View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kids Magic Show Routine, HELP!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:29 pm 
Penguin

Hey im 13 years old have been performing magic since i was 4. I am beginning to start doing kids shows but I am in real need of a routine. I dont know what tricks I need either. I would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice and tips as well as a routine and a list of magic tricks that are good to perform at kids shows.

Thanks!

P.S. Im going to start doing performances for kids 10 and under

Last edited by Chilla on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:35 pm 
Penguin

Its important to get a book, or dvd on preforming for kids. And about the trick, anything bright and flashy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:40 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Don't forget entertaining as well.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:42 pm 
Penguin

whats the dvd or books called?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:04 pm 

There are several books on the subject. Many titles and authors have been mentioned in previous posts. Do your own research and you will be rewarded. However, 13 is NOT the age to start performing kid shows, even for those 10 and under. They will se that you are a kid like them and eat you for lunch.

Post subject: Re: Kids Magic Show Routine, HELP!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:40 pm 
born to perform.

Chilla wrote:
Hey im 15 years old have been performing magic since i was 4. I am beginning to start doing kids shows but I am in real need of a routine. I dont know what tricks I need either. I would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice and tips as well as a routine and a list of magic tricks that are good to perform at kids shows.

Thanks!

P.S. Im going to start doing performances for kids 10 and under

No, No and no!
Since you have eleven years experience you should know these things. Instead of trying to steal someone's routine make your own up. Take the many months that we have and study how to do a Kid show instead of coming here and asking us to give you a show.
Just another wannabie :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:53 pm 
Penguin

i have tried just i dont really know what kids want to see in magic >< i have never been to a kids magic show before

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:58 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Then start going, and get some books. Just type in kids magic dvds in google, I am sure you will come up with something.

LOL, I just reread my post and it made me laugh......... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:13 am 
born to perform.

When my daughter first started performing kid shows, she didn't know either. As previously stated by Paddy, it was research, research, research before she even thought about putting together a routine.

Also, Sluggo is right -- no one is going to hand over a routine to you. It took my daughter and I literally months of trial and error to come up with her 15 minute show before she even THOUGHT about performing it for anyone. Re-working over and over again to get it just right. I can't even begin to tell you the hours of rehearsal she put into it.

She was asked long before to do kid parties and she always turned them down because she knew she didn't have the proper routine. If you really want to become a respected magician, invest the time in learning and doing the research. Otherwise you will lose the respect of not only other magicians in your area, and any support that might be forthcoming, but you will also jeopardize any future client base.

Also, always keep in mind that no matters how many hours of rehearsal you put into a routine, there will be times that things go wrong. Without the proper rehearsal time, knowing your act inside and out, you won't know how to deal with it once you are in front of a crowd and it can ruin your show --- you have to be able to plan for contingency, be a PERFORMER at all times, to see you through the "unexpected" moments in magic.

Good luck!

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:58 am 
born to perform.

Kristenl,
Very well put :!: I can only imagine how proud you are to see your Daughter investing so much of her time to be the best she can. These kids come on here and all they see is putting together anything they can to get a cheap buck.
A cheap show just to get their hands on some money to buy MORE 'magic.' Don't worry about researching something just get some two bit info and throw a show together. It's very aggravating and as you can tell my patience is gone with these kinds of people.
Invest in some research material is a 'waste' to them...since the magic makes the show. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! It's the performance..not the magic.
Everyone wanting to start doing Kid shows, read Kristinl above comments several times. Then go away and do what it says then come back and ask questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:20 am 
born to perform.

Thanks Sluggo for the compliment -- and yes, I am very proud of my daughter, which anyone who knows me will happily tell you. Magic or no magic, she is a wonderful daughter that brings us immense joy.

Back to magic, and to address the issue of having a quality show, the biggest form of a compliment is the callback. That is what you are striving for -- the repeat customer. Put together a quality PERFORMANCE and you will have REPEAT customers! My daughter has a repeat customer, which is a City, for a 4th of July show for the second year in a row. She has also been hired by them for other events.

Friday and Saturday, she performed a very short magic routine for her dance teacher's annual recital show. There were about 300+/- people there each night, a very family oriented show. Before she left, her dance teacher told her what a great job she did, invited her to perform "magic" again next year, and gave her the "theme" so she could already start preparing another show. Okay, so that was great news --- what was even better news, as of this morning, which it is still really early here --- she has already had 38 new hits on her website! These are the events you want because they can give you a broad field in which to show-off your talents and get you the "private party". She also had one woman approach her at the event and told her she was going to contact her in a few months about doing a birthday party. Also, every program had her business card featured in it, so that gave her free advertisement in over 600 programs! And you can never forget ---- the power of "word of mouth".

Again, please take the time to think about what it takes to put together a quality show. Now, I know this topic is about birthday parties, but in this one post I was giving you an example of stage shows --- however, one can easily lead to another if you have the right material!

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:10 pm 
Penguin

yeah i get what you mean kristenl. but just to let you all know IM NOT DOING THIS TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK! im doing this because i love to be a magician. i sort of started a routine already just im looking for some tips. but anyway thats a really inspiring story, and like sluggo said before you must be so very much proud of her.

but i just have one question for you kristenl, how old is your daughter and how did she first advertise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:08 pm 
born to perform.

you have to spend alot of money on resouces and props, im talking maybe 600-800 dollars minumum, but you would do that anyway if you wanted to be a magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:16 pm 
Penguin

yeah im totally aware of that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:43 pm 
born to perform.

My daughter is 13. She doesn't really do any kind of "paid" advertising. She relies on word-of-mouth. The only thing she pays for is a website, but that is strictly for prospective clients, magician friends to keep up on her progress, and tribute to those who have helped her along the way.