View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good Stuff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:58 am 
Penguin

Hey guys,

I am sorry i know this is very popular but mines a little different. I go to a church (no i am not mormon) and i was wondering what routine is good for kids. they are about 1st grade thru 6th grade. But the reason this is different is because i have mark wilsons complete course in magic, and i wanted to know what to use for the kids shows that is in that book. i am already going to use cut and restored rope. But the other difference is, there has to be a story with it. It can not be a card trick because you cant put ( i know i sound like a church geek) a church-like story into it. so i just was wondering what to put into my routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:05 am 
born to perform.

If you want to do gospel magic, then by all means definitely check in to Duane Laflin's magic. He does a lot of gospel magic with really good messages. He also carries a lot of gospel orientated items. You can even sign up for his newsletter and it will give you free routines. You'll have to google for more information as I don't think it is right to give out another address here at the forum. Although, I think it is okay to recommend Duane because Penguin doesn't sell those items here, or at least to the best of my knowledge they don't.

If my post is in any way inappropriate, mods my apologies and please remove my post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:57 am 
born to perform.

just because you have mark wilsons book? No your post is no different. You have to take the same advice we give to others, wilsons book is not a kids show book. You wont learn how to entertain kids.

Post subject: Re: Good Stuff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:34 am 

knottz44 wrote:
Hey guys, ...But the other difference is, there has to be a story with it. It can not be a card trick because you cant put ( i know i sound like a church geek) a church-like story into it. so i just was wondering what to put into my routine.

WRONG IGOR!!! There is a story about a person used a deck of cards as a bible. It is not anti religion at all it is very religious. (i.e. 4 suits of cards = 4 gospels) You can also bring morality lessons in by such tricks as finding the aces (or kings) another is making four cards turn into 4 aces. Use this as "sinners finding salvation" because they were truly sorry for their sins.

There are many more but this isn't bad for an old Jew boy like me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:57 am 

For you to be a good entertainer (of any kind) you can't expect the presentation to be served to you on a silver platter. You have to rely upon your own imagination and artistic skills to personalize the presentation the way you want it.

Can't find religion in card tricks? Here's an example: Most people know the card trick NFW. It's been on the market for a while. Four face-up cards turn face down, one card at a time. Then, the face-down cards are turned over to reveal that they have changed to completely different cards.

1. The four cards can represent 4 brothers
2. Each of the four brothers face an event that challenges their faith
3. Each brother turns their back on their faith
4. Until one day, they are transformed and find their way back to God.

Again, the presentation of any effect is only limited by your imagination. Go back and re-read Mark Wilson' book with an open mind. There's more magic in those pages than you will ever need.

Kent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:27 am 
Emperor Penguin

knottz44 wrote:
Hey guys,

I am sorry i know this is very popular but mines a little different. I go to a church (no i am not mormon)

This made me laugh!!!!!!!! Mormons aren't the only ones that go to church you know...... :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:50 am 
Penguin

magikrn wrote:
knottz44 wrote:
Hey guys,

I am sorry i know this is very popular but mines a little different. I go to a church (no i am not mormon)

This made me laugh!!!!!!!! Mormons aren't the only ones that go to church you know...... :?

i know its just everyone suspects i am :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:51 am 
Penguin

magicman845 wrote:
For you to be a good entertainer (of any kind) you can't expect the presentation to be served to you on a silver platter. You have to rely upon your own imagination and artistic skills to personalize the presentation the way you want it.

Can't find religion in card tricks? Here's an example: Most people know the card trick NFW. It's been on the market for a while. Four face-up cards turn face down, one card at a time. Then, the face-down cards are turned over to reveal that they have changed to completely different cards.

1. The four cards can represent 4 brothers
2. Each of the four brothers face an event that challenges their faith
3. Each brother turns their back on their faith
4. Until one day, they are transformed and find their way back to God.

Again, the presentation of any effect is only limited by your imagination. Go back and re-read Mark Wilson' book with an open mind. There's more magic in those pages than you will ever need.

Kent

hmmm. . . maybe your right. NFW. . . what does that stand for? isnt MERCURY pretty similar to the explanation you gave me? if so then i know how to do it, its just i thought i would get caught with multiple card supposed to look like one. . . but that is a very nice idea! thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:54 am 
Penguin

benlewis2004 wrote:
just because you have mark wilsons book? No your post is no different. You have to take the same advice we give to others, wilsons book is not a kids show book. You wont learn how to entertain kids.

dude they are K-6. I already have a great idea for cut and restored rope and many others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:24 pm 

Please don't tell me that any of you present card tricks by saying things like: "Now I'm going to show you NFW". Unless you are demonstrating tricks behind a magic store counter, the audience never knows the actual name of your trick.

Cut and restored rope can simply be presented with a story of death and resurrection. Not too much of a stretch when you think about it.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:08 pm 
born to perform.

so what they are reception to year 7 (english version), you still need to learn, its not how you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:46 pm 
Penguin

ya im not going to say HEY KIDS this is NFW! i like it because. . . and all that. i wont say stuff they wont understand. but since cut and restored rup gets cut and restored twice, i can do 2 good stories. and i wont do exactly NFW, but ill do another one i created. ill make up a story of 4 kids who each got into alot of trouble and did bad things. (the jacks turn over 1 by 1). then they met friends who took them to church, and led them to god. (they become aces) and they each play a role in the church like pastor, singer, and watever. then you see they are red :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:41 pm 
born to perform.

so your not taking our advice. Whatever, we wont help you then, be sure to post back on your failure. People always think they know best because they fell wilsons book does it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:55 pm 
born to perform.

He already took other's advice that he CAN use card magic in a gospel setting. You didn't give him any advice, the only thing you said is that "Mark Wilson isn't a kid's show book", which isn't even what he said. I used production box, take-apart vanish, square circle, sponge balls, cut and restored ropes, equal/unequal, and confetti to candy in various kid's shows. So actually, there is plenty of children-compatible material in that book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:43 am 
born to perform.

yes children compatible. But how did you give them a kids show presentation, because that isnt in the book.

How often did they laugh? How many times a minute?
How much di you charge?
How much audience interaction? etc.