View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:43 pm 
born to perform.

I used to do alot of magic, and i did a couple of kid's shows, mainly as a balloon artist and a magicians assistant. Two experiences weren't that great. One time I was just playing with the topsy popsy wand, by Trixie something. It doesn't really follow a routine amongst the youngsters, it gives them alittle bit of an excuse to move around during the show. Well one time I was having the darndnest time trying to set up the gimmik. I just could not get it to pop, so I just said oh well this wand is not very magical. Another occasion I was doing the trick Dynamite. A great brass trick, "packs small but plays big!". Well anyways You have a stick of dynamite, you put it into a brass tube and shaake it up, and have the kid open it up because it is going to explode, but wal-ah you get yourself a streamer or a silk. Well one time a child dropped the prop. It got slightly dinged up and because it was machined so well i could not get it open again. Life moves on or so I am told. Kind of like when you approach a lady friend, you cant let a no or a bad trick ruin the rest of your routine, you gotta close it up some how.

-thank you

(Hopefully I can go find some old props of mine and get back in this magic business!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:28 pm 
born to perform.

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
SirJonIV wrote:
I'm assuming that this is one of your first kid shows? Correct me if I'm wrong. Those are the ups and downs in life and magic. You have to come across obstacles and errors in order to be "successful" and experienced. These things are going to happen. No matter what. So, don't take it personally, you'll get better, and you're shows WILL, I guarentee, will be a lot smoother. :)

This was my first kids show, i have done a lot of other shows eg, entertainment as bands set up for battle of the bands at my high school. i have done assemblies for my middle school, (i guess this could be considered a kids show), but they were not alowed to get up and walk away, and they didn't want to... this was at the beginning of last year and i still get compliments... o well, i know these things do happen i was just wondering how to deal with it, thanks for all the advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:07 pm 
born to perform.

Sure, no problem.

What preparation/knowledge of kid shows do you have? Any books that significantly helped you? DVDs? I want to know.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:18 pm 
born to perform.

i don't have any books or DVD's that are dedicated to kids shows, but my uncle is a children's pastor and uses magic to illistrste his lessons. he is the one who got me hooked on magic. So i watched how he interacted with kids vs. teens and adults. I came up with patters for each of my tricks that kids could relate to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:51 pm 
born to perform.

Cool.. Did you get paid for your performance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:12 am 

Bluebackedcards wrote:
i don't have any books or DVD's that are dedicated to kids shows, but my uncle is a children's pastor and uses magic to illistrste his lessons. he is the one who got me hooked on magic. So i watched how he interacted with kids vs. teens and adults. I came up with patters for each of my tricks that kids could relate to.

Get a hold of books by David Ginn or Samuel Patrick Smith they will help ensure a good kid's show. Also go to your local ring meetings that will help immensely. BTW Samuel Patrick Smith is the new editor of The Linking Ring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:32 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Get a hold of books by David Ginn or Samuel Patrick Smith they will help ensure a good kid's show. Also go to your local ring meetings that will help immensely. BTW Samuel Patrick Smith is the new editor of The Linking Ring.

Whoa that's news to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:09 pm 
born to perform.

SirJonIV wrote:
Cool.. Did you get paid for your performance?

i did, it was for family friends so i told them i would do it for free, but they gave gave me 40 dollars any way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:14 am 
Team Penguin

I did a show for about 200 kids at a resort in Atlanta one time, and since it was sunny the clients wanted the show outside in the yard. After unloading all the equipment, I went into the resort to get some batteries while my juggler friend started setting up some of my stuff for me. I get a call on my cell phone while I am inside and it is the juggler telling me I need to come outside fast.

I run outside as fast as I can only to find that the automatic sprinkler system had come on to water the grass and my equipment was getting wet!! We moved the stuff out of the way and I went to the head client and calmy but angrily told him that they needed to turn of the sprinkler system until I leave. He gladly understood and obliged. He said they would be turned off immediately.

So...I towel dried as much of my equipment as I could and set up the show...the kids all come a take a seat and 10 minutes into the show...IT HAPPENED AGAIN! All the sprinklers came right back on...soaking me, my equipment, AND my audience....I grabbed a bunch of the resorts towels and through them over the sprinklers so that they would stop spraying up and got all of my stuff to the side again. I finished the show even though everyone and everything was soaked. After the show I gave a piece of my mind to the client...needless to say, I doubt they will have me back next year...and It won't bother me one bit!

this was the worst show experience I can think of...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:26 am 
born to perform.

That is horrible Kyle! I don't blame you one bit for being upset! With as expensive as magic equipment is-- think of "what could have happened" if it had ruined all your equipment. Normally, I'm very soft spoken, but even I would have been tempted to give the client a little grief in return!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:06 pm 
Penguin

Hey all,

I've had a few nightmare experiences. I did a lot of schools work - I've done about 30-40 school schools and numerous parties.

my first nightmare story was when we were doing a school show and i had partnered with a friend who did fire eating. Of course during that show we asked that the fire alarms be turned off. This is normally not a problem - the school just has to call the fire brigade and say that they want to go "off watch" during the time of fire eating.

