View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "free shows"
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:27 pm 

I was in another forum for magi, to be nameless, and ran across this post. He gave me permission to post part of it here.

Quote:
An instructive story: Someone representing an organization called me up, asking me to do an outdoor show. The entire set-up sounded chaotic, and even though they were paying, I just didn't want to get into what I thought'd be a mess. There's another guy around who does magic so I mentioned him as an alternative. The guy said, "Him? Forget it. He's performed for us for free lots of times--we're sure not going to pay him."

See what free shows get you? Only other free shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:01 am 
born to perform.

I see, but you may just want to do some "free shows" at say, a hospital or another place like that but i would NEVER do a "free show" even if it was 10 minutes long.

Scott Romansky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:31 am 
born to perform.

Free shows are sometimes good, but you have to choose when and where to do them. You have to market yourself right. You can actually get a lot of advertisement from doing free shows. You have to let people know that you do shows for different types of venues.
It sounds like the guy did more than one free show for this company. Maybe they wanted to pay him the other times, but he just said he would do it for free. If they want to pay you, take the money.
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:15 am 
born to perform.

If someone is starting in magic, then a couple of free shows for the local Library or somthing would be fine to get your name around. Bearing in mind they were starting in magic and needed the experience. But I would never do a free show for a company or organisation. But, doing a show for free is better than charging horribly cheap prices.

:D DW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:21 am 

My friends, one of whom owns the local shop, are starting something they call Cheating for Charity. It's a performance of con games like the Three Card Monte, Shell Game, Fast and Loose, and others. Instead of just donating your money to charity, you play the games and even have the "chance" of winning. Whatever they win, they donate to whatever charity they're performing for. They decided they were going to do some free shows at first and then start charging later on. I don't see a problem in doing a free show here and there for something you personally believe in.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:18 pm 
born to perform.

I agree Exodus,
I already do a number a charities for Shriner's, but I have donated a free show to be auctioned off to raise money for a good reason or another. I would never do even a reduced fee for a Corporate event. You pick and choose though, I don't hand out freeby's to often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:55 pm 
Penguin

Not to mention you devalue your product.

To use a couple of points I came across in Visions the other day:

-First and foremost, you are a professional, not a magician. Other professionals don't do free service. Think of how strange it would be to have a plumber every now and then do some free pipe work.

-Second, as paddy so eloquently put it, free shows get you more free shows. Picture this:

-"You're pretty darn good at this. That was a great show."
-"Thanks. I usually charge $200 an hour, but that one was on the house."

How odd is that? If somebody can get something for free, they will. End of story. If they know you're willing to give away free shows, they'll never pay you again.

-Finally, there's no such thing as a demonstration show. If someone wants to hire you, let them. If they're not happy, work it out after the show. If you don't misrepresent yourself, you shouldn't have that problem anyway. No other job ever just does some free work to show you how good they are.

Doing free work for a reason (charity, etc.) is one thing. Just doing free work is another. Let's not be stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:43 pm 
Team Penguin

If you thoroughly enjoy magic, and you are not doing it "just for the money" you would not mind doing a few free shows. Even GREAT magicians such as David Copperfield and many others donate their time to certain events for free.

If the show is for a good cause, and/or you know you could pull good business from it, then I say "Go ahead, give them your magic!" WHat have you got to lose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:56 pm 
born to perform.

You do charity shows to get your name out. A lotta corporate bigwigs and rich folks go to the shows. If you're really good, a charity show could end up netting you several corporate gigs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:12 pm 

aznshadyboi1 wrote:
You do charity shows to get your name out. A lotta corporate bigwigs and rich folks go to the shows. If you're really good, a charity show could end up netting you several corporate gigs.

I don't say not to do charity shows. I say don't do FREE shows, like the library and other places. Charity is one thing, publicity shows are another.

As to the above quote, myself and EVERY member of my Ring and Assembly have had the same experience in years of doing shows. We have NEVER gotten a paid gig form a charity show. The only thing any of us have gotten is a request to do a show for another charity.

Post subject: We all come to it for various reasons
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:54 am 
Penguin

My header was a lesson I learned in beginner Taoist Tai Chi and that was don't try to pressure your situation on other participants. I truly believe the situation of everyone varies as do the reasons for their performing.
In another context I believe it would not be useful for one to claim their way(i.e.-predestiny, eternal salvation, transubstantitation, consubstantitation, rebirth) is the only way to fly. With respect. Ron0

Post subject: where are my eyes?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:21 pm 
Penguin

My apologies to those denominations which embrace transsubstantiation and consubstantiation. I forgot my "i's" in my original post. :oops: Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:53 am 
Emperor Penguin

There is a difference between one free show and "lots of free shows." That was that guy's mistake.

Post subject: Whoops!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:52 am 
Penguin

Point taken but I believe it depends on one's financial situation and also one's direction.
Dread..I know this sounds conservative, but some folks are in a situation
where it is now time to return help to fellow citizens.
Again, mini shows in isolated areas which have never and will never see a ventriloquist and some basic magic ignite little peoples' dream machines.
I now work daily with seniors(retirement homes) and now weekly with nursery schools. Vent and 101 magic and driving folks.
For a few years I obtained good, acoustic guitars and taught hundreds of 11 and 12 year olds the basic G, D, C, A seventh chords; and basic blues. Folks. I did the same with harmonicas, and electrics in high schools.
Folks, no teaching is involved when you give a kid a guitar..they inhale rock and roll..wanna know how many times I have heard Smoke On The Water?
Music stores love me.Now I am introducing magic and vent to the schools. Of course, the result will be that we will soon have developed a market for professional entertainers. :) What goes...Ron0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:34 am 
born to perform.

My daughter does a lot of volunteer work with children. In the course of her work she will sometimes put on a free show for the kids. Her "bosses" know she works for money, and they know that the money she earns goes into her college fund. Although my daughter doesn't charge for her "kids", because that is something that SHE wants to do a few times during the summer that is special for them-- the recreation district has still hired her and paid her rate for performing at public events.

I think it is also HOW you do a free show and HOW you present yourself when the situation arises when its time to talk business.