View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: oh oh.....unexpected kid show at a school
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:29 am 
Penguin

Ok, my aunt knows that i know how to do some magic, and my cousins birthday party will be at his school (this is common in my country) and she wants me to preform there, my cousin is about 5 years old.....so what type of tricks should i buy? i got about 1 and a half months to prepare my self.

ps: i have never done a show for anyone before! only at my school where i get few ppl to gather around me and watch me preform....but nothing eles besides that :shock:

tricks i know:

"spun"

stab a dollar bill with a pen and it comes out ok.

i can make small items disappear

"cosmos"

make a ball go through a soda bottle

make 3 coins appear out of nowhere

make a rope go through my body

i got a magic coloring book that when i flip through it, there is nothing there, then i do it again and there are drawings, and then again and the drawings have color in them.

.....that is all i can think of right now.....so what do u guys thinks? what do you recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:35 am 
born to perform.

I can recommend declining the show. You need to have a show before you accept gig offers. There is not much taht you can do in a month and a half, so if you still insist on doing this show then read through this Kid Show forum. THere is tons of great advice out there so start reading.

I HIGHLY suggest NOT doing the show though. If you do not do well (which nobody ever does the first show) then you are going to hurt the Birthday Boy's feelings. It would suck to have a bad magician (which you will be unless you do your research ahead of time) on your birthday if you were 5.

Ben WInter
ps. Just wondering what country is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:38 am 
Penguin

Well, here's my ideas...if you have the cash.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Illusion
Sponge Balls
Vanishing Crayons (not available here on penguin, google it to go with magic colouring book)
Magic Colouring Book
Appearing and MAYBE Vanishing Cane for gags
Change Bag
Vanishing Hanky
And you can't forget that silk magic

Don't use stealth pen, coin, or any card magic unless it's jumbo like Bigger Finish by Jay Sankey, big and colourful always grabs em. Also consider purchasing Balloon School and learn to baloon sculpt if you're thinking of future kids shows. Then you got a great start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:18 pm 
born to perform.

Tell her you cant take the gig.First off it's very difficult for 5 year olds to comprehend anything.Secong off you dont have enough material.Finally,you are not ready to do this gig.I would reccomend saving up for some kid show material,prepare a show,and then look for a gig.If you were to perform for another age group I would probably say different,but from my experience 5 is a very hard age group to work with if you dont have the experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:00 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Just because you can do a couple of magic tricks, does not mean you can do a show. If you do do this show, you will most likely ruin the kids birthday, and ruin any chance another magician may have to be hired by those families.

So just tell your aunt that you can't do it. She should understand, and maybe she can find someone who can.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:20 pm 
born to perform.

Knowing some magic tricks doesn't make you a kid show performer. Even if you bought all the tricks in the world..you still wouldn't be a kid show performer. Magic has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:38 pm 
born to perform.

No one here is trying to hurt your feelings, they are just trying to be truthful. Five year olds are very difficult to perform for and if and when you do you need to have some experience behind you.

My daughter did 2 birthday parties this weekend. The first show yesterday was for 7-10 year old kids. There were approximately 20 kids there. It was easy. She maintained control of the room, they followed her instructions precisely -- they repeated the "magic words" as if on cue and interacted with her automatically.

Today she did a party for about 7 children all 5 and under. That is a more difficult situation. She had to not only perform, but also direct the kids to a certain extent. The kids still had a great time and interacted, but she had to help them along by instructing them to say their magic words. The only reason it worked with this age group --- is because she does "story-telling magic" and 5 year olds love storytelling with the benefit of magic.

Doing a birthday party is more about entertaining than it is magic. You have to engage the children. The tricks you are listing will not hold a 5 year old's attention. Again, this is not meant unkindly.

Please re-think the gig. My daughter has been studying magic for a couple of years now and has been performing stage magic for the past year, but only recently began doing birthday parties because that is a whole different situation entirely when it comes to magic.

Learn the art of magic, learn what it takes to become an entertainer, join a youth group, and THEN consider doing a show.

Best of luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:32 am 
Penguin

Answer #1 its Colombia.

