View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:50 pm 
born to perform.

Actually Sluggo, it is a birthday party according to his first post -- he's just doing the party at the school.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:18 pm 
born to perform.

Great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:38 pm 
Penguin

curlyclimber222 wrote:
I can recommend declining the show. You need to have a show before you accept gig offers. There is not much taht you can do in a month and a half, so if you still insist on doing this show then read through this Kid Show forum. THere is tons of great advice out there so start reading.

I HIGHLY suggest NOT doing the show though. If you do not do well (which nobody ever does the first show) then you are going to hurt the Birthday Boy's feelings. It would suck to have a bad magician (which you will be unless you do your research ahead of time) on your birthday if you were 5.

Ben WInter
ps. Just wondering what country is that?

no way. a month and a half not enough to impress a bunch of 5 year olds? heck to 5 year olds i can cover a bottle with a lunch bag and drag the bottle off the table and then crush the bag and they would be amazed. it doesn't take that much to impress 5 year olds. they are kids. you just need to be funny and stoop down to their level and do visual tricks. i don't suggest doing long card complicated routines.

imo you have more than enough time to prepare. just gather your tricks, practice them and start thinking of what to say to make them laugh etc.

best of luck to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:38 pm 
Penguin

and this is why people think that all birthday performers are hacks. Its people like you Fro1bRo that give us all a bad name. You may be able to entertain a 5 year old for 5 minutes by doing an effect. Now use that same mentality to not only entertain that 5 year but all his friends and a bunch of adults in the back all the way up to his 92 year old great grand mother.

I will tell you one thing and that is you will be royally screwed.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:56 am 
born to perform.

I've always wondered why idiots like fro1ro are allowed to stop taking their medication. That statement right there proves his lack of knowledge of the subject and his lack of skill. These are the one show wonders...cause nobody will ever ask them back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:02 am 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:
I'm going to go against a few people here, but oh well...

You can't have a show until you build a show
You can't build a show until you know what works
You won't know what works if you don't get some experience
You can't get this experience if you don't perform

So, go out there and DO IT! Do as many free shows as you can, to as many people as you can get to watch you. You have a great opportunity to learn what works. Don't let it pass by simply because some people say you're not ready. OF COURSE you're not ready! That's why you NEED to do this show!
Yes, agreed. Of course, make sure you have appropriate tricks for these kids (the coloring book, egg vase, etc... stuff that is very simple and not/having to be expensive..... for five year olds, it should work). And have the proper presentation for it. Some study materials as others have suggested would be very benefit greatly.

But you need to perform some free shows when starting out. Get the feel of it and each show should teach you something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:51 am 

Sneak, do you know anything besides gimmicks? My G-D, even the professional idiot David Blaine, knows how to do gimmicks. He can't do magic but he can play with toys.

Listen to Kristen, Dave, and Sluggo. These are all magicians that really care about our art and about making sure that eveyone enjoys their shows. These are the REAL experts here in birdland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:54 am 
Penguin

Wait a minute, PAD!

You think I just go out and perform trick after trick with no presention?

Before I answer that, though. The reason that I am so trick 'gimmick' friendly in my posts is that so many of you here aren't strong on tricks and I want to emphasize that tricks are very much an important part of our show (providing you really are a magician and not a clown). I want to give my best in presentation and my best in effect. I want to give my best in 'all' that I do, not just a part of what I do. So, I talk about tricks because you don't. I don't talk much about presentation beacuase you guys are already doing that.

I also notice that you guys (well, a few) are the least trick friendly people on any board I'm on. It is true that people elsewhere do in fact talk alot about presentation, even over the effect, but the effect is still alot more important than you are making it out here.

And talking down David Blaine! Go ahead. He's still somewhere you aren't.

Now......

Have you read all my posts, where I say I have perhaps 6 tricks in a 30-40 mintue show. Let's see, say each trick takes a minute (to actually perform the actual gimmick), then what do you think I'm doing for the other 24-34 minutes? W/O any typical 'full of anger' reply from you, let me answer that. That's 24 to 34 minutes of presentation. Hmmmm..... that means that the majority of my show is the presentation!

'Nuff said!

Last edited by sneak on Wed May 23, 2007 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:04 am 

Sneak, coming from me you should expect things like that. You see I only know you thru what you write. All of your posts suggest gimmicks. You have never indicated in any writings before that you present the tricks like in this one. So unless you let us know what you really do, you still give bad advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:12 am 
Penguin

My show and my presentation is my own.

However, I have on some occasions mentioned some routines (in brief only) that I use. The Change Bag for one. I try to change a silk into another color. It doesn't work. A bit of comedy is played out until a kid is able to do the change. This equals:

-comdey
-audience involvement
- magic
- bit of time (minutes) for an effect that could actually be performed in 10-15 seconds

That's how I perform my effects in general.

My advice is only bad for you (and those like you) because you don't believe in effects like I do. You only want your 'all' in your presentation. I want my 'all' in all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:16 pm 
born to perform.

Okay, here I go getting myself in the middle of things.

Paddy is a great guy who is here because he wants to help, otherwise he wouldn't waste his time at the forum. He has years of experience, and is trying to impart some of his knowledge to the youth on this forum. This isn't the only forum where he belongs and contributes to.

I've read what Paddy had to say, and then your followup response. - And correct me if I am wrong Paddy because I do not want to misinterpret your words, or Sneak's, but here are my thoughts on the subject, albeit they weren't requested.

I believe what Paddy was saying (as I interpreted it) is that in many of your posts you talk about a lot about different effects, but not presentation. Now, you responded that you don't talk about it because your show and presentation are your "own" and that others talk about presentation. But, as Paddy stated, if you never speak about presentation (which no one, especially me ever expects a magician to give away their patter/routine, etc.) then it is automatically kind of assumed that you don't have it in place. Now, this may not be a fair assumption but you have to realize that this forum is comprised of mainly young teens who don't have any kind of presentation/routine because 1) they are only interested in the tricks; 2) they don't have the proper instruction or network capabilities to learn; 3) they just don't care; or 4) they do care but it takes time, initiative, and helpful advice from people with experience (like Paddy) who can give sage advice.

So, if you want to help other teens (or adults) on the forum, it is important to talk about presentation, along with the tricks. You don't have to give away your ideas. Instead, ask questions that will provoke a thoughtful response so they come up with ideas on their own. If someone asks you about patter and how it works with a routine, give them constructive criticism of why it may or may not work or be appropriate.

At our local SYM there are some kids that are there because they have a passing fancy in magic. Others are there who believe in the art of magic and love it. At every meeting the kids are given free tricks and told to "present" something at the next meeting. It rarely happens. Although, during the meetings if I walk up to one of those kids who truly believes in the art of magic and specifically ask them to come back next month with some original patter and tell them its their "homework" -- I guarantee you I'm never disappointed. I love seeing what the kids come up with. There is one really young member that is great, he has so much enthusiasm. An older teen there (and yeah, you know who you are if you're reading this) is totaly awesome and blows me away with his walkaround effects. But, whatever age you are --- you can have the best trick in the world, if you don't learn to present it you will never truly succeed in being a magician/entertainer. I think that is the message that the older magicians are trying to teach the younger generation on the forum.

So don't be discouraged about talking about presentation just because other people cover it -- the more it is talked about the better. In the end, it will only help more people.

So now that I have just stepped in when not asked I will go away. I hope my post did not offend anyone, as that truly was not the intention. I just know the great guy that Paddy is and how long he's been around this forum. I also appreciate the help and encouragement he has given to me over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:13 am 

Thank you Kristen. I admit that I am blunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:44 am 
Penguin

kristenl, you are always welcome to say what you want since that's what these forums are for. However, even more so from you as you are one of the most positive people around here. Whether I agree or not, please feel free to join in/respond any time you want with one of my conversations if you feel you have something to say.

Now, please understand why I say what I say. It is true I feel stronger about effects than many others. I decided to get into magic as a result of the effects. My favorite movies are the special effects movies. I like action. But I know about the presentation. You can read above where the majority of my show is presentation. I use my presentation for two reasons:

1) To entertain around the effect
2) To bring the specs into the effect so they get the most out of the effect

My goal is to really blow them away by each carefully chosen effect, but I don't want too many effects or (as others sometimes say) they might get too overwhelmed by the effects and not know what to make of it afterwards. Plus, I really want the spec to remember my effects so I can't have too many (one of the reasons for the majority of my show on presentation). But, as many agree with me that the #1 thing people remember after a show is the effects, I really want to give the the best effects possible so they can indeed remember the effects and me through them. And, yes, the presentation has a lot to do with this. My presentation must allow them to be enjoying the routine and bring them into wanting to see the magic so when it happens, they get all they can out of it.

I believe in giving my all in all that I do, presentation and effect.

So, why don't I talk about presentation more?

Because it is already being done by you, Paddy. etc...... What else can I add (at least on a usual basis).

But look at my post above on the change bag. You can see how I use presentation in my effect. And go to the DEJA ZOO thread. You will see where I mention an effect that I use, but you will also see where presentation was a big part of that effect, where the trick is self-working so the performer can concentrate on the PRESENTATION (no, I'm not shouting or yelling, just highlighting).

OK, I'm typing too much here. But I hope you understand me a little more and that I'm really like you and the others, just with a little more interest in the effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:02 pm 
born to perform.

Sneak I appreciate that you went into depth about presentation and how you do implement it in your routines! And don't worry that you were getting word-y ---- I'm the Queen of long posts! :lol:

I truly do believe that it is so important, which is why I can be a nag on the subject. However, you have such an opportunity to help others by discussing both and being a role model on the forum. So don't ever feel the need to not cover a subject because someone else is! I would always enjoy hearing your thoughts on both effects and presentations!

Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:48 pm 
Penguin

ok, i was looking around and i'm going to buy this tricks to start, and please point out any trick that may not be apropiate for my show.

3D multiplying rabbits.

Instant Snow Blizzard Powder (and throw the snow at them, there is no snow in my country and very few people have enough money to travel, so i'm sure it will impress them, also, almost everyone i know back in Colombia Wants to see snow.)

Slush Powder (i'll do the trick in the video)

and here are some tricks that i already have and am planing on preforming:

magic coloring book

pen through dollar trick

some silk tissue magic

criss angel's levitation thing.