View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Opinions on last-minute gigs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:09 pm 
Penguin

NOTE: I DO NOT HAVE A GIG I WAS ONLY WONDERING

I was wondering on what people thought of gigs that were on short notice (3/4 days away). If people could respond with opinions it would be great.

I am specifically asking for professionals or semi-professionals that perform gigs regularly.

Thanks,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:16 pm 
born to perform.

It's simple. if you have an established routine that you perform well and has been tested time and again, taking a short notice gig is fine provided you can make it there. (My opinion only). If, however, you feel as though you wouldn't be giving the client the best possible show, it's best to turn them down or direct them to another entertainer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:18 pm 
Emperor Penguin

miniserb hit it on the head.

If you already have a finished product? No skin off your back.

If you take a gig when you don't perform an act regularily, you should be reffering them to someone in the community that does.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:37 pm 
born to perform.

with my kid show, as long as I have a half hour notice I am fine. RIght now if somebody called asked for a show in 30 minutes I could do it. So, as long as I am available i will accept a gig whenever.

Ben Winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:56 pm 
Penguin

Yeah, like the others said, as long as you have a solid routine, then you're all set. But always remember to never double book. I accidentally did that once, but luckily I was able to reschedule with no consequences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:34 pm 
Penguin

I like to have a minimum of 1 week notice. This is purely so I can go through all the proper steps in my sales process. However if there is a space open and I have confirmation at least one day prior (Friday for a Saturday gig) then I will gladly take it.
I would probably never take a gig if someone called the day of (it has never happened) unless it was a fellow entertainer that wasn’t able to make it for some unpreventable reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:41 am 

When people call with a last minute gig I always tell them I'm booked. One reason is that I am booked at least 14 days in advance, but I would turn it down any way. When they ask if I know someone who is open I tell them very bluntly: Anyone who is available on this short of a notice wouldn't be good enough for me to recommend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:38 am 
Penguin

Why do you respond to it that way, Paddy?

I can understand if it was someone who just decided to order an entertainer, last minute, as an afterthought. (I'm not a flaming pizza!)

But usually a last minute booking is because of an emergency. Someone has let them down or the weather has changed last minute.

The poor booker is usually in a terrible panic, I can't see why not accepting the job and dissing anyone who can can be beneficial to yourself or our trade in general.

Obviously if the booking is over the weekend, 9 times out of 10 I'll be busy I'll still recommend a few people just on the off chance they'll have a slot free. I have done a few last minuters in my time. They're quite fun, when you turn up your a hero. When they see you're actually good , as well, you're a gift from above.

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:47 am 
Team Penguin

The shortest notice I have ever had was 2 hours...

Yesterday I booked one 6 hours in advance...

I HATE LAST MINUTE GIGS!!!!!! Especially when they are for a large function and I have limited time to Fill out a contract and get it signed...

I like to be notified at least a week and a half to two weeks in advance...but there is nothing you can do when somebody calls you at the last minute...if you think you can make it that is...I know some performers who turn down ALL last minute gigs whether they are busy or not.

If I think I can make it last minute...I will go...if a little unsure...I tell the client that I will be unable to make it.

The guy that called me yesterday wanted me for yesterday evening and tonight...this weekend I have a grand total of 6 shows booked! It is a good paying yet busy Halloween weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:23 am 
born to perform.

Kyle,

Enjoy your busy weekend. When you start feeling harried from running from one job to the next, just remember your wallet getting thicker and the money you'll be able to put away, or buy more magic with!

Congrats on having such a booked calendar for the weekend. It goes to prove you are a real entertainer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:46 am 
Team Penguin

Thanks Kristen.

for the past two and a half months, Every weekend has been booked up SOLID...Between college and magic...I am ready for somewhat of a break...

My break will come after the 1st weekend of November...I have only 3 shows booked for november...and that actually makes me happy...I need a few weekends to re-group myself!

Oh...I had new promo shots taken two days ago and they are on the site now...check them out and let me know what you think! One is on the homepage, one is under contact information, and two are under "brief biography"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:44 pm 
Penguin

Well if I Have a well planned rountue than I'll take it

If im not prepared,or need to buy more balloon, or not avaible , etc I turn them down but recomnednd then to one of my friends

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:23 pm 
Team Penguin

YeahIDoMagic wrote:
Well if I Have a well planned rountue than I'll take it

If im not prepared,or need to buy more balloon, or not avaible , etc I turn them down but recomnednd then to one of my friends

a well planned what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:37 pm 
Penguin

rountine however you spell it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:50 pm 
Emperor Penguin

YeahIDoMagic wrote:
rountine however you spell it.

There's a big difference between rountue and routine. If you're looking to book shows, you should at least know how to spell.