And thanks, but its not gonna be a real big show, i'm only going to preform for a small class room, i already know a few balloon animals (the usual dog and stuff) and i will buy some of the tricks that u guys told me, i only have to be there for as long as i want so i can make a super short 20 minute show since i am not getting payed :? also, my mom is the teacher for an after school spanish thing and she teaches little kids (3-7) spanish, and right before the class ends she preforms a magic trick that i teach her and she tells me that they love them, off course, they don't like ALL of them, but she says that different people like different tricks, what surprized one of her 4 year old class bored another of her 4 year old class, so i just gotta use them as guinea pigs and see what tricks they all like.

PS: if u got more advice please post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:46 am 

I'm going to go against a few people here, but oh well...

You can't have a show until you build a show
You can't build a show until you know what works
You won't know what works if you don't get some experience
You can't get this experience if you don't perform

So, go out there and DO IT! Do as many free shows as you can, to as many people as you can get to watch you. You have a great opportunity to learn what works. Don't let it pass by simply because some people say you're not ready. OF COURSE you're not ready! That's why you NEED to do this show!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:59 am 
born to perform.

Don't do balloon animals! You are just opening yourself up for a lawsuit (or actually you are opening your parents up to one) if one of the little darlings puts it into their mouth and chokes.

When my daughter does balloons (and yes she has insurance) she still makes the host of the party sign a liability release AND she makes the balloons for the HOST, who then gives them out to the children. That way she is not responsible for determining who is age appropriate and who is not.

FWIW, my daughter only does 15 minutes of magic for a birthday party show. If the family would like, they can hire her for additional time and she will spend time doing either balloons or walk-around magic. Again, make sure your walkaround magic is age appropriate. If you do card tricks for kids, use card trick with cartoon instead of regular cards. They will have more fun and remember them easier.

In my opinion, and I am sure there is a lot of differing opinions out there, I would rather have my daughter do a shorter show and have the kids totally engaged rather than a longer show where they are getting bored and want to move on to the next thing. It is much better to have them "rush" you after you are done asking for more magic (which you give them) than having them walk away because they are just little kids with short attention spans -- which is exactly what 5 years olds have!

Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:00 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
I'm going to go against a few people here, but oh well...

A- You can't have a show until you build a show
b- You can't build a show until you know what works
c- You won't know what works if you don't get some experience
d-You can't get this experience if you don't perform

So, go out there and DO IT! Do as many free shows as you can, to as many people as you can get to watch you. You have a great opportunity to learn what works. Don't let it pass by simply because some people say you're not ready. OF COURSE you're not ready! That's why you NEED to do this show!

Okay, yes and no.
A- Obvious
B- Yes you can. By reading and watching others that have done this hundreds of times you know what and how things work on kids.
C- Yes you can- See (B).
D- By doing B&C! You know what goes into a show and how to do it. You DON'T use them as Guinea pigs or yourself to get experience. Usually you just end up getting frustrated and screwing up one party after another 'trying' to get it right.
By not researching from successful Entertainers you WON'T know what works. When you do, it is then you can have an idea how to put together a show. Then experience comes into play and that is when you tweak your show to your liking. To go out cold and try and try to see what works will most likely end up in failure. Instead of doing a show by doing magic without the knowledge of how to perform them you are putting yourself between a rock and a hard place. But if you don't mind doing a mediocre job then have at it.
Don't spend another dime on 'tricks' get material that will teach you how to do it.
Would you take a job rebuilding transmissions without any knowledge on how to do it. Just go in and do it by messing up time and time again?
Hope not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:54 pm 
Penguin

I completely agree with sluggo,

When I was starting out (and I’m still fairly green in the business compared to many others) I researched as much as I could and spent money on creating the best show I could. I accomplished just that, with the proper reading and thought put into the show I developed one of the best shows locally before I even thought about promoting it.
Of course most people on this forum are kids trying to entertain kids and with the limited budget they posses would rather spend the money from their piggy banks on tricks rather then books and DVDs.
They must resist this urge and learn before doing. I wouldn’t want an electrician who hasn’t gone to school to work on my wiring and I also wouldn’t want a teenager who doesn’t know how to entertain children to perform at my Childs birthday (if I had one)

