View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: $Payment$
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:47 pm 
Penguin

Just out of curiosity, how much do you guys charge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:06 pm 
born to perform.

Our daughter currently only offers a 15-minute show, for which she charges $75.00. When it comes to actually getting paid, she usually makes $100+ with tip.

She is working on putting together a 30 min. magic show, for which she will charge $150.00.

In the meantime, if a client wants her to work a longer duration she can add balloon twisting as an additional service.

I'm not sure if you are an adult, or a youth performer, however-- just be sure that before you begin charging for your performances that you have a well rehearsed, well routined show. Professionalism and entertainment value are key to getting the rates you want and pleasing the client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:07 pm 
Penguin

the answer to that question is ENOUGH. I charge a rate that will allow me to make a living if I obtain a set amount of shows a week. At this point I have not obtained that every week and thus I also have another job.

You must set your rate according to how much you need to live and how much you want to work. If you want to make 500 a week then you have some things to think about. You could do 10 shows for $50 or you could do two shows at $250. You have to decide where you want to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:18 pm 
born to perform.

To the original poster, you also need to think about what other professionals are charging in your area. That is why my daughter sets her rates by her mentor's recommendation.

I forgot to say that in my response above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:40 pm 
Team Penguin

Mine are as follows...

Birthday shows = $130

School shows = $200 for 1st show and $150 for each additional within the same day

Stage show for fairs and such= $250

Corporate functions= $300

Strolling= $150 for the first hour, then $120 for each additional hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:18 pm 

Kyle rates are considered VERY LOW in places like New York City and Chicago. The rates we charge in our area may not be good for where you are. The only rate I know that is fairly standard around the country is for trade shows where US$3000 to US$5000 per day are fairly common. But that market is very hard to get into, people working it don't tell you who to talk to in companies to get booked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:46 pm 
Penguin

I was thinking that Kyles rates were a little low as well but they work for him. At the end of the day there only has be two people happy with your rate (three if your married). That is you and the client. It is a good rule of thumb to try and be at an average rate. However other magicians aren’t booking you, its the general public. So set a rate your happy with and are able to make what ever you determine to be a good living.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:46 am 
Team Penguin

I live in North Georgia...people in that areas simply won't pay $250-$300 for a birthday show and companies and schools have a much more restricted budget than most places. This is why my fees are as they are.

Now...when I book out of state, the prices go up quite a bit...and when I book shows for the Atlanta area, prices go up also.

They may seem low, but the price of living is pretty low for my area, so like you said...it works for me. Now...if I moved to Atlanta, My prices would go up a lot more than this area because the economy of Atlanta is a lot different...and the competition is a little stronger.

Heck...Everyone here knows who David Ginn and Ron Connley are. I was shocked to find out that Ron Connly and David are still charging $175 for a school show...that should tell you a litte about Georgia and South Carolina!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:18 am 
born to perform.

Kyle is so right! Geography plays a huge part in what you can charge for a show, which is why I suggested that people check with other professional magicians in the area.

I have found that some magicians are very open about talking about their rates, while others are not. So, unfortunately, if you don't have a mentor who can guide you-- your only option is to do as Paddy suggests.