View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Price problems
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:20 pm 
Penguin

hello, I have bin doing kids parties and other events for a cupple months, but im still not 100% on what to charge. Right now Im charging $50, but I think thats cinda high, but I have seen lots of threads here saying that that is too low. If not $50, how much would you recomend I charge.

P.S Most magicions around here charge about $100.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:28 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I do not know this from personal experience, but rather from every single pro I have talked to about pricing. Do not undersell other magicians! It shows that you don't think you're putting on as good of a show as them, and are therefore not ready to be in the business! Charge as much of them, if not more... assuming you're show is qualified to be "bought" at all. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:52 pm 
born to perform.

Braady,

This topic has been covered several times, even recently. Perhaps if you reviewed some of the information it will help you to get a better idea of where to go next in what you could/should be charging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:01 pm 

Yep, it has been covered, but I'll say go ahead and charge $50 LESS than the others in your area. Then if you ever need help, because you overbooked, or help learning a new trick, just ask the others and you will soon find out what happens to kids the undercut the others. You might get the help in about 3 or 4 years.

Undercutting prices makes real enemies. BTW learn how to spell check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:45 am 
born to perform.

You know, Paddy brings up a very valid point and one that I was really worried about in the beginning. You HAVE to have someone you can call if you are in the position of needing a backup.

Our problem was that our daughter was not undercutting her prices, but she did a shorter show, which meant less money. Luckily, we have some wonderful friends in the magic community and one of them graciously offered to cover her if the need ever arose and he will accept whatever terms she has made with her client.

I can't state enough how important it is to have someone that is willing to do that for you because you want to be professional and know you have made every attempt to please the client if for some reason you cannot make your show---- which should always be the very last resort. When you make a commitment, you should do everything in your power to see it through!!

Good point Paddy --- you have to work with the other magicians in your area so do not distance yourself from them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:26 pm 
born to perform.

Paddy and Kristenl, You're both right on the money !

In fact this happened to a fellow magi in my area. He and I have argued time and time again about our rates. He feels mine are too high. I KNOW his are too low.

As fate would have it, he overbooked himself. He called and asked me if I would cover the extra gig. He said he was charging his normal rate(which is ridiculously low !). I told him if I'm to do this show for the amount of time slated, that I will require my regular fee.

Needless to say he wasn't happy. He asked if I'd do it as a favor to him. I replied "Why should I take a pay cut just because you're willing to do so ?"

He ended up providing this client with a sub standard magician. It didn't go over well with the client at all. Suffice it to say that the client was unhappy, and have told my friend that they will not be asking for his services ever again !

Bottom line folks.......You get what you pay for !!!!