Post subject: Re: '
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:58 pm 

sluggo wrote:
Okay, yes and no.
A- Obvious
B- Yes you can. By reading and watching others that have done this hundreds of times you know what and how things work on kids.
Reading and watching isn't a substitute for DOING. If it was, I'd be a top movie director, as I've seen plenty of movies.
C- Yes you can- See (B).
No, see my answer to B.
D- By doing B&C! You know what goes into a show and how to do it. You DON'T use them as Guinea pigs or yourself to get experience. Usually you just end up getting frustrated and screwing up one party after another 'trying' to get it right.
A major part of the learning process is practicing, not alone but in front of people.
By not researching from successful Entertainers you WON'T know what works.
Research is good, but it's not enough
When you do, it is then you can have an idea how to put together a show. Then experience comes into play and that is when you tweak your show to your liking. To go out cold and try and try to see what works will most likely end up in failure. Instead of doing a show by doing magic without the knowledge of how to perform them you are putting yourself between a rock and a hard place. But if you don't mind doing a mediocre job then have at it.
Don't spend another dime on 'tricks' get material that will teach you how to do it.I agree completely
Would you take a job rebuilding transmissions without any knowledge on how to do it.
Of course not
Just go in and do it by messing up time and time again?
Yes, in a supervised training class where I can practice on real transmissions. If I can't do it there, then I would go to the junkyard and get a few transmissions and learn on them (with the proper instructions and tools). Just buying a tool or book doesn't guarantee I know how to use it, just as buying a box full of tricks doesn't make me a magician. I need to know how it works, plus know how it works in front of people before I truly know everything I need to know about it.

I knew not everyone would agree, but my point is that sitting here on a computer talking about it doesn't get you anywhere closer to your goal. Until you experience it first hand and know how it feels to work when your stomach feels like it's in your throat and your hands are dripping with sweat, then you'll never know for sure if you really have what it takes.

Don't do this for a paid show, volunteer first. The kids won't know or care if you're getting paid. They'll have fun no matter what you do, even if it's simply to run around like maniacs stealing the funny magician's props.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:27 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV I agree with you whole-heartedly about volunteering to do shows for kids. My daughter did free shows for kids when she first started out, although I do feel it is important to still go into this prepared to the best of your ability.

The only thing I wouldn't do is to do a volunteer or paid show for a birthday party before being ready. This is a child's BIG day and something that they really look forward to and they love being in the limelight. To have a bad performance only lets the birthday child down and upsets the parents, which is a quick way to earn a bad reputation.

Long before we were ever into magic my daughter and I attended a birthday party. A friend paid a good price for a "magician". The guy came in with a box. Oh, here's a box --- its empty --- look now there's a rabbit. Literally, that was all he did. After building up having a magician coming to his party for weeks before his birthday, the kid was crushed. I've always remembered that, which is why I probably take a stronger view point on the subject of practice, practice, practice.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:54 pm 
born to perform.

Dave V,
I understand what you are saying but my point is instead of getting more tricks he should read HOW others do it. Before I did my first show I spent a week at a camp where I took a BD class. I read two books and watched a DVD.
Even with all that preparation I look back on that first show and cringe. If he doesn't do anything but go in with magic tricks the only experience he'll get will probably be a pretty severe let down. Most of these guys thinks that magic will entertain kids IT DOES NOT.
Maybe for a little bit but not for long. You can't substitute experience but you first should know how to.
The magic show is usually the highlight of the BD party and when it's a bad one the entire party blows and who's fault is that? The so called entertainer who was ill prepared.
He has virtually no idea on how to do a kid's show but agrees to do one. Even if it's free it shouldn't be a bad one because of little to no proper practice.
Would you want someone like this to do your child's BD? Hopefully not.
Although this isn't a BD show he isn't going to get good experience because he doesn't know why he is bombing. Get a show first by studying up on it and then go for a show. I totally agree with you on the experience thing but why not steer him into how to do a show first before doing one.