View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advertising?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:44 pm 
Penguin

We see so many topics about creating a show. Lets talk about what works to get the word out that you have a professional show.

I have just recently moved away from solely relying on word of mouth and getting other performers to refer my services and have started putting ads in papers (parent magazines). So far I have received a few good leads.

What does everyone else find effective?

Lets move from talking about building a show and talk about building a business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:52 pm 
born to perform.

I plan to do free shows at my local library, in the kids section. Hopefully, it will go well and kids will enjoy it. Then I plan to pass out buisness cards to the kids, they'll give it to their parents and hopefully, I'll get hired!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:10 pm 
born to perform.

With my daughter being a minor she does not advertise publically. All her jobs come by word-of-mouth, referral, callbacks, or passing out promo material at public venues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:13 pm 

I will admit that free shows do work, they bring in a lot of other shows. Unfortunately all the other shows are expected to be free also. If you want to start a business remember that "show business" is 2 words and both are important.

First make sure you have a good show. It doesn't have to be a real killer up there with Daryl or Greg Wilson, but it has to be the BEST show that you can perform. Lay out the tricks, then build a story around these tricks that is entertaining.

Then start by having a print shop (do NOT use a computer to print) do up your business cards. They should cost around $50 for a thousand cards. Design a one page flyer that talks, not about how good you are, no one cares, but about the benefits of hiring YOU for the party or event. Stress how YOU HELP the customer, how all they need to do is have the audience and you will keep the little ankle biters quiet for a while.

Lastly approach other magicians, I usually call and talk about the party my son is going to have for his 10th birthday and how much do you charge and what do you do. After doing this bit of bull crap... make that lieing....oops I mean market research, set your price to be at or a little above what the others charge. Never lower. I keep my price higher than anyone else and I am booked solid. Yes some will be price shopping but I tell them the truth. I believe that I am the best in the area and I have a 100% guarantee that if they don't like the show it's free. This I learned in a market seminar I attended in 10 years I have NEVER had anyone ask for thier money back or refuse to pay what they owe. As I am the only magician to offer the money back guarantee in this market That will convince a lot of "maybe" people.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:38 pm 
Penguin

WOW Paddy that is a good deal on cards. The thousand I had printed up cost around $130. Ofcourse they are two sided with one side being colour.

This is a good way to start. Keep the ideas coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:59 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Paddy had some great information. I especially agree with the setting the price higher, and the money back guarantee. I use both as well, and it seems to really work out.

One thing that I do is cold call 100's of businesses (or at least I did when I first started). I tried to make sure I called 50-100 people a day (during business days). That included restaurants, bars, clubs, hotels, churches, schools, car dealerships, theaters, and whatever else I thought of that day. After a while, I was able to cut back a little, but I still call about a 100 people every week. Either to follow up on previous talks, or to try to get new customers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:01 am 
born to perform.

My daughter uses Overnightprints.com for her business cards. They are really high quality, full color on both sides, with a UV coating on one side and a matte finish on the other so she can use the grid pattern on the back with her Stockholder, which is a good way to hand out your business card!

Their prices are very reasonable. We also had full-color postcards made by the same company, again very reasonable, and they often send you email discounts as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:41 am 
Team Penguin

I have given TONS of information on different and effective ways of advertising yourself and your business as a magician...search throughout some of the older threads in this section and you will stumble across some of that info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:13 pm 
Penguin

I'm not a very proactive marketeer, yellow pages, website and business cards do for me.

However a lot of the guys are really into their marketing and have a whole host of marketing ideas up their sleeve. These may be really usefull if you're starting out, targeting a new area or selling a new service. Other pros just let word of mouth and a good show do most of the work for them.

One thing I did do recently was add a promo video to my website
( http://www.magicgeorge.co.uk/abcshow ) . Although, I need more clips to make a better promo video the response has been great and I've had quite a few people booking me from the video.

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:35 pm 
Penguin

Kyle- I do understand that you have posted numerous times on how you market and please don’t feel obligated to post again if you wish not to repeat yourself. However the vast majority of the posts in this section are geared towards building a show or specific tricks and these have been posted many times more then anything to do with actually building a business.

I have spent hundreds of dollars on marketing material geared specifically towards magic. The last three years of my life were in college with the primary focus being marketing.

However the more knowledge that you have the better off you are. So occasionally seeing what others are currently finding effective is never a waste of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:38 pm 
Penguin

George- I must say that I really enjoy your video. I always love bits with clothing and the bits with the bow tie are genius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

Great promo video George! As far as marketing strategy, I loved the fact that during the titling of the video you used background audio from your show where the children are laughing. It is obvious the kids are having a great time, and that really stands out before you even GET to the actual clips of yourself. Smart move!

Very enjoyable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:09 pm 

Yes George, I agree with Kristen, your promo is EXCELLENT I really liked the puppetry with he monkey and the racoon, very funny. That's exactly what we should all be, ENTERTAINING. with your abilities you should be full time entertainer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:05 pm 
born to perform.

Here's a tip:

If you have a good graphic's program like Photoshop, you can easily make your own advertising signs very inexpensively and easily modify them from gig-to-gig.

For example, my daughter is doing a show this upcoming weekend for a retirement center in our area. It is part of a large chain, so if this gig goes well it may lead into more work. I made up several small posters, 8 x 12, to be posted around the facilityto advertise to the residents. They are full color posters printed on photographic paper. After designing the poster I just uploaded to Costco.com. At the cost of $1.49 each, the price can't be beat. If you have a larger job where you aren't concerned with having something eat too much into your profits, you can even get actual 'poster' sizes at reasonable prices!

Just a tip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:22 pm 
born to perform.

Years ago, I had some "Planners" printed up. They were tri-fold and the front had a simple design with my contact information. The inside described my party packages (no prices...make them call you for a quote). On the back flap, it gave tips on how to have a successful party along with some information about what to expect at my shows. The back panel of the planner had a place for the guest list and information like what gift they brought and so forth...That comes in handy if they want to send thank you cards to their guests.

I placed these planners in cake shops and bakeries and anywhere else a birthday cake may be ordered or purchased. I also placed them in party supply stores. I refilled my brochure holders every 2 weeks. Got LOTS of leads and jobs with this. You might consider doing something like that.

Another thing I did with medium success is everytime I went out to eat or went somewhere, I left a business card n the table or the counter. People would call me and tell me they found my card at so-and-so....

Just try a whole array of things and see what works for YOU.