View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kid Control at Birthday Shows
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:08 pm 
born to perform.

I thought this might be an interesting thread. How do all of you control the kids at a birthday show? Kids always want get up, go towards the magician, and make a grab for that bit of magic here and there.

My daughter currently uses a great "method" that has worked perfectly for her. She would love to take credit for it, but it originated through a client. For the party, the client placed a large blanket on the floor where my daughter was performing. (I don't think she wanted her carpet dirty) My daughter, however, used this to her benefit -- being the quick thinker she is! She told all the kids that it was a "magic carpet". In order for all the magic to happen, all the kids needed to do their part and stay on the carpet to keep the magic alive! If someone starts to get off, she gets a little animated and tells them the magic is running away and to hurry back and see if they can catch it by getting back on the magic carpet. Works every time! They quickly return to the carpet, and she goes back to the magic!

So, she doesn't lug around a blanket, what she does have is a nice big piece of compact felt that you can get at a fabric store. Its cheap so once it gets dirty, just replace it.

Now that I've shared our secret to keeping the kids under control, how do you handle it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:16 pm 
Penguin

When possible (on carpet) i use a masking tape line. Otherwise I have used a skipping rope for my line. Of course with the skipping rope there is the fact that you will inevitably have to move it back at least once during the show. But as long as you ask the children in the proper way there isn’t a problem. For instance a show I did last week that ended up being larger then I was told by the agent that booked me (those agents never have the correct info). I had to use the skipping rope but their were still the very little ones that kept walking into my performing area so I had to ask for "security" a couple times during the show. This got a laugh and would work for an effect or two but then the same children would be let free again. I definitely learned a little more about crowd control from it and will be more open to ask for some ranchers to come corral their kids. I guess its true we do learn something new from every show.