View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Different price depending on what event it is?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:32 pm 
Penguin

I have a little problem. I started last year with performing at kids parties, school parties or at a kind of "town party"

What should i say when people ask me how much i charge for a show?

Usually i say it depends on what event it is, but recently i should peform for a kid of school party and the person who hired me had asked me what i took for a Birthday Party, and she thought i took that for all my shows.

My Pricelist is like this:

Birthday Party (Kids) = 60$
Family Party = 100 $
"Town Party" (dont know how to say it ) = 300$

I just told the person that i always took 100 $. Anyone who have some advises for me about this?

Thanks for your help

Magiske Morten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:50 pm 
born to perform.

You say it depends entirely on the event. Every event is individual and catered to the clients needs.

You have 3 prices for 3 different events, etc.

Post subject: Re: Different price depending on what event it is?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:34 pm 

Mortenaak wrote:
I have a little problem. I started last year with performing at kids parties, school parties or at a kind of "town party"...My Pricelist is like this:
Family Party = 100 $
I just told the person that i always took 100 $. Anyone who have some advises for me about this?
Thanks for your help

Magiske Morten

I see a major problem here, no make that 2 problems. First one WHAT THE H**L is a "town party? Same question what's the difference between a "birthday party" and a "family party?"

Second is why bother to do anything at those prices. Sorry but at $60 for a birthday party I believe you get what you pay for and $60 buys pure junk.

As I understand this, and please correct my definitions, a "town party" would be a large crowd where you would be performing for several hours. The rate that would be competitive is a daily rate. Most magicians I know charge $1000 a day MINIMUM some are a lot higher. For parties, no matter what they are, the least acceptable rate I know of is $125 per hour with a 1 hour minimum. In other words a half hour gig is still $125, just like a full hour, a gig for 90 minutes is $250 because it uses up part of a second hour. If anybody balks at these rates I tell them to "book someone else but I have a deal with all the other magicians, they don't charge my rates and I don't drop my quality to match theirs.

If your not proud enough of your own work to set your rates up to meet the standard in your area, give up performing.

Post subject: Re: Different price depending on what event it is?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:10 pm 
born to perform.

Mortenaak wrote:

My Pricelist is like this:

Family Party = 100 $

Thanks for your help

Magiske Morten

I don't know about you, but I charge more for a kid's show than older crowd - because kid's shows are so much harder. But it depends on length, and I don't know what you classify a "family" party as.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:36 am 
born to perform.

No No No you should not charge based on what is harder, but rather on the audience with the biggest budget. Ie, the majority, kids parties the least, corporate the most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:36 am 
Penguin

The problem about this is that the person who hired me for a show at a school asked me how much i charged. I said 100$ and then she sais she thought it was only 60$, and that she was thinking of hiring me for a kids party on another date. Then i just said that the price was the same :?

Do you guys think i should just tell her directly that it depends on the event and thats it?

The other magicians (The Proffesionels) in my country (Denmark (very small country)), take around 1000$ a show, but i think that is too much... what do you guys think?

Thanks for your help

Magiske Morten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:38 am 
born to perform.

Yes tell her. Pros often give a price especially through agents for 2 hours of their time, in London approx £400-1000 ($800-2000), and you can upsell, but you clearly have not learnt how so tell them diff prices for each event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:21 pm 

Mortenaak wrote:
...The other magicians (The Proffesionels) in my country (Denmark (very small country)), take around 1000$ a show, but i think that is too much... what do you guys think?

Thanks for your help

Magiske Morten

Don't undercut the other magicians. Charge the same as they do. If you start undercutting them, just wait until you need their help, you'll find they won't talk to you.

It is not important what YOU think, it's all about what the CUSTOMER THINKS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:40 pm 
Penguin

The problem is that im only 16. The other magicians on my age also only take around 100$. What do you think i should do? Just take the same as the proffesionals or take what i do now? Or maybe find something in between?

Thanks for your help

Magiske Morten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:23 pm 

I suppose instead of calling it a “Town Party” It would be a community event. In Germany I performed many festivals and holiday events for children that were sponsored by the township, school or club.

I usually charged 250 € to 500 € per hour, based on the size of the venue and how much set-up time was involved.

Basically you must charge what you think you are worth. Age and performance experience factors in dramatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:29 pm 
born to perform.

Mortenaak wrote:
The problem is that im only 16.

Set aside your age for a moment and think in terms of the quality of your act. If your act is not worth the current market rates for magic in your area, then you shouldn't put yourself on the market.

There have been and are some successful magicians who are in their teens, and a (very) few who were able to acheive success at an even younger age. The truth is that some (perhaps most) of them received some training from actual adult professional magicians. They didn't just pick up a few DVDs off the 'Net, learn a few tricks in their bedrooms, and decide to "go pro."

In general, I'm going to discourage teen and pre-teen magicians from trying to compete in their local magic markets not just because of their age per se, but because the reality is that most teens and pre-teens who do magic are not good enough to do it for money. Not only that, but they are also not mature enough mentally or emotionally to face the reality of real-world public performance.

Entertainment is a business; when you enter the entertainment marketplace as a magician, you are not just a magician... you are a businessperson and must be prepared to face the responsibilities and realities that come with that.

Saying "I'm cheap because I'm 16" (or 13 or 12 or whatever) is really saying "I'm cheap because I'm not really ready to be doing this."

Last edited by TheCaffeinator on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:51 am 
Penguin

Thanks for all your help and advices.

I am just a little nervous if i charge around 500$ or more for every show, that people dont think it was worth the money?
I have been doing magic for 2 years (i know its not much) and performed for a little less than 1 year.

What do you gusy think i should do? Just charge more (500-1000$) or keep it low?

Once again thanks for your help

Magiske Morten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:58 am 
born to perform.

you clearly are not 500-1000 level. do free shows for 3-4 years first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:01 pm 
Penguin

Well i do perform now for kids parties and so, and then i take around 60-100$. You think i should just stop performing or what? Because i am getting a little unsure about this because of all the answers on this thread :?

Thanks for your help

Magiske Morten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:17 pm 
born to perform.

If you know other adult professionals in the area, and you have a relationship with any of them, ask them to be honest with you. Have them tell you what you are worth--- and the type of work you should be doing at this point of your magic career. Now, don't just do this with anyone, because you want honest feedback from someone you trust.

My daughter is only 14 and performs. She does private parties and public events. She is comfortable in her pricing, and the venues she does because she has received a lot of encouragement from her mentor and our other magician friends.

I think you would really benefit by getting involved in some sort of magic affiliation. Some where you can meet on a regular basis with other magicians and network. You will find this invaluable.

Good luck.