As per usual i checked minutes before the show and we were given the go ahead - the fire alarm was turned off - we wouldn't get a visit from the fire department. This turned out to be completely wrong. A couple of seconds after we light the fire suddenly the alarms go off. We didn't think anything of it until suddenly a team of fire-fighters rushed in to the back of the hall - hose pipes and all! luckily we were able to go on with the show and i made sure we were paid. I didnt feel like having a go at the school - they were going to suffer themselves with the £150 fine that the fire department would give them.

The second one was I was asked to do a performance for a kids party £25 for 30 minutes - so not to bad work. I was told they were aged 7 and around 15 kids. That wasn't true. The oldest one was 4, the youngest was 2. Suddenly I had to change my whole routine on the spot. everything became very big and visual - lots of fun for them but an improvised routine sucks. I got my money and left that one quick.

The point is - bad things happen. it's how you deal with them and move on. just make sure you ahve enough practise to know what to do when things go wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:23 am 
Penguin

I have been doing kids shows for awhile now and all of them have gone well, except for the most recent one. It was a birthday party held in a gymnasium. I was told the kids would all be between 7 and 10, so I planned appropritely, brining a good mix of older kids tricks and little kid tricks. Well, the kids were more like 4-7, so I had to dramiatically shorten the show, also the kids were buck wild and none of the parents seemed to care that kids were leaving their seats and wandering onto stage to look over my props during the show. I was able to get the kids back to their seats but it really distracted from the show. Imagine being in the middle of silk to egg when a kid wanders on stage to have a look at your rabbit box and you get the idea. They then wanted balloon animals after the show and I had to rush to get them done because their rental time was up when the show ended. All in all, I think the client was happy and a man approaced me at church last week whose grandson had been at the party. He told me he heard how good of a job I did and that they plan to have me at his grandson's party. Lastnight at a church service, that little boy was sitting on the pew in front of me. It really made me feel like a celebrity as he could not stop looking at "the magician" all during the service. Its funny how kids are sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:41 pm 
born to perform.

tparker wrote:
I have been doing kids shows for awhile now and all of them have gone well, except for the most recent one. It was a birthday party held in a gymnasium. I was told the kids would all be between 7 and 10, so I planned appropritely, brining a good mix of older kids tricks and little kid tricks. Well, the kids were more like 4-7, so I had to dramiatically shorten the show, also the kids were buck wild and none of the parents seemed to care that kids were leaving their seats and wandering onto stage to look over my props during the show. I was able to get the kids back to their seats but it really distracted from the show. Imagine being in the middle of silk to egg when a kid wanders on stage to have a look at your rabbit box and you get the idea. They then wanted balloon animals after the show and I had to rush to get them done because their rental time was up when the show ended. All in all, I think the client was happy and a man approaced me at church last week whose grandson had been at the party. He told me he heard how good of a job I did and that they plan to have me at his grandson's party. Lastnight at a church service, that little boy was sitting on the pew in front of me. It really made me feel like a celebrity as he could not stop looking at "the magician" all during the service. Its funny how kids are sometimes.

That fun how differently they look at you. I did a magic show at my son's 3rd grade halloween party and now anytime I pick him up at school one little girl comes out hugs my leg and says "Hello Sluggo."
That is how I am now addressed by all the kids "Hi Brent's dad Sluggo."
Ya gotta love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:49 pm 
born to perform.

My daughter absolutely loves it when she gets asked for her autograph or to have her picture taken with an audience member. She is always floating on cloud 9 when it happens--- why? Because it affirms that her show touched someone.

At a recent public show put on by a neighboring city, there was a 'meet 'n greet' after the show with all the performers. My daughter signed autographs, took pictures, but then these two girls literally (age 10+/-)came up to her and started jumping up and down chanting, "I'm your #1 fan, I'm your #1 fan" while the second girl jumped up excitedly next to her and chanted, "I'm your #2 fan". It was just too cute.

At another City event in our own town, a girl from her high school actually saw her perform. My daughter has always kept it private that she does magic from any of her school mates. Her classmate approached her after the show and gave her a huge hug and told her how good she was. Now, whenever she passes her at school she'll tell whoever she is well, "OMG, you would not believe what she did! It was so cool"--- or something along those lines, you get the drift. My daughter has definitely gotten over her shyness about performing magic in regards to school mates! Too many people know now!

I think that is the true gift--- when you can make someone believe in magic. Your gift....is the look of awe and smiles on their faces!

Enjoy the magic in YOUR life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:27 am 
Penguin

Produce a dead dove that flops onto the floor. If that never happens again, it will be to soon.
Thankfully, I was able to pass it off as the bird sleeping, 5-10 year olds do hve there advantages.
Got some pats on the back and words of praise for (direct quote from a parent) courage underfire.