View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PA Systems
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:20 pm 
born to perform.

How many of you use PA systems? For those of you that do, what system do you use and what wattage? It is our next investment. We should have purchased one already, but it is our next 'big' purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:44 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I was going to get one. But instead I took some acting lessons from a friend, and learned to project my voice.
So I rarely even need speakers and such when do a stage show, enless its real big or outside.
Though some room types just suck for voice projecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:13 pm 
Penguin

I currently own a fender passport 150. Its a nice unit that can cover some fairly large groups 100-200 people. If the audience is going to be bigger you will have to look to a larger unit.

You also have to consider music control. This could be accomplished using an Ipod and docking station or something extremely advanced like a show tech, which I would love to get in the future but the cost is preventing it right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:22 pm 
born to perform.

My daughter would love a show tech, but that isn't happening for awhile! :lol:

My daughter has recently had the opportunity to use a wireless sytem on two separate occasions. She loved the fact she didn't have to concentrate so hard on projecting her voice to be heard, and so she could focus more on just being relaxed and spontaneous. She said, for her, it made the whole experience much more enjoyable.

I've heard some great things about the Fender, but I'm learning for the Hisonic, which people also seem to like and is a little more budget minded. She can upgrade to a bigger system later on. I'm looking at a 75w or 80w system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:54 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I'm used to projecting my voice. After working in louder bars, and restaurants, it became a must. I used to have a system though, but it was lost in a fire. http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/pro_sound.htm It's a lovely set. I did end up buying a wireless mic for it, but found that for my show, it had some problems. So I stuck to the regular mic. It is more on the expensive side, but it's great if it's in your price range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:58 pm 
born to perform.

For kid shows i project, The few Kid Stage shows (like 200+ kids) i do they have provided me with sound equipment because they just invested in a set and were very proud to allow me to use it, and for walk around at bar and bat mitzvahs i use the Mini Vox. THe mini vox is the perfect size to carry from table to table so i like it.

Ben Winter
ps. I bought the mini vox on ebay for about $40. I wanted to test out what it would be like so i bought it and if i liked it i would buy one from the store. I love it and it works great. I do not see a need to buy a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:36 pm 
Team Penguin

I use one for larger shows only...I don't really use it for birthday parties...The one I have is GREAT and Extremely portable...I know it is a Fender but forgot the wattage and model number...I am about to leave for a gig in TN...when I get back I will let you know.

Mine was supplied to me by a sponsor...so I did't become too aquanted with the specifics...I just know I have been using it almost 5 years now and it is still working GREAT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:25 pm 
born to perform.

I use the Kustom Profile One System.

http://www.kustom.com/pa_systems/profil ... le_one.asp

I also use an Audio-Technica wireless mic system. They are a great combo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:42 pm 
born to perform.

Well, we are still deciding on the system we are going to purchase. We were really thinking of the Hisonic, but now my hubby is leaning towards the Fender.

In the meantime, my hubby found a guitar amp on clearance the other day for a ridiculously low price and couldn't pass it up.

We already had a pro wireless system with a lapel mic, but the lapel mic isn't sufficient so he ran out and got a headset mic that can be used with our existing receiver. This will suffice for this weekend until we can decide which system we will ultimately want to purchase.

Thanks for all your input guys!

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:36 pm 
born to perform.

I have the Hisonic and am very happy with it. The 75watt system they have would be ample enough sound for pretty much anything. They are also very portable and small enough to set on anything.
I have the 35 watt and have done shows in front of two hundred kids in a gym and the sound was great.
They are also very well priced. I use a system for almost every show, one because I do a Vent act and two, I think it appears more professional to the kids and the "paying" parents. It makes me appear as a 'real' entertainer to the kids.
That's just my preference for using them.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:36 pm 
born to perform.

The Hisonic is the one that I want. Very well priced and my daughter has used the 75 watt system before when a friend let her try it out. In my opinion you can't beat the deal. It list for $599 I believe for the entire system, however I found it for $389, including shipping!

You can't come close to a Fender for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:37 pm 
born to perform.

Great find kristen! You're lucky, I've been looking for some new equipment for my band and that is a great price!

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:06 am 
born to perform.

Where did you find it for that price? I'm thinking about getting the 75 watt just in case I need a bigger system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:51 pm 

For larger shows I use a Fender Passport 250 with the built in CD player. It will cover a room of up to 500 people without breaking a sweat and it packs up in minutes.

Kent