View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Routining a show --- where to start?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:00 pm 
born to perform.

I was going to post this as a response in another thread, but I though it might be helpful in its own thread.

We have so many young magicians here, that I thought it might help them to learn how to routine a show. Here goes:

If it is helpful, I thought I would share with you the format my daughter' uses. I won't give away her patter, because it is 100% original, and that wouldn't be fair of me to give away her storyline. I call it a "storyline" because her birthday show is premised on the idea of "storytelling", that is enhanced with magic.

The way we started out was to line out the tricks she wanted to do for her show. Then together, we set out making a story out of it. Now, it doesn't have to be one long story, rather they just have to blend from one to the next. She is an excellent writer so once we came up with the "concept" it was easy for her to write the story.

For example:

1. She does a brief, but eye-catching introduction. She even tells them that, "today, we are going to make some BIG, BEAUTIFUL, magic." Note that she said, "we" and not, "I'm". Already, they are involved. Now, being a female, she emphasizes the beautiful, because she is very graceful in her routine WHILE still making sure it is FUN, and interacting with the kids.

2. She begins her story while performing a trick. The story fits exactly the trick she is performing so it is easy for the kids to follow along. They are engaged by not only the story, but by seeing the story visually with the use of magic. Her story also gives a "moral" message about being happy with who you are --- without any kind of a preachy feel. A message that parents seem to appreciate.

3. The next part of the story evolves from the first part of the story. It is an easy transition. This is where she pulls up her volunteer (the birthday child) for the FIRST time. She even gives them "magic dust" so that THEY can make the magic happen. She also gets the rest of the kids involved by letting them know how they can HELP make the magic happen.

4. Again, the next part of the story unfolds from the preceeding trick. It is all about following a natural flow from one to another. Again, since the birthday child is already there, she let's THEM do the magic. It makes the birthday child feel "extra special".

5. At this point she tell the birthday child that they can go back to the magic carpet with their friends. She also is sure to have everyone give the birthday child a HUGE round of applause for being such a GREAT magician! This always brings a major smile to the birthday child -- because isn't it all about making THAT child feel special?! It is not about the magician at a birthday party -- you are not the star attraction -- they are!

6. Next, she resumes her story and this time she is performing the magic alone. This is a very visual, brightly colored routine using silks that matches perfectly with the story.

Now, this concludes the "Storytelling" portion of her magic show, but it is not the end of her show. This is her segway into the next "routine".

7. She tells the crowd that a birthday party is never truly a party without birthday cards and presents! So, she pulls out birthday cards -- and of course there is a custom card in there for the birthday child from her with THEIR name on it (along with my daughter's photo, domain, and email address-- have to get those "extra" advertising moments in there when you can, HOWEVER, that is a small part of the card, again, its about focusing on the birthday child where their name is in BIG letters and the focal point of the card) --- and she proceeds to do a magic trick based on that.

8. The real end of the magic show is when she does her final magic bit. She calls the birthday child up once again and has them help her make magic one more time. This is the cutest little bit that the kids just LOVE. Once the magic happens, the "present" is theirs to keep! Now, my daughter does a photo op with the child and poses for the parents. Afterwards, she again asks everyone to give the birthday child another round of applause to acknowledge the "special" birthday child and thanks that child for allowing her, "Magic by ---" to help celebrate their special day! Yep, one more time getting her name out there without it being about HER, but the birthday child.

I hope this helps some of the younger magicians who are having trouble with developing an actual show. It is just a little outline of how to put something together. You may find it helpful, you may not. Everyone has their own performance style and it is really about what fits YOU best!

Good luck everyone and enjoy making magic!

Last edited by kristenl on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:06 pm 
born to perform.

Kristen, I'm very impressed with both your daughter's skill at routining and her passion for the art. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling (I'm kidding). But in all honesty, it is inspiring.

Great routine and show, and I really like that birthday card idea. I do something similar with a banner featuring "Happy Birthday (Child's Name)". Really anything that brings attention to the birthday child is great for these kid's parties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:12 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Great post, but I have one question:

Why is this not stickied or in the essay section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:13 pm 
born to perform.

Miniserb~

Thanks for the nice response!

LOL, she turns the "cards" into a birthday banner -- :wink:

Quote:
Great post, but I have one question:

Why is this not stickied or in the essay section?

We can sticky? I thought only mods could do that. :?:

As to the essay section, I never thought of that -- :oops: