are on the right track. Write a routine, do your rehearsals, and see if it feels right. Do the tricks segway nicely, is there a good flow, is your patter entertaining? If you are honest with yourself you will know!

It took us weeks to write my daughter's current routine and we still had to tweak it and change a few things before she ever performed it before a live audience. And you will find that even as you do perform it that there are things you may want to change along the way.

Good luck and keep working at it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:39 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the support, I'll rehearse my routine when my broken collarbone heals up well enough. :P But luckily I can stil ltype with one hand. And maybe practice some tricks also.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:28 pm 
born to perform.

Phoenix,
You get out of it what you put into it. Get your hands on as much kid show material as you can it will make your transition a lot easier. Trust me it's more complex than most people think but you seem dedicated to do it. Once you get the hang of it and see the results it comes easier to do.
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:07 am 
Penguin

phoenixblue669 wrote:
Thanks for the support, I'll rehearse my routine when my broken collarbone heals up well enough. :P But luckily I can stil ltype with one hand. And maybe practice some tricks also.
And take a few free shows for family and friends, if possible, to make sure it all comes together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:54 pm 
Penguin

I'll keep that in mind ;)...anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:08 pm 
Penguin

Location: Well I was thinking about it but, I like your moms house
paddy wrote:
\

Yes you will lose thier attention unless you interact with them,make them luagh and an trick you can use them in do it. Do you have any doves rabbits get a trick with them. Kids react great and after the show you can just let them pet the dove or whatever. Always smile and You presentation it was is the key to succes if I was a kid and you just did tricks one after another and really didnt talk I would fall asleep

If you can go and buy some tricks that kids react great with whenever they are performed
1. Deja Zoo
2. Square Circle (espially if you use some glitter)
3.Vanishing ketchup bottle
And well ya i hope I helped you out!!!!!!!!!!