View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:51 pm 
Penguin

whats the differnce? wow here we go on the spelling thing when im on a fourm i type fast and dont notice my mistakes .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:53 pm 

ROUTINE. Turn on spell check or get Firefox. That's what I did.

I hate last minute shows. Luckily the worst I've had is 24 hour notice. Luckily my walk around act is always being practiced in the local shop. Either way, people that don't have enough respect for the performer to book him at least a week out, preferably two, I don't generally enjoy the show as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:55 pm 

YeahIDoMagic wrote:
whats the differnce? wow here we go on the spelling thing when im on a fourm i type fast and dont notice my mistakes .

Grammar is a big deal with a few of the guys here. It's a big deal with prospective clients too. If you do any business through email or your website in general, the guy with good grammar will generally win out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:16 pm 
born to perform.

If I'm not available, I recommend someone else.

If I am available, I charge an added fee for bookings within 14 business days of the show date.

I see no point in turning down business if you have an opening, becuase 'if you have opennings - you shouldn't turn down business.'

Secondly, I've had several last minute bookings. The customer rarely sees it as "He had an openning, he must not get any work." They usually assume that I am "squeezing them in", and often apologize (multiple times) for the inconvenience.

If you get a call about a short notice booking, try this:

You: Saturday? (pause) Well, that's usually a busy day, what time?

Response: 4:30pm. . .

You: Let me check my schedule. I know I have another event that evening, but I don't think it's until 6pm (You already know your schedule is open - there is no booking at 6). Incidentally, where is it?

Response: City A.

You: Ooh, That means I would need to come directly from the City B show(party etc.). Uh, okay my schedule says that the evening booking IS at 6, so the most I could do for you is. . . Insert whatever you normally do.

Notes: provide yourself enough time from the time they give (4:30) to do your normal show and chat it up a bit. My birthday show takes 30minutes to perform, then I do a few close-up effects for the parents (totalling 45 minutes of magic). Including set-up and takedown it's around an hour, giving me 1/2 hour to get to the imaginary 6 o'clock show.

Act like you need to come from somewhere. Going somewhere after makes you seem busy, but coming from somewhere makes you "a demanded professional".

Never say that you are "squeezing" them in. This is an old cliche' and a dead give-away that everything you are saying is BS. You can imply it, but never actually use the phrase "squeeze you in".

I consider this a service point, and often so will they. Make sure they know that you're doing them a favor.

If someone gives you a "You must not be that good if you can take a last minute booking" attitude, tell them that "Hmmm, you know on second thought, I could really use the break between my morning and evening shows; sorry I couldn't help you (hang up). This has only happened to me twice - both people called back immediately and begged me to take the job.

Act busy, but don't spite yourself for the sake of acting busy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:18 pm 
Emperor Penguin

YeahIDoMagic wrote:

Sorry, I'm a bit of a spelling and grammar Nazi. But if you want us to help you out, you have to realize that you need to act mature for us to take you seriously. Right now, for all I know, you're a 4th grader on your parents' computer out for a quick buck in Kids' Shows. Show some maturity, and we may give you some advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:23 pm 

dbaker_creator wrote:
If I am available, I charge an added fee for bookings within 14 business days of the show date.

Very good point. Last minute shows mean that you should 1) charge an extra amount and 2) be worth that extra amount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:45 pm 
born to perform.

Generally speaking, I don't like to book jobs less than two weeks in advance. However, I have and will likely continue to take "short notice" gigs from time to time. Whether I take the job really depends on a number of things, not the least of which are my schedule and my mood.

I'm pretty much always packed and ready to go for a family/kid's show 30-60 minutes long. So prepping is not really an issue. It really comes down to whether or not I personally can or want to do the job. If I'm booked already or busy with something else, I don't do it; if my wife has other plans, I don't do it; if I just don't feel like it... I don't do it. But if there's nothing in the way and the client is desperate and willing to pay the upcharge I tack onto short-notice shows, I'll probably do it -- though, whether I take the job or not, I impress on the client that I usually require two weeks notice.

Another thing I consider is how likely it is that taking the job would lead to additional work coming my way.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:07 pm 
born to perform.

I've never taken one the same day. It's to hectic, but usually I have the weekend already planned out.
If I don't have shows to do I've planned a day with the family units.