View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questions
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:51 pm 
Penguin

Hi everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read and answer

Question #1 - Phone

How should I take a call from a potential customer, and what should the recording on my answering machine sound like? (I am 13, so I don't want it to sound like a kid answering the phone.)

Question #2 - Cups and Balls/Sponge Ball Routine

I've heard many things (good & bad) about using cups and balls and sponge balls in a Kids Show. I really enjoy performing these effects, but I've heard many things about the children not being able to see the cups and balls because they sit on the floor. I don't know much about this issue, so can someone explain it and advise on these problems.

Thanks very much!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:42 pm 
Penguin

I suggest having one of your parents actually act as an agent on your behalf. This will allow for adults to speak to adults and the clients will take less liberties with you this way. Also a dedicated phone line that will only be answered in a professional way is a must.

This idea would go into the answering machine as well and have your parent do the message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:52 pm 
born to perform.

We handle the initial call for our daughter if it comes in by telephone --- she will do the proper follow-up calls, especially the night before to confirm all final details (the client will have previously received a confirmation letter by this time as well) and answer any questions.

If the initial contact comes in by email she has saved "responses" in a template form that she just has to modify to that specific client and then answer any specific questions.

Some people are quite happy to correspond strictly through emails, while others need the reassurance of speaking one on one. In either case, a phone call must be made the night before to re-affirm everything.

One more note, if you are corresponding via email your grammar/language must project a professional image or you will lose your client.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:29 pm 
Penguin

Thanks, this is really helping, does anyone have any opinions on the second question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:20 am 
Penguin

I don't perform the cups and balls yet, though I am considering it. From what I've witnessed at various shows, it would depend on the ball size you are using. Very small could be hard to see, but bigger ones obviously would work better. From a distance, however, if you are performing for a large crowd, the visibility could be a factor. A birthday party for a small group of kids could work well. Perhaps someone else here on Penguin who performs this effect could go further with this since I actually don't perform this yet.

As for the sponge balls, I do perform certain effects with them and they work well. Again, though, perhaps not well if you're performing for a real huge amount of kids, but a decent size should work.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:19 pm 
Penguin

Yeah, I think there will be about 10 kids per show

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:53 am 
Penguin

Both should be fine, then. And good luck!

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:36 pm 
born to perform.

A wise little trick was told to me awhile back about talking to people on the phone. The minute you pick up the phone put a smile on your face when you talk, you'd be suprised how cordial you come acrossed to them. Be perky and energetic it comes acrossed to them in a positive way. It really works. :D

Post subject: Re: '
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:46 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
sluggo wrote:
A wise little trick was told to me awhile back about talking to people on the phone. The minute you pick up the phone put a smile on your face when you talk, you'd be suprised how cordial you come acrossed to them. Be perky and energetic it comes acrossed to them in a positive way. It really works. :D

That's absolute truth! Believe it or not, people can "hear" a smile! They can also "hear" a scowl or frown.

You can't help but sound cordial and friendly if you are smiling when talking on the phone. Plus, it adds that level of professionalism that we strive to attain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:12 pm 
born to perform.

I couldn't agree with you gentlemen more! It is so important, in any business, that whoever picks up that phone first, MUST be cordial, pleasant, and at your service --- they are who represents your company and the first impression.

When working, I don't care how bad my day is going (which is rare) -- when the phone rings, a client will NEVER know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:55 pm 

You've received some great advice on your first question. As for the second question, the answer really depends on the way you present your effects and the age group for which you are performing.

For instance, I specifically designed my sponge ball routine for children 6 yrs. of age and under. It's quick, visual and waaay over the top. If I showed that same routine to an 8 year old, he would think I was an idiot.

You see, different effects and presentations will do better with some age groups rather than others. That's because children's attention spans, maturity levels and life experiences change with age. To select your material, and present it to its fullest, you need to understand the psychology of children.

As for the cups and balls, this effect goes extremely well with kids 8 years and older. At that age, the kids won't have any problems standing for a few minutes to view the effect, especially if it is near the end of your show. I find the kicker ending, with some really great final loads get a really good reaction with both kids this age and their parents.

But be forewarned. Kids in this age group are very critical. If you are going to perform the cups and balls, you better have a great routine and perform it perfectly - otherwise, they will eat you alive!

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:58 pm 
Penguin

I just got my first gig. It's going to be in a few months. I have my routine all worked out except for the sponge balls part. The reason I am confused is how to do the sponge balls because the birthday boy is turning seven, and the children will range from 5 1/2 to around 8. So I don't really know what to do. Maybe some really simple visual tricks combined with some more complicated ones.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:59 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
I couldn't agree with you gentlemen more! It is so important, in any business, that whoever picks up that phone first, MUST be cordial, pleasant, and at your service --- they are who represents your company and the first impression.

When working, I don't care how bad my day is going (which is rare) -- when the phone rings, a client will NEVER know.

I of course have the home phone and a separate business phone. Nobody has or calls the biz phone, that way when it rings I know it's somone calling 'Magic Giggles.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:44 pm 

gregdwulet wrote:
I just got my first gig. It's going to be in a few months. I have my routine all worked out except for the sponge balls part. The reason I am confused is how to do the sponge balls because the birthday boy is turning seven, and the children will range from 5 1/2 to around 8. So I don't really know what to do. Maybe some really simple visual tricks combined with some more complicated ones.

You're being hired to create a special memory for the birthday boy. Focus most of the show around a 7 year old and you will be fine. Sponge balls can play well, especially if you get an audience member involved in the routine.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:55 am 

gregdwulet wrote:

Greg, the first principle of magic is KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Why go for complicated tricks when you can amaze them with uncomplicated ones. Once you start to add to and embelish tricks you increase the chance of screwing up.