View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

IBM or SYM?
IBM 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
SYM 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: IBM or SYM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:36 pm 
Penguin

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about joining either the IBM or the SYM. I want to join IBM more than SYM, but I need 2 active members to recommend me. I don't know any other magicians, so I'm really dissapointed about that. Any advice would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:20 pm 
born to perform.

We don't have an IBM ring in our area, but our daughter is very happy with the SYM and we love our SAM Assembly. The SAM also requires sponsors, but that is easy enough to accomplish when you go to your first meeting. I believe you can attend up to 3 (maybe its 2) meetings before deciding whether or not to join. SYM dues are very inexpensive. I believe it is only $20 a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:07 pm 

go to your local ring meeting, you will find people there to sign your application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:46 pm 
Team Penguin

I am with the IBM and the SAM.

I have found that the SAM is much more on time and really quick about notifying you of things. They tend to work with you much more than the IBM.

Both are great organizations though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:56 pm 

Join both. I'm a member of the SAM and the AMA and will be joining IBM soon. It costs a little extra, but it's nice to get all the information.

Either way, IBM and SAM are beginning to work very closely with each other, so it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:40 am 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:

Either way, IBM and SAM are beginning to work very closely with each other, so it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Exactly! In fact, IBM's convention is in Reno this year and they are inviting SYM members to attend at IBM rates, which will save $$. So they are working hand in hand with one another. In fact, isn't their next convention going to be a co-sponsored event? I am sure I heard that at one of our SAM meetins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:33 am 
born to perform.

if you don't have anyone to recomend you, the join the SYM. I am in both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:18 am 
Penguin

The only problem is that I would have to get my parents to drive a long time to get to an SYM meeting, and I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:32 am 

gregdwulet wrote:
The only problem is that I would have to get my parents to drive a long time to get to an SYM meeting, and I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble.

A very simple answer to your question. H E L L YES it is worth the trouble. Both IBM and SYM are organizations that will help you in learning new tricks PLUS help you with making your act entertaining. You will learn from people that not only will tell you what is wrong, but will help you to correct things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:08 pm 
born to perform.

I agree with Paddy 100%. In addition to that, once you are good enough, your mentors may help you get work. My daughter's first show (public event, for a City no less) came at the recommendation of her SYM mentor to the City when he was approached for a youth magician. Networking in this business can be vital. Without those contacts, it can be much more difficult to break into the business. My daughter also was asked to perform with the SAM at their last year's annual fundraiser. She will be performing again with them this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:38 pm 
born to perform.

it is very